• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> How was it a series then :S

The moment you hear the answer it will sound obvious :)

Hint 3 : It was in the 1970s

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
The answer is Garry Sobers' 254 for the Rest of the World against Australia at Melbourne, 1971/72.

Over to anyone who wants to ask the next one.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
What did Muttiah Muralitaharan(sp.) average at home against England in the last series?
In Tests 12.30 , In only ODI 15.00.

In Tests -

Name Mat O M R W Ave Best 5 10 SR Econ

M Muralitharan 3 231.4 109 320 26 12.30 7-46 1 1 53.4 1.38

In ODIs -

Name Mat O M R W Ave Best 4w 5w SR Econ

M Muralitharan 1 10 0 15 1 15.00 1-15 - - 60.0 1.50

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
Incomplete.
26 +1 wicket = 27 wickets for 320 + 15 = 335 runs

Average = 335/27 = 12.41

Batting average in Tests 30.33 , did not bat in ODI
Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St

M Muralitharan 3 4 1 91 38 30.33 97.84 - - 1 -

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Jamee999 has not responded to the above, and its nearly 24 hours since the answer was posted, May I assume that the answer is correct and ask the next question ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
No response!! I am going ahead with the question.

Question - (Since We are in the Middle of the Olympics, this has to do with Olympics and Track and Field Events.)

1. Who is the only cricketer ever to win an Olympic Gold Medal (in individual sport rather than Team sport) and when ?
2. Who is the cricketer to hold the World Long Jump record for 21 years ?

Part 2 for Bonus Points - In What track and field event was W.G.Grace a national champion in ? What event did WG's brother EM Grace establish a world record in 1866 ?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
No response!! I am going ahead with the question.

Question - (Since We are in the Middle of the Olympics, this has to do with Olympics and Track and Field Events.)

1. Who is the only cricketer ever to win an Olympic Gold Medal (in individual sport rather than Team sport) and when ?
2. Who is the cricketer to hold the World Long Jump record for 21 years ?

Part 2 for Bonus Points - In What track and field event was W.G.Grace a national champion in ? What event did WG's brother EM Grace establish a world record in 1866 ?
2. CB Fry

Everything else... :blink: :wacko: ...don't have a clue

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
I think W.G Grace might have been a sprinter...
Not by the looks of pictures of him in his latter years !! Ha Ha Ha !

But you are right . In his younger years he was . The event in question is a type of sprint (you could say) !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Don't think anyone's answered the first bit of Jason's question yet.

I can't, for one! Any chance of a clue? :)
Clue to Question 1 - He was an England Captain and it was one of the early Olympics.

Clue to bonus questions- WG's event in which he was National Champ was as I said before a type of sprint !! (with obstacles :D may be)

His brother EM Grace's world record was in an event where you jump more than once !! :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
WG. 110m Hurdles?

EM. Triple Jump?

2. CB Fry
I will accept your answers for the bonus questions - WG was national champion in 440 yards hurdles !! (not sure if this is the same as 110 metres today -No! my simple maths says its not)

EM Grace - broke World record in Triple Jump in 1866.

2. CB FRY was the world long jump record holder for 21 years as correctly answered by Steds.

*****Clue to Question 1. He played in the match when one of those mentioned very recently on the Name Game made his debut.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
More Clues to Question 1 - He captained England in his Test Debut and the opposing Captain was Clem Hill. :D - this should make it extremely easy.