• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Edmund Blunden?
Correct. What was the name of the book he wrote on Cricket ?

Edmund Blunden served in the First World War and was a poet and friend of Sassoon among others !! He ended up after the War as Professor of Poetry at Oxford . Here's one of his poems -

AT SENLIS ONCE
O how comely it was and how reviving,
When with clay and with death no longer striving
Down firm roads we came to houses
With women chattering and green grass thriving.

Now though rains in a cataract descended,
We could glow, with our tribulation ended--
Count not days, the present only
Was thought of, how could it ever be expended?

Clad so cleanly, this remnant of poor wretches
Picked up life like the hens in orchard ditches,
Gazed on the mill-sails, heard the church-bell,
Found an honest glass all manner of riches.

How they crowded the barn with lusty laughter,
Hailed the pierrots and shook each shadowy rafter,
Even could ridicule their own sufferings,
Sang as though nothing but joy came after!

Edmund Blunden (1896-1974)

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
First Left hander to score a century and first person to score a six in Test cricket ?
I will give you the first one but the 2nd was not what I was looking for. It is to do with batting though
:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question
He was a bored Civil Servant who worked in an Inland Revenue office in England, who was a club cricketer with modest capabilities , but he achieved much acclaim after his famous Book on Cricket !! His Famous book initially failed to take any publishers interest.

However, one of them sent it to Errol Holmes, the former Surrey captain, who said that he had no idea what was meant by the book's subtitle, An Anatomy of Cricketomania, but that he was sure the book was worth publishing. This set him on another career, and several more books on cricket appeared !!

But his Famous Book obviously brought him the greatest acclaim !!

What was the Name of this Book ? And who is he ?

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Question
He was a bored Civil Servant who worked in an Inland Revenue office in England, who was a club cricketer with modest capabilities , but he achieved much acclaim after his famous Book on Cricket !! His Famous book initially failed to take any publishers interest.

However, one of them sent it to Errol Holmes, the former Surrey captain, who said that he had no idea what was meant by the book's subtitle, An Anatomy of Cricketomania, but that he was sure the book was worth publishing. This set him on another career, and several more books on cricket appeared !!

But his Famous Book obviously brought him the greatest acclaim !!

What was the Name of this Book ? And who is he ?
Ronald Mason the book Batsman's Paradise?

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Well done Archie, You are bloody good !! :D

Your turn ! :D
Thanks Jason, I have all his books, I think he said he was knocked back 16 times by publishers, a lot anyway.

Although I am no poet (I have a relative who was) my book title did rhyme

Name the author and the book?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sticky Wickets by Lionel Lord Tennyson

Did think of him when you mentioned poet's relative, but couldn't find the book authored by him and was unsure if he did write a book , but just found it !! :D

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Sticky Wickets by Lionel Lord Tennyson

Did think of him when you mentioned poet's relative, but couldn't find the book authored by him and was unsure if he did write a book , but just found it !! :D
I was thinking of 'From Verse to Worse' but your one will do right author. :)

Your turn Jason

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question
When was the only time in Test Cricket History a declaration by a team deemed illegal !!

Who were the involved individuals ? What happened next ? (is also another piece of Test Crickets one off occurrences !!) :D