• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Craig

World Traveller
Correct.

Everton once offered him a trial as a goalkeeper, but Sobers turned it down. I believe he also represented Barbados in goal (not 100% sure).

Your turn BB.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
He (LH Compton) was England's oldest soccer debutant at 38 years of age in 1950 (Debut against Wales/Yugoslavia)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
JASON said:
He (LH Compton) was England's oldest soccer debutant at 38 years of age in 1950 (Debut against Wales/Yugoslavia)
Give that man a prize! That's the one.

"Big" Les was a centre-half stopper for T'Gooners in the 30s, 40s & 50s (when not playing for Middlesex) in the mould of a Martin Keown.

Over to you... :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Give that man a prize! That's the one.

"Big" Les was a centre-half stopper for T'Gooners in the 30s, 40s & 50s (when not playing for Middlesex) in the mould of a Martin Keown.

Over to you... :)
Thanks for the compliment mate but all the info comes from Web search especially the England Players site.

Question -

He was unique in his own playing career, but he also played in a unique Test against a Team containing two of his brothers and one cousin.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Frank Hearne.

The Hearne part was easy but I had to look up the scorecard to see which Hearne it was.
Correct. Well Done!!

The Uniqueness of his Test career was that after playing two Tests for England in 1888/89 against South Africa, he then played 4 Tests for South Africa against England between 1891/2 and 1895/6.

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I am not very sure about the authenticity of the quote in this question, but here it goes :

The team that he was captaining was one down in the series going into the third match, and he was criciticised in the media for not taking enough interest in the team's affairs. So in the team meeting before the match he declared, 'If I have to win this game all on my own, I'll do it'.

He was dismissed first ball in the first innings, and his team conceded a 100+ lead. Then in the second innings he played an innings that is regarded as one among 4-5 of the greatest innings since the war.

His team went on to win the series 2-1.

Which innings are we talking about ? [No points for naming the cricketer, I won't even say whether you are right or wrong about it].

Last edited:

NikhilN

International Regular
Tapioca said:
I am not very sure about the authenticity of the quote in this question, but here it goes :

The team that he was captaining was one down in the series going into the third match, and he was criciticised in the media for not taking enough interest in the team's affairs. So in the team meeting before the match he declared, 'If I have to win this game all on my own, I'll do it'.

He was dismissed first ball in the first innings, and his team conceded a 100+ lead. Then in the second innings he played an innings that is regarded as one among 4-5 of the greatest innings since the war.

His team went on to win the series 2-1.

Which innings are we talking about ? [No points for naming the cricketer, I won't even say whether you are right or wrong about it].

Dont recall what happened in the series but by the looks of it I will say India australia 2001

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
No.

Note that his team was 0-1 down before the third match of the series. His team lost the second match and won the third and fifth ones.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Big hint 1 :

If the QM uses the word 'person' where one would normally use 'he' or 'man', it usually means that the person in question is a woman. Do you notice something like that in the way the question is phrased ?