• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Shounak

Banned
When was the only time in Test Cricket History a declaration by a team deemed illegal !!
When? 23-26 July 1921

Who were the involved individuals ?
Hon. Lionel Tennyson wanted to declare. Sammy Carter pointed out to Warwick Armstrong that the delcaration was illegal. Who pointed it out to the umpires.

What happened next ?
After an interval of around 20 minutes, while the matter was discussed (Wisden's match report calls it "an unfortunate and rather lamentable incident"), England carried on batting, and declared first thing next morning. After the break, Armstrong mischievously bowled the next over, having bowled the last one before the interruption too.

Steulen

International Regular
Pedro Delgado said:
Why was the declaration deemed illegal?
IIRC, it was a match shortened to 2 days due to bad weather, and the rules at the time said that you couldn't declare in a 2-day match. Or something along those lines.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Steulen said:
IIRC, it was a match shortened to 2 days due to bad weather, and the rules at the time said that you couldn't declare in a 2-day match. Or something along those lines.
Cheers big ears.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
shounak said:
When? 23-26 July 1921

Hon. Lionel Tennyson wanted to declare. Sammy Carter pointed out to Warwick Armstrong that the delcaration was illegal. Who pointed it out to the umpires.

After an interval of around 20 minutes, while the matter was discussed (Wisden's match report calls it "an unfortunate and rather lamentable incident"), England carried on batting, and declared first thing next morning. After the break, Armstrong mischievously bowled the next over, having bowled the last one before the interruption too.
Well done!! That's absolutely spot on! :cool:

Your turn to post next question!

tadeusz

State 12th Man
This should be a fairly easy one......
A Wisden Cricketer of the Year, I held a world record for over 20 years. Who am I, and what was my record? Bonus question: When was I Cricketer of the Year?

archie mac

International Coach
tadeusz said:
A Wisden Cricketer of the Year, I held a world record for over 20 years. Who am I, and what was my record? Bonus question: When was I Cricketer of the Year?
Just a quick guess C.B Fry?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tadeusz said:
Is it a batting record ?
Is it a test record ?

archie mac

International Coach
Adamc said:
I think archie mac's on the right track, CB Fry and his long-jump record...?
In fact this is one of the great Cricket myths, Fry never broke the record but equalled it with an American, furthermore their joint record was broken 18 months later by an Irishman.