• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

archie mac

International Coach
Adamc said:
You better go again (or someone else), I've got an essay due tomorrow which I haven't started, so I'm banishing myself from the CW. :(
No worries, I think we will let some one else have a go, I am running out of Q ideas, any takers?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Identify the Test cricketer described below -

He invited the wrath of the Royalty with his outspoken views and awesome fast bowling which they just could not play. :D One of his early victims was A member of Royalty , the power broker in his country's cricket in those days. This person wanted his bowlers to bowl as he instructed, so that he could score a few runs easily. :laugh: While other bowlers obliged with lollipops, this cricketer continued to bowl along his normal lines. This infuriated the member of royalty . Fielders started dropping catches while umpires turned down lbw appeals and kept on calling no-balls whenever stumps were uprooted. :D This cricketer was so fed up that he brought out his most potent weapon and bowled a vicious bouncer, the likes of which the member of Royalty had never faced. :laugh:

The cricketer was asked to leave the kingdom, but not for the first time. Once, Another Royal, had invited a club team from England to play a few friendly matches. This cricketer was again invited to play for the home team. This Royal had specifically instructed this cricketer not to injure anyone as the English were their guests. On an easy-paced wicket the visitors made more than 150 without loss before lunch. But the Royal Member, who had been invited to watch the match, then changed his mind and instructed the cricketer to bowl a few short-pitched deliveries, if only to create fear in their minds.

The moment the new ball was taken, he was a different bowler. One of his deliveries rose unexpectedly from a length to hit the batsman on the chest and he fell to the ground. He was taken back on a stretcher and was hospitalised before being shifted for better treatment. After regaining some health he was sent to England where he died a few days later.

The incident upset the Royalty again. He ordered this cricketer to leave and threatened that if he was seen again in future, he would be shot at
:-O

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
I am really struggling with your Cricket guru Q, can't find anything about this fast bowler, did he tour England?
No he did not tour England. In fact as the story above shows he was on the wrong side of the Royalty and power brokers in his country's cricket . As a result his cricket career suffered !! :-O

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hi guys :)

Ramji Ladha.

Brother of Amar Singh Ladha (who formed India's best bowling combination ever alongwith Nissar in its first ever test match).

Ramji was considered by many to be faster than Nissar though erratic

Bye :(

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:

Ramji Ladha.

Brother of Amar Singh Ladha (who formed India's best bowling combination ever alongwith Nissar in its first ever test match).

Hail the return of SJS
:) I had Nissar but could not find a link to Ramji.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:

Ramji Ladha.

I asked that question Assuming that SJS being not around - would be tuff.

But he comes back and obviously answers it !! :@ :D :D

Archie Mac you should ask next question !! :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I was just visiting (had to respond to the "withdrawl symptoms" :p ).

You guys go ahead and post the next question.

See you some times...........

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
I asked that question Assuming that SJS being not around - would be tuff.

But he comes back and obviously answers it !! :@ :D :D

Archie Mac you should ask next question !! :)
What club could only Lindsay & Monty join from Australian Cricketers?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Leg Spinning Cambridge Blue who made it big in Politics and Business- Nearly played Test Cricket for Australia . Who is he ?
:D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Ian McLachlan?
Good one Archie, knew it wouldn't take you long. He was 12th Man for an Ashes Test(4th Test 1962-3) . I think he is the current South Australian Cricket Association president and member of the Board of Cricket Australia. This after being a Federal Minister under John Howard .

Your turn. :D

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Good one Archie, knew it wouldn't take you long. He was 12th Man for an Ashes Test(4th Test 1962-3) . I think he is the current South Australian Cricket Association president and member of the Board of Cricket Australia. This after being a Federal Minister under John Howard .

Your turn. :D
I always thought he was more of a batsman, so was not sure.

complete this list: Love, Lehmann, M. Waugh, G. Chappell and ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
I always thought he was more of a batsman, so was not sure.

complete this list: Love, Lehmann, M. Waugh, G. Chappell and ?
No idea . Is it to do with domestic cricket (ie, Pura , Sheffield Shield /final, ING cup/Mercantile Mutual cup related )

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
No idea . Is it to do with domestic cricket (ie, Pura , Sheffield Shield /final, ING cup/Mercantile Mutual cup related )
Hard to give a clue, without giving the answer away, so here is a cryptic one.

They all had to bide their time
:p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Hard to give a clue, without giving the answer away, so here is a cryptic one.

They all had to bide their time
:p
Love 10 seasons from First Class debut before Test call up.
Lehman 10 seasons again before Test debut.
Mark Waugh - 6 Seasons of Sheffield Shield before Test debut
Greg Chappell 4 sheffield seasons before Test debut.

In the case of Greg Chappell and Mark Waugh -they both had to work harder to come out of the shadows of their respective siblings (who were already playing Test cricket) and be recognised by the selectors as worthy of selection - In a sense they suffered because of their siblings already having been selected - they had to do more to get recognised and selected.
Lehman on the other hand suffered because he infuriated South Australia by abandoning them and moving to Victoria as a result of which if my sources are correct, SA members of the then ACB kept blocking him from getting picked earlier !!

As for Love, I feel sorry for him . I think his time may have come and gone and he will probably end up like a Siddons/Jamie Cox type domestic Sheffield Shield cricket champ, but unfortunately not at Test level. What do you think ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW, If you look through the Highest scorers in domestic cricket - you recognise several names of cricketers who received Step Motherly treatment by ACB/Cricket Australia in terms of Test/ODI selection -

Dean Jones
Jamie Siddons
David Hookes
Stuart Law
and lately Michael Bevan - Last season average 97.60 (Record breaking season with 1464 runs - most runs in a season of Pura/Sheffield shield )

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Love 10 seasons from First Class debut before Test call up.
Lehman 10 seasons again before Test debut.
Mark Waugh - 6 Seasons of Sheffield Shield before Test debut
Greg Chappell 4 sheffield seasons before Test debut.

In the case of Greg Chappell and Mark Waugh -they both had to work harder to come out of the shadows of their respective siblings (who were already playing Test cricket) and be recognised by the selectors as worthy of selection - In a sense they suffered because of their siblings already having been selected - they had to do more to get recognised and selected.
Lehman on the other hand suffered because he infuriated South Australia by abandoning them and moving to Victoria as a result of which if my sources are correct, SA members of the then ACB kept blocking him from getting picked earlier !!

As for Love, I feel sorry for him . I think his time may have come and gone and he will probably end up like a Siddons/Jamie Cox type domestic Sheffield Shield cricket champ, but unfortunately not at Test level. What do you think ?
You are very close Jason, it was the amout of runs they scored before playing for their country. Can you now complete the list?
As for Love, I agree, will be surprised if he plays to many more Tests. If he was around in the 80s when Aust. was struggling I think he would have played 50+ Tests. I suppose Cricket history is full of such unlucky players; Holmes and Sandham for instance.