• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night --
Ten to make and the match to win --
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! play up! and play the game!"

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
Red with the wreck of a square that broke; --
The Gatling's jammed and the colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of schoolboy rallies the ranks,

This is the word that year by year
While in her place the School is set
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind --

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Thanks, SJS. Cricket guru questions are always easier to ask than SJS format ones :)

A Wisden obit :

Sub-lieut *** (Royal Naval Divison) [DoB and DoD excluded]

In 1906, he was in the rugby XI, and although he was unsuccesful in the Marlborough match he headed the school's bowling averages with arecord of 19 wkts for 14.05 runs each. He had gained considerable reputation as a poet.

Who is this ?

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
Thanks, SJS. Cricket guru questions are always easier to ask than SJS format ones :)

A Wisden obit :

In 1906, he was in the rugby XI, and although he was unsuccesful in the Marlborough match he headed the school's bowling averages with arecord of 19 wkts for 14.05 runs each. He had gained considerable reputation as a poet.

Who is this ?
Sassoon?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
A Wisden obit :

Who is this ?
Rupert C Brooke !!

This has to be the most difficult question ever posted on this thread and the most lucky strike at getting the answer. I must share it with you guys.

Last nighyt (this morning really considering the time) at around 3 am ,, I had a "turbulence" in my tummy and got up from sleep to go to the loo.

As is my habit, I tried to look for a magazine to take with me. Not finding one close by, I picked up my recently bought, A WISDEN COLLECTION (editor Graeme Wright) a smal 6" by 4' booklet, and started going through it on the pottie.

The bokmarker was on page 110 which opened to reveal the obit. of Sir Crompton Mackenzie.

I read through it and turned the pages back, as I always do if I open a book or magazine in the middle and came too page 108, the previous page realy. bn my half asleep stage I hadnt realised that this chapter was full of obituaries and when I saw
THE SOLDIER 1916
Deaths in 1915​
..right in front of me, I still did not see the relevance of what I was reading.. It read..

THE SOLDIER 1916
Deaths in 1915​

Sub-Lieut Rupert C. Broke (Rayal Navy Division) born at Rugby on August 3, 1887died at Lammos of sunstrokeon April 23. In 1906, he was in the Rugby XI, and although he was unsuccessful in the Marlborough match (now it hit me and I read on) he headed the school's bowling averages with a record of 19 wickets for 14.05 runs each. He had gained considerable reputation as a poet.......

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. :p

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Welldone :D

This has to be the most difficult question ever posted on this thread and the most lucky strike at getting the answer. I must share it with you guys
The next hint would have been a connection with Corner of a foreign field :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Welldone :D

The next hint would have been a connection with Corner of a foreign field :)
I am going away to my factory right now.

Tapioca, you may post the next too please.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Has it got to do with it being a bit of a Dad's Army ? :D

With Gus Fraser at 24, Jack Russell 26 and Paul Jarvis 24 being the yougsters and several over the age of 30 .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
No, but the question was wrong :(( I deserve to be kicked for picking up an old question and post it without cross checking :(

It has happened twice since : http://statserver.cricket.org/db/ARCHIVE/2003/RSA_IN_ENG/SCORECARDS/RSA_ENG_T5_04-08SEP2003.html

and

http://statserver.cricket.org/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/ENG_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/ENG_SL_T1_02-06DEC2003.html

So I modify the question to that effect :(
Is it that all members of the Team were bowlers with First Class wickets to their credit ? :)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
No.

Phrasing the question in a diifferent form may ring a bell - What was common between every England team from 1989 and 2003 ?

This thing happens with most other teams once in a while, but not in a scale as with England. This was particularly so between around 1985 and 1995 or so, but is much less these days.

[There. I might have provided another lousy hint that gives away the answer :)]