• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
I think Archie Mac's question relates to the fact that Clem Hill, Monty Noble and Syd Gregory were all part of a hat trick by JT Hearne. Considered the most illustrious 3 players to be dismissed in a hat trick.

And therefore the answer to the question - "Has there been any greater ?" has to be NO. :D
Spot on Jason, your turn
:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Name the 2 Brother-in laws who Captained their respective countries (2 different countries) in Test Cricket !! :D

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
JASON said:
I think Archie Mac's question relates to the fact that Clem Hill, Monty Noble and Syd Gregory were all part of a hat trick by JT Hearne. Considered the most illustrious 3 players to be dismissed in a hat trick.

And therefore the answer to the question - "Has there been any greater ?" has to be NO. :D
Surely Harry Flashman's haul of Felix, Pilch and Mynn in succesive balls at Lord's in 1842 is greater? As the great poltroon himself had it - "I'd got Felix by skill, Pilch by luck, and Mynn by knavery..."

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Surely Harry Flashman's haul of Felix, Pilch and Mynn in succesive balls at Lord's in 1842 is greater? As the great poltroon himself had it - "I'd got Felix by skill, Pilch by luck, and Mynn by knavery..."
Pedro,

I am really very impressed. There are not many here who would have heard of Felix, Pilch and Mynn.

And I had never heard of Harry Flashman. One learns something every day.

Where did you get this bit ? In a book. If so could you please give details.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
SJS said:
Pedro,

I am really very impressed. There are not many here who would have heard of Felix, Pilch and Mynn.

And I had never heard of Harry Flashman. One learns something every day.

Where did you get this bit ? In a book. If so could you please give details.
:) A bit of fun to be honest SJS. Flashman is a fictional character from Tom Brown's School Days. A novelist called George McDonald Fraser took him form there and wrote The Flashman Papers . Genius stuff, and no mean history lesson either.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Pedro Delgado said:
Pedro impressed with above ! Haven't heard of it myself ! :happy:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
:) A bit of fun to be honest SJS. Flashman is a fictional character from Tom Brown's School Days. A novelist called George McDonald Fraser took him form there and wrote The Flashman Papers . Genius stuff, and no mean history lesson either.
You had me that time. :D

But thanks for the info. Would like to read the stuff.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
SJS said:
You had me that time. :D

But thanks for the info. Would like to read the stuff.
I'd recommed them highly. Fraser has him in India quite often, this from Flashman in the The Great Game - "This time Flashy rogers and runs his way through the greatest of all imperial wars, the Indian Mutiny. Delhi, Cawnpore, Lucknow, are all here as are Nana Sahib, Lawrence, Campbell and the delectable Rani of Jhansi."

He's a complete coward and addicted to women, very funny stuff.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Name the 2 Brother-in laws who Captained their respective countries (2 different countries) in Test Cricket !! :D

OK looks like we need clues to set this Question rolling.

Clue - One was English !!

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Question

OK looks like we need clues to set this Question rolling.

Clue - One was English !!
I would think the other was either Sth Africa or WI?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
It was New Zealand
Tapi as usual knows all the answers ! :D :D

That makes it easier now !! :happy:

*considering the few captains NZ have had as opposed the large number that have captained England!! *

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Tapi as usual knows all the answers ! :D :D

That makes it easier now !! :happy:

*considering the few captains NZ have had as opposed the large number that have captained England!! *
Is it any of these four?
Gilligan, Jardine, Mann or Smith

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Tapi as usual knows all the answers
But knows no questions 8-)

Tom Lowry married a sister of Percy Chapman.

In the hope that Jason won't mind, I am going ahead with a question -

Which unfortunate incident featured three people, all Test cricketers, the lesser involved of whom was the West Indian fastbowler Tom Dewdney ?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
But knows no questions 8-)

Tom Lowry married a sister of Percy Chapman.

In the hope that Jason won't mind, I am going ahead with a question -

Which unfortunate incident featured three people, all Test cricketers, the lesser involved of whom was the West Indian fastbowler Tom Dewdney ?
A quick stab, Sobers and Smith car accident?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Yes :yes:

Sobers was the driver, Dewdney was in the front and Smith sleeping in the backseat. When the car hit a tree, Smith was thrown forward and killed.

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
Yes :yes:

Sobers was the driver, Dewdney was in the front and Smith sleeping in the backseat. When the car hit a tree, Smith was thrown forward and killed.
Which fast bowler, had an action similar to 'The Notts Express' ended up running a flower shop?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Larwood ended up in a flower shop, didn't he ? I don't know who Notts express, but a guess for that would also be Larwood.