• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Nope, not the one I'm looking for. Something only he has done in first class cricket (as far as I know).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Krishneelz , Mate you were on the right track, only just off the mark.Roller is the only player in the history of First Class Cricket anywhere to have taken a hat trick and scored a double century in the same game.

In all fairness I think you deserve to ask the next question since you got it more or less.

BTW , Krishneelz you have got the best avatar Mate. :thumbup1:
Its bloody Cool Man. :cool:

Last edited:

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
Awsome Jason dude... We need some dudes like you here out in sydney. :D

So thanks to Jason I have the honour of asking the next question

who was the only wicket keeper to stump Sir Donald Bradman?

and this ones for you jason

Bhausahib Nimbalkar(India) was on 443*, with one day to go in a first-class match, just 9 short of the then world record 452* held by Bradman, but was unable to play on the final day, because he had to go and get married.

Funny but sad eh

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
krishneelz said:
Bhausahib Nimbalkar(India) was on 443*, with one day to go in a first-class match, just 9 short of the then world record 452* held by Bradman, but was unable to play on the final day, because he had to go and get married.

Funny but sad eh
Sorry to disappoint you Krish. This story has gained currency but isnt true. The fact is that Kathiawad, the opponents, once they realised Nimbalkar would make a world record, decided not to take the field since they did not want to get into the record book for negative reasons. :-O

Don was never stumped in tests so it must have been in a first class game

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
krishneelz said:
Awsome Jason dude... We need some dudes like you here out in sydney. :D

So thanks to Jason I have the honour of asking the next question

who was the only wicket keeper to stump Sir Donald Bradman?
George Duckworth,off the bowling of Hedley Verity, during the Australian tour of 1934 playing for HDG Leveson-Gower's XI v Australia.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have been able to find one instance of Bradman being stumped, by Duckworth off verity for 132 in 1934 playing for Australia vs HDG Levenson-Gower XI.

Considering that he was stumped 11 times in first class games in his career, I doubt if Duckworth stumped him everytime.

For example in 1927-28 he was stumped in the game against Victoria in the sheffield shield. Probably his first such dismissal in first class cricket.

Sheffield Shield, 1927/28
New South Wales v Victoria
Sydney Cricket Ground
26,27,28,30,31 January 1928 (5-day match)

Result: Match drawn

Toss: New South Wales
Umpires: WG French and AC Jones
Balls per over: 8

Close of play:

Day 1: New South Wales 349/7 (Oldfield 18*, Nicholls 39*)
Day 2: New South Wales 533, Victoria 158/1 (Woodfull 74*, Hendry 73*)
Day 3: Victoria 422, New South Wales 0/0 (Phillips 0*, Jackson 0*)
Day 4: New South Wales 353/8 (Bradman 134*, Mailey 11*)
New South Wales 1st innings
JM Gregory lbw b Morton 12
A Jackson c Hendry b a'Beckett 11
TJE Andrews c & b Morton 4
*AF Kippax b a'Beckett 134
JG Morgan b Blackie 110
DG Bradman st Ellis b Blackie 7
NE Phillips lbw b a'Beckett 0
+WAS Oldfield c sub (AJW Lansdown) b a'Beckett 101
CO Nicholls b a'Beckett 110
AA Mailey b a'Beckett 12
RLA McNamee not out 8
Extras (b 16, lb 1, w 1, nb 6) 24
Total (all out, 123.6 overs, 476 mins) 533

FoW: 1-25, 2-25, 3-31, 4-276, 5-290,
6-291, 7-291, 8-495, 9-510, 10-533.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
All of Don's stumpings :

KEEPER (Team- Season)

- AT Hack (S Australia 1927-28)
- JL Ellis (Victoria-1927-28)
- Duckworth (Leverson-Gower XI-1934)
- D. Tallon (Queensland – 36-37)
- OI Lovelock ( W Australia 37-38)
- A Wood (Yorkshire – 1938)
- HG Davies (Glamorgan – 1938)
- EA Baker (Victoria 46-47) 1st innings
- EA Baker (Victoria 46-47) 2nd innings
- PK Sen (India 47-48)
- EH Edrich (Lancashire – 1948)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
It appears from SJS's comments above, that this question is erroneous. Since Krishneelz has not come back to acknowledge the correct answer, I will go ahead and ask the next question.

