• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
In fact this is one of the great Cricket myths, Fry never broke the record but equalled it with an American, furthermore their joint record was broken 18 months later by an Irishman.
Well, technically the question didn't specify that he broke the record, just that he held it. :p I think you are right about the record only lasting 18 months though. There is also some doubt as to whether he even equalled the record, in any case.

Anyway, it could be someone else. Sobers fits all the criteria of the question, so it could be him too.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
OK, although you had the answer before me. :)

William Roller holds what unique record?
He is the only cricketer to have scored a double century and taken a hat trick in the same first class game.

Interestingly he was also a wicket keeper

Last edited:

Shounak

Banned
Adamc said:
Correct (SJS, not shounak :p).
OOOH its onn.. You find me another cricketer who's got Roller for a surname and was captain of a golf club?

Huh you can't?

It must be a record then. Game, set and match.. But I'll let SJS have this one..

:D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
We have all heard of cutting of notches on a wooden stave as an early scoring method in England. However, in another part of the world a very simple and quaint method of scoring was used.

What was it ? And where was it used ?

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
We have all heard of cutting of notches on a wooden stave as an early scoring method in England. However, in another part of the world a very simple and quaint method of scoring was used.

I can remember reading something about scoring, and I am sure it involved leaves?

But I can't for the life of me think where they done this :@

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
SJS said:

On your wife's bedstead.

<runs away and hides>

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I can remember reading something about scoring, and I am sure it involved leaves?

But I can't for the life of me think where they done this :@
Not bad at all. Put some more stress on your memory not just for the place but the exact manner of scoring.

archie mac

International Coach
Were they Palm leaves? And did they lay them down one way for the first team, and then turn them up the other way when the other side scored? :D

I really have no idea, I'm just trying to confuse you with Aussie logic :laugh: