• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
Apoligies Jason, I meant 8 completed Innings :)
Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St Team

RI Dawson 7 11 2 598 143* 66.44 3 1 7 - DEVON

Its Robert (RI) Dawson from Devon then !! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Some disgruntled members of his team called him "myxomatosis" because (according to them) he only bowled when the rabbits were in (more that he bowled only occasionally despite being in the team primarily as a bowler ) , :laugh: he has one of the worst records for his country in the Ashes !! Only one other person in the history of the Ashes has done worse than him for his country !! :D

Who is he ? What record is it ? Who has a record worse than his in the Ashes ?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Ian Johnson is correct, but that is not the record I am looking for !! :D
He lost both his Ashes series as captain, only Mcdonnel done worse by losing all 3 of his ashes campaigns.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
He lost both his Ashes series as captain, only Mcdonnel done worse by losing all 3 of his ashes campaigns.
Thats correct !! Ian Johnson has the worst record in the 20th century for an Australian Captain in the Ashes, having lost 2 Ashes in a row, and in fact only McDonnell who lost 3 ashes in a row (19th century) has a worser record for any Aussie captain in the Ashes !! :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Okay an easy one, which two Australians wrote a book called "The Art of Cricket"?
Besides
The Art of Cricket by Bradman

there is

The Art of Coarse Cricket by Spike Hughes

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Yes please
Okay, the other one was written by a former Aust. captain
Ray Robinson said of him 'neither a ball he drove not a deck chair he sat in, was ever the same again' (not an exact quote)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Okay, the other one was written by a former Aust. captain
Ray Robinson said of him 'neither a ball he drove not a deck chair he sat in, was ever the same again' (not an exact quote)
Armstrong

:D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I should have looked up my list

ARMSTRONG, WARWICK-The Art of Cricket-1924. 8vo. vii,149pp. Original green cloth-minor stain marks; binding tight; foxing. Includes chapter on the Ashes tour to England 1921. Padwick I 489.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
I should have looked up my list

ARMSTRONG, WARWICK-The Art of Cricket-1924. 8vo. vii,149pp. Original green cloth-minor stain marks; binding tight; foxing. Includes chapter on the Ashes tour to England 1921. Padwick I 489.
Well done SJS, I have a copy with a D/J but only a 2nd edition. Have not read it, the days when such books could help me are long gone.
:-O

Nighty night, will check out your Q tomorrow.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Which touring side had these rules strictly imposed on them ?

1. No member shall smoke, drink or gamble while on tour.
2. No member may be accompanied by a relation or a friend.
3. Writing articles on cricket during the tour is strictly prohibited.
4. While on board the ship, no player shall visit the top deck of the liner after dinner.
5. Members of the team must retire to bed by 10pm on the voyage.
6. Members will do physical drill on the deck at 7.15 am every morning except on Sundays.
7. The team will participate in all deck games.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Which touring side had these rules strictly imposed on them ?

1. No member shall smoke, drink or gamble while on tour.
2. No member may be accompanied by a relation or a friend.
3. Writing articles on cricket during the tour is strictly prohibited.
4. While on board the ship, no player shall visit the top deck of the liner after dinner.
5. Members of the team must retire to bed by 10pm on the voyage.
6. Members will do physical drill on the deck at 7.15 am every morning except on Sundays.
7. The team will participate in all deck games.
Sound like Mr Jardine circa 1932/33?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a new trivia thread in OT called Archie Mac's reverse trivia - I ask everyone to participate in it.Its in a very simple format to encourage greater participation !! :) :) :p