Question -

Who was the only bowler to claim Bradman's wicket 'hit wicket' in tests ?I believe there is only one other instance that Bradman was out hitwicket in a FC match. When, Where ? ( I could be wrong on the second part)

Answer to question in bold wins. (should be an easy one for SJS :p )

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
It appears from SJS's comments above, that this question is erroneous. Since Krishneelz has not come back to acknowledge the correct answer, I will go ahead and ask the next question.

Question -

Who was the only bowler to claim Bradman's wicket 'hit wicket' in tests ?I believe there is only one other instance that Bradman was out hitwicket in a FC match. When, Where ? ( I could be wrong on the second part)

Answer to question in bold wins. (should be an easy one for SJS :p )
Yes. Thats an easy one. Lala Amarnath had him hit wicket for 185 in the first test at Brisbane in Dec 1947. It was the Don's 101st first class hundred having got the century of centuries a couple of weeks earlier also against the hapless Indians :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Yes. Thats an easy one. Lala Amarnath had him hit wicket for 185 in the first test at Brisbane in Dec 1947. It was the Don's 101st first class hundred having got the century of centuries a couple of weeks earlier also against the hapless Indians :D
Correct . I am not sure about the second part, but it has been claimed that Don Bradman's only other instance of being out hit wicket was in Sri Lanka(then Ceylon) in this match-

Australia in Ceylon, 1929-30
Ceylon v Australians
Colombo Cricket Club, Colombo
3 April 1930 (1-day match)

Result: Match drawn

Toss: Australians
Umpires: AC Amath and WS Flindall

Australians innings
WH Ponsford c van Geyzel b Kelaart 62
SJ McCabe c Horan b Siedle 20
DG Bradman hit wicket b Joseph 40
*WM Woodfull c Kelaart b Horan 54
VY Richardson c de Silva b Kelaart 6
AG Fairfax c Horan b Kelaart 19
EL A'Beckett b Kelaart 10
TW Wall c Gunasekera b Joseph 5
A Hurwood b Kelaart 10
WAS Oldfield not out 1
+CW Walker b Kelaart 4
Extras 2
Total (all out, 77.5 overs) 233

FoW: 1-?, 2-?, 3-?, 4-?, 5-?, 6-?, 7-?, 8-?, 9-?, 10-233.

Bowling O M R W
Horan 21 4 73 1
Gunasekera 7 2 31 0
Siedle 12 0 38 1
Kelaart 29.5 4 65 6
Brindley 3 1 10 0
Joseph 5 0 14 2

Over to you for next question. :whistling

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Correct . I am not sure about the second part, but it has been claimed that Don Bradman's only other instance of being out hit wicket was in Sri Lanka(then Ceylon) in this match-

Australia in Ceylon, 1929-30
Ceylon v Australians
Colombo Cricket Club, Colombo
3 April 1930 (1-day match)

Over to you for next question. :whistling
Yes thats right. Sunce this match is not considered a first class game nor listed under second class or First Grade games, I couldnt locate it even in The Bradman Albums which list all his innings.

next question shortly

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is an interesting one.

Which is the most 'undesirable' maiden over ever bowled ??

:p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Something from back when no balls and wides did't go against the bowlers anaylsis I guess, but wouldn't know when.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Something from back when no balls and wides did't go against the bowlers anaylsis I guess, but wouldn't know when.
\Yes from those times.

In 1935-56, MCC's vs NZLand at Dunedin, JH Human bowled 30 balls in one over !!

24 normal deliveries and an assortment of 24 wides and no balls. He wasnt scored off in the over so it was a maiden in those days :-O :-O :-O

You can ask next Marc.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which bowler conceded the most runs scored in an over (in any form of Cricket) by the first ICC ODI player of the year?

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Not sure what you mean by the question but here goes:

S. Jayasuriya has twice scored 30 off an over versus both A. Sohail and C. Harris (although A. Sohail had a noball in his over)