• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, my go I guess!

The Lawrence Trophy is awarded every year for the fastest century in the English first-class summer. Richard Johnson won it this year with a ton in 63 balls.

My question is this: who has won the trophy with the slowest century & how many balls did his 100 take?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In 2000, Darren Lehmann scored his century playing for Yorkshire against Kent at the St Lawrence Ground in Canterbury. His century came off 89 balls, in 128 minutes hitting 14 fours. This was the slowest ever winning century.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I looked it up. NP's answer is technically correct.

Between 1966 and 1970 only England's international matches were considered for the award. Including them, the slowest is Tom Graveney's 174 ball 100 in 1968 at Port of Spain. If you exclude these years, Lehmann's is the slowest.

Neil Pickup

However, I've just discovered that in 1971, Geoffrey Boycott scored his Test Match century in 222 balls for England playing against the Rest of the World at The Oval. The Trophy was presented for the most meritorious innings of the series as opposed to the fastest century.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, I was being a little sneaky. In 1970 it was actually awarded to the most meretricious century, which was deemed as being Geoffrey Boycott's 222 ball effort for England v The Rest of The World. Which is technically the slowest ever to win, albeit under different criteria.

So Neil is welcome to ask the next q. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
However, I've just discovered that in 1971, Geoffrey Boycott scored his Test Match century in 222 balls for England playing against the Rest of the World at The Oval. The Trophy was presented for the most meritorious innings of the series as opposed to the fastest century.
Ooops. You just beat me to it!

Neil Pickup

I got it anyway :p

Staying on the Walter Lawrence theme, which player came close to putting me in prime position to share the journalists' predictions title this year, only to get himself out following a rain break?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question-

Who are the Indian Captains who have won more Tests than lost V Australia ?

Who are the Australian Captains who have the best record against India (ie Won >>> than lost) (there are three who haven't lost a single test and one other also with an impressive win loss ratio). ?

Who are the two Aussie Captains with worst win loss ratio (ie more losses than wins) in head to head Test matches ?

Answer to question in bold wins.

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
Indian captains with more wins than losses vs AUS.....Gavaskar and Ganguly ?

Benaud, Lawry, and Simpson for the bold ??

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Deja moo said:
Indian captains with more wins than losses vs AUS.....Gavaskar and Ganguly ?

Benaud, Lawry, and Simpson for the bold ??
1 out of 3 correct :) for the bold.

Gavaskar and Ganguly correct for the Indian Captains.
SM Gavaskar Won 3 , Lost 1, Drawn 5
SC Ganguly Won 3 , Lost 2, Drawn 2

OK Lawry correct (1 out of 3) Won 5 lost 1 drawn 1. But 3 others who did not lose a single Test . Clue -Think of the 2 icons of Australian cricket - one all time great, and the other who revived Australia from late 70s WSC saga.

Last edited: