• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
AA Thomson.Cricket My Pleasure.

Has some beautiful pieces like this and some lovely memories of Yorkshire. This particular one is called 'Cricket in the hearth'

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
If you are interested in Thomson this link has a piece on Jessop. It is from Thomson's novel 'The exquisite burden'. Jessop did hit an 89 against Yorkshire but this is a mixture of facts and memories.

That innings of Jessop's . . . It was not an innings. It was a glamour; it was witchery; it was thunder and lightning. The Croucher bent almost double. The steel spring snapped viciously. The ball sped, as though hurled to everlasting punishment. It was not Ajax defying the lightning. It was Ajax catching the lightning and insolently flinging it back in the face of heaven. Fieldsmen who, a moment before, had been practically leaning against the bat's face, went scurrying back to the boundary-edge. They were at the mercy of elemental force. For thirty-three minutes the might of Yorkshire was impotent. Rhodes was a schoolboy. Hirst a village-green trundler.

Old men will show you the marks on the face of the pavilion clock which Jessop's second sixer shattered. They will point out the exact spot in Copperbeech Avenue where the hansom cab was standing at the moment when Jessop's third stupendous sixer fell through its roof. That crowded half-hour was hardly cricket; it was divine madness. The telegraph-board moved like a cinema-film till even the ranks of Tuscany - and there is nothing quite as Tuscan in the world as a Yorkshire cricket crowd - could scarce forbear to cheer. In those thirty-three minutes Jessop's partner made four runs. Jessop made eighty-nine. Then, in the height of his glory, Haigh clean bowled him.

After the bails flew, there was for at least five seconds, a silence, dazed and palpable. Then a hysterical roar rent the sky. Jessop was out.
I love such stuff !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
AA Thomson.Cricket My Pleasure.

Has some beautiful pieces like this and some lovely memories of Yorkshire. This particular one is called 'Cricket in the hearth'
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Very well done.

Yes. thats the source and he is talking of playing cricket in the kitchen

My pitch was the kitchen-hearth, with a steel fender running along the off-side and the old stone sink at long leg. While play was in progress, I used to kneel on the rug; my right hand was the batsman and my left hand was the bowler. The bat was a school ruler, the ball was a small rubber one, valued at a penny, and the wicket was a propped up copy of Pilgrim's Progress.

Morally, I was right, though it was difficult on an honest kitchen rug to reproduce the horrors of a Melbourne 'sticky dog'.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
If you are interested in Thomson this link has a piece on Jessop. It is from Thomson's novel 'The exquisite burden'. Jessop did hit an 89 against Yorkshire but this is a mixture of facts and memories.

I love such stuff !
Thanks a ton.

I took it from a book I have called the Joy of Cricket which is a collection of some great cricket articles.

Thomson is a fantastic writer. We must exchange notes on these articles sometimes.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> I took it from a book I have called the Joy of Cricket which is a collection of some great cricket articles.

Joy of cricket was one of first cricket books. I got it second hand for just 6 rupees in 1990. And since it was one of my first books, I know it inside out. It was only last year that my income became large enough to buy Cricket My Pleasure :)

Schoolboy's Hero by Alan Ross in that book is one of my favourites. Especially the last three paragraphs.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
>> I took it from a book I have called the Joy of Cricket which is a collection of some great cricket articles.

Joy of cricket was one of first cricket books. I got it second hand for just 6 rupees in 1990. And since it was one of my first books, I know it inside out :)

Schoolboy's Hero by Alan Ross in that book is one of my favourites. Especially the last three paragraphs.
6 rupees !! Thats worse than a steal :p

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Going offtopic, but do you visit the 'Old and Second hand book stall' near Metro ? It used to have some excellent out of print cricket books.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Going offtopic, but do you visit the 'Old and Second hand book stall' near Metro ? It used to have some excellent out of print cricket books.
Thanks for the tip.

Where exctly is it ?

Do you live in Bombay yourself ?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I lived in Bombay for two years in the late nineties.

The Metro theatre stands near a junction. This is on one corner of that, on the Marine Lines side. I used to walk from Marine Lines station. Takes some 10 minutes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
I lived in Bombay for two years in the late nineties.

The Metro theatre stands near a junction. This is on one corner of that, on the Marine Lines side. I used to walk from Marine Lines station. Takes some 10 minutes.
Where do you live now ?

shankar

International Debutant
This man was the first in cricketing history to take four first-class wickets with four successive balls. He was the father of a great SF author. Whoisit?

biased indian

International Coach

I didnt got the answer for my question and how come u have started asking questions again SJS Tapioca Shanker :@ :@ :@

SJS pls be patient enogh for the person who asked the question to clarify the answer or u r 100% sure about u r answer
u r answer was wrong and the one u gave the answer was a simple one given there just to mislead u :D :D :D

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> I didnt got the answer for my question and how come u have started asking questions again SJS Tapioca Shanker

Good. That saves me from the responsibility of asking the next one :)