• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> Is this really cricket trivia ?

Matter of opinion :)

Who is the only batsman to open the innings and be the last man out in both innings of a test match ?

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
Oh oh. I missed the point. It was an incomplete match.

India versus Sri Lanka 1996. Less than an hour's play was possible in the entire test :p

By the way, I just found out that the Melbourne test between S Africa and Aussies, I mentioned above WAS the shortest completed match ever. The total playing time was 5 hrs and 53 mins :D

correct.....50 minutes to be exact .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Who is the only batsman to open the innings and be the last man out in both innings of a test match ?

Desmond Haynes , West Indies V New Zealand , Dunedin , 8,9,10,12,13 February 1980.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since I know my answer is correct, :smartass: I am going ahead with next question while awaiting Tapioca to confirm the answer!!

Captain on Test Debut scoring 32 not out in maiden Test innings in a historic test , Captained England 4 times (3 wins and 1 draw) , Played 5 tests in total, Lawyer, received MBE for War service, created history with 9 others in achieving a first!! .

Who ? What history ? What first ?

Clue - Test Debut 1934/5

Clue 2- maiden

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Clue 3 -Others who were part of this history making first, were Edna Baker, Audrey Collins, Carol Cornthwaite, Jackie Court, Sheila Hill, Norma Izzard, Diana Rait Kerr, Netta Rheinberg and Rachel Heyhoe Flint :p ..... :D that should give it away.

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
JASON said:
Who ? What history ? What first ?
Helen Elizabeth Archdale

played in the first test for women

Made an honorary member of the MCC in March 1999 (one of the first group of ten women so honoured).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
Helen Elizabeth Archdale

played in the first test for women

Made an honorary member of the MCC in March 1999 (one of the first group of ten women so honoured).
Betty Archdale it was . :) First women admitted as members of MCC. England Captain in the first ever Womens Cricket Test V Australia

Over to you for next question .

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AUSTRALIA - Melbourne Cricket Ground, 1877
ENGLAND - The Oval, 1880
SOUTH AFRICA - St George's Park, Port Elizabeth, 1889
NEW ZEALAND - Jade Stadium, Christchurch, 1930
WEST INDIES - Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, 1930
INDIA - Gymkhana Ground, Mumbai, 1933
PAKISTAN - Banghabandhu Stadium, Dhaka, 1955 [was in East Pakistan]
PAKISTAN - Bahawal Stadium, Bahawalpur, 1955
SRI LANKA - P Saravanamuttu Stadium, Colombo, 1982
ZIMBABWE - Harare Sports Club, 1992
BANGLADESH - Banghabandhu Stadium, Dhaka, 1955 [was in East Pakistan]
BANGLADESH - Banghabandhu Stadium, Dhaka, 2000
UAE - Sharjah CA Stadium, 2002

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
588 - India v England, Old Trafford, 1936. England made 398 in just under two sessions and India 190/0 in a little over one.

One day later (ie, on the first day of the Oval test) England scored 471/9.

-----------

Just for the heck of it, more stories.

In the first innings at Old Trafford, Mushaq was out in a peculiar way. Merchant played a straight drive which deflected off the bat of Mushtaq to midon where Arthur Wellard was fielding. Mushtaq had backed up too far. Before he had time to come back Wellard ran him out.

Before the opening stand in the second innings the captain of India - Vizzy - infamously asked Mushtaq to run Merchant out, because Merchant had opposed the captaincy of Vizzy.

In Oval 1946, Merchant was involved in another famous runout. He drove the ball to midon and went for a single. Compton fielding there had no time to pick the ball up. So he kicked the ball and hit the stumps at the bowler's end.

Last edited: