• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Well done Archie Mac. Spot on !! :) Your turn. :D
I will take the title, only on seeing the question first though. As per usual SJS gave a more sedulous & informative answer than my 'short hand effort' :)

Which bowler was Bradman refering to, when he said; 'Luckist duck I ever made'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
I will take the title, only on seeing the question first though. As per usual SJS gave a more sedulous & informative answer than my 'short hand effort' :)

Which bowler was Bradman refering to, when he said; 'Luckist duck I ever made'
Eddie Gilbert .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year

Question
Who said this in his book -' Nor do I think there is the smallest doubt that if the Australians had had a bowler of the type of Larwood they would have bowled him in the same way as we did'. ( Name the book and individual ) :) :p

Subsidiary question (minor question) :D - Did Most wickets in Body line series fall to bodyline type deliveries ? Were the two batsmen who were felled in the 3rd Test of Body line series by Larwood knocked by Bodyline type deliveries ?
:sleep:

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:

Question
Who said this in his book -' Nor do I think there is the smallest doubt that if the Australians had had a bowler of the type of Larwood they would have bowled him in the same way as we did'. ( Name the book and individual ) :) :p

Subsidiary question (minor question) :D - Did Most wickets in Body line series fall to bodyline type deliveries ? Were the two batsmen who were felled in the 3rd Test of Body line series by Larwood knocked by Bodyline type deliveries ?
Bob Wyatt in Three Straight Sticks

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year

Most Wickets in the Body line series fell to non-bodyline deliveries !!

And the two batsmen who were felled by Larwood were victims of non body line - good length deliveries !! :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What was special or unique about the third ever test match at Melbourne in 1878-79 ? (sorry I had put the wrong year initially)

Hint : It has nothing to do with what the players did on the field during the game :)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
What was special or unique about the third ever test match at Melbourne in 1878-79 ? (sorry I had put the wrong year initially)

Hint : It has nothing to do with what the players did on the field during the game :)
First Test where all Amateurs played a Test ?

First player to play for England having never played for a county - Leland Hone ?

Possibly the only time a wicket keeper was picked for a Test Match after having never represented a FC team. (Apart from 2 MCC tour games)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
First Test where all Amateurs played a Test ?

First player to play for England having never played for a county - Leland Hone ?

Possibly the only time a wicket keeper was picked for a Test Match after having never represented a FC team. (Apart from 2 MCC tour games)
No. None of them.

The third one is kind of similar , in a way :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
A player who played for Australia in a latter Test, Umpiring in a Test before playing in a Test for Australia 3 years later ? George Coulthard

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
A player who played for Australia in a latter Test, Umpiring in a Test before playing in a Test for Australia 3 years later ? George Coulthard
Thats partly correct. Coulthard is the first ever test umpire (first to umpire) who also played test cricket (after the umpiring as you rightly said.

There is a second man who is part of the answer :) ???

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Thats partly correct. Coulthard is the first ever test umpire (first to umpire) who also played test cricket (after the umpiring as you rightly said.

There is a second man who is part of the answer :) ???
TW Garrett, he umpired the test in 1884-5 after umpire Hodges refused to stand after tea on last day of Test . but in that instance Garrett was player in that test as well.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since SJS has failed to confirm the answer, I will assume it to be correct and post next question.

Question -

At the start of Bodyline series, 2 Australian cricketers applied to the cricket board to be the playing journalist, one was refused and the other was accepted to be the solitary playing journalist.
Who was refused ? (only this answer will win) (and thus left in a precarious situation because of his 2 year writing contract with the Sydney Sun at the time )
Who was accepted (and thus was suspected by Sir Pelham Warner of leaking to the press, the meeting that took place between him and the Australian camp where Bill Woodfull uttered his famous words
"There are two sides out there. One is trying to play cricket, the other is not. The game is too good to be spoilt. It is time some people got out of it". )

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
JASON said:
Since SJS has failed to confirm the answer, I will assume it to be correct and post next question.

Question -

At the start of Bodyline series, 2 Australian cricketers applied to the cricket board to be the playing journalist, one was refused and the other was accepted to be the solitary playing journalist.
Who was refused ? (only this answer will win) (and thus left in a precarious situation because of his 2 year writing contract with the Sydney Sun at the time )
Who was accepted (and thus was suspected by Sir Pelham Warner of leaking to the press, the meeting that took place between him and the Australian camp where Bill Woodfull uttered his famous words "There are two sides out there. One is trying to play cricket, the other is not. The game is too good to be spoilt. It