• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Who were the 4 England cricketers who were involved in the first so-called British Lions tour to the Southern Hemisphere ?

archie mac

International Coach
G¸ u?ON]Question

Who were the 4 England cricketers who were involved in the first so-called British Lions tour to the Southern Hemisphere ?
[/QUOTE]

Are we talking 1899 or 1904 or later? Is Stoddart one of the four?

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Question

Stoddart, Shaw, Shrewsbury (I am confident of these 3)

My last guess is just that; Arthur Paul?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Archie , If you are not able to find a question - we can go ahead with following question !!

Question

Name the England captain whose chauffeur/butler was his county's wicket keeper (under his Captaincy) and what was the Chaufeur/Butler's famous innings ?

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Correct !! Sir Charles Aubrey Smith who captained England in 1 and only test he played in and later a Hollywood Actor.

Your turn.
Now Jason I do not want to seem pedantic, but according to the book I have CA Smith did not stay for the Footy tour, although he was here for the Cricket tour. The Smith on the Lions tour was in fact Dr J. Smith the Scottish Soccer international.
:)

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Archie , If you are not able to find a question - we can go ahead with following question !!

Question

Name the England captain whose chauffeur/butler was his county's wicket keeper (under his Captaincy) and what was the Chaufeur/Butler's famous innings ?
Lionel Tennyson, Walter Livsey was the Butler, He scored a century from No.10 after Hampshire had followed on (they made 15 in their 1st inns) they made 521 in their 2nd inns and won the game by 155 runs.

archie mac

International Coach
Behlol said:
ask the question
Okay no Sign of Jason so I will ask a nice easy one:) (well sort of)

In a Test Match between England and Australia (played in England) on one occasion they had two coin tosses, one for choice of innings what was the other one for?

Clue: one of the captains had the nickname 'Captain Grumpy'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Lionel Tennyson, Walter Livsey was the Butler, He scored a century from No.10 after Hampshire had followed on (they made 15 in their 1st inns) they made 521 in their 2nd inns and won the game by 155 runs.
Correct . Lord Tennyson Grandson of the former Poet Laureate of England Alfred Tennyson. Walter Livesey his chauffeur/Butler was Hampshire wicket keeper throughout his captaincy of over 10 years at Hampshire. The Match you described was long referred to as the County Cricket Match of the 20th Century, because as you can see, Hampshire after being dismissed for 15 and trailing by a huge over 200 run deficit, still came back to win the Match , thanks to Livesy !! :)
Their opponents,btw were Warwickshire who were also lead by a Lord.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:

In a Test Match between England and Australia (played in England) on one occasion they had two coin tosses, one for choice of innings what was the other one for?

Captain Grumpy - would be Alan Border I think - I am unsure which Test ? second toss to choose which Pitch to play in perhaps ? (ie 2 pitches prepared in the same ground ?? :D or was it a ceremonial occasion marking something and first coin may have been preserved or given to some one ?? :) )

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Captain Grumpy - would be Alan Border I think - I am unsure which Test ? second toss to choose which Pitch to play in perhaps ? (ie 2 pitches prepared in the same ground ?? :D or was it a ceremonial occasion marking something and first coin may have been preserved or given to some one ?? :) )
Yes Alan Border is Captain Grumpy, but the 2nd toss was not for choice of pitch or ceremonial.
clue: It was needed because of a disagreement, between the two teams?

archie mac

International Coach
archie mac said:

Cryptic clue: The Kookaburra often laughs at John Wayne
:p