• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if this is correct order -

David Boon,Graham Yallop, Michael Bevan , ? John Inverarity, ? Mike Veletta ? Alan Kippax

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Not sure if this is correct order -

David Boon,Graham Yallop, Michael Bevan , ? John Inverarity, ? Mike Veletta ? Alan Kippax
No my Test average is better even than Albert Trott's, well sort of
:wacko:

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
You have lost me there Archie !! :D
Does not surprise me, as you are in NZ at the moment, don't drink anymore of the water
:D

The list; I just want the player whom would be next on the list. The player in Question has no Test average, which would make it even higher than the Test ave. of Albert Trott. I hope that is clearer now.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Does not surprise me, as you are in NZ at the moment, don't drink anymore of the water
:D

The list; I just want the player whom would be next on the list. The player in Question has no Test average, which would make it even higher than the Test ave. of Albert Trott. I hope that is clearer now.
Just a guess - Stuart Law?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Good guess, well done your turn Adamc

And no excuses this time :@ (just kidding)
Probably should give credit to JASON, as he mentioned Stuart Law in a previous post. I didn't see this until after I had made the guess though. :p

Anyway: West Indian legend Alvin Kallicharran managed what unique List A achievement/record? (Fairly easy question.)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Unsure if its one of the following - Double century in List A match - 206 .

or playing List A matches in 3 countries England, West Indies, South Africa

or being stumped by a sub wicket keeper in a List A match ? :D :D

Most Likely the top 1 is what AdamC is thinking of But the legendary Graeme Pollock, Ali Brown (of Surrey twice) and Vince Wells, and another Gent by the name of A Barrow have also achieved 200+ in list A . So he is not in a club of his own. :p

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Unsure if its one of the following - Double century in List A match - 206 .

or playing List A matches in 3 countries England, West Indies, South Africa

or being stumped by a sub wicket keeper in a List A match ? :D :D

Most Likely the top 1 is what AdamC is thinking of But the legendary Graeme Pollock, Ali Brown (of Surrey twice) and Vince Wells, and another Gent by the name of A Barrow have also achieved 200+ in list A . So he is not in a club of his own. :p
It's related to the 206, but it's not just that. The particular record I am thinking of is unique.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
He also took 6 wickets in the match after scoring 206 ?
That's correct; he's the only person to have scored a double-century and taken five+ wickets in a List A match. Incidentally, both the 206 and the 6/32 were career-bests for him.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

'Doc' who played against England (in a sense) representing 2 nations (one of which was Australia :D ) has an Ashes achievement to his credit. Does not hold a record on his own, but ranks within the top 10 (6th If i am correct) in a record for Australia v England in the Ashes. Nicknamed after a famous Subcontinental cricketer, for his complexion . :p
Who is he ? What was the other country he played for ?

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Question

'Doc' who played against England (in a sense) representing 2 nations (one of which was Australia :D ) has an Ashes achievement to his credit. Does not hold a record on his own, but ranks within the top 10 (6th If i am correct) in a record for Australia v England. Nicknamed after a famous Subcontinental cricketer, for his complexion . :p
Who is he ?
Ranji Hordern
:p

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
You are too good for me ,Archie Mac !! :D :D

What was the other country he played for ? What's the record ?
I know he had a lot to do with the Philadelphia club, as he studied as a dentist there.
He also had a good debut against the Poms.
Rick Smith has a bio. comming out about him sometime this year, hope he does this great leg spinner justice.
:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
I know he had a lot to do with the Philadelphia club, as he studied as a dentist there.
He also had a good debut against the Poms.
Rick Smith has a bio. comming out about him sometime this year, hope he does this great leg spinner justice.
:)
Who is Rick Smith ? Do you mean Rick Eyre ?

Anyway getting back to the question-

Doc Ranji Hordern -played for Philadelphians V MCC in Philadelphia in 1907 and also toured with the Philadelphians and played in England against MCC for them in 1908.

For the record - he took 32 wickets in A 5 Test Ashes series and ranks 6th in the number of wickets for Australia in a 5 Test Ashes series. (but definitely in the top 10 for a 5 test ashes series) . :)

Your turn Archie Mac.

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Who is Rick Smith ? Do you mean Rick Eyre ?

Anyway getting back to the question-

Doc Ranji Hordern -played for Philadelphians V MCC in Philadelphia in 1907 and also toured with the Philadelphians and played in England against MCC for them in 1908.

For the record - he took 32 wickets in A 5 Test Ashes series and ranks 6th in the number of wickets for Australia in a 5 Test Ashes series. (but definitely in the top 10 for a 5 test ashes series) . :)

Your turn Archie Mac.
Ric Smith is a Cricket book writer based in Tasi.

Name two Aussies and one Sth African to be called for throwing in a Test Match? and what great feat did the SA player perform?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Ric Smith is a Cricket book writer based in Tasi.

Name two Aussies and one Sth African to be called for throwing in a Test Match? and what great feat did the SA player perform?
This is way too easy - Ignored and waited for someone else to take the plunge !!

No one bothered !! Houston we have a problem here !! :D :laugh:

Answer - Ernie Jones, Ian Meckiff (Australia), Geoff Griffin (SA)- only South African to get hat-trick and only person to get hat-trick at Lords.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Gordon Rorke (Australia) and Cuan Macarthy (South Africa) were lucky to get away from being called - the latter because Sir Pelham Warner warned Umpire Frank Chester that he would not receive MCC support for calling him.

But as we all know there are others too.... :D who got away and get away from these 2 countries .... :D :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Name the great Australian legend whose mysterious background is claimed to be due to him being an illegitimate son of a house maid in Auckland, before his mother's cousins offered him a home in Australia . He is recognised as one of the All Time Great Australian Cricketers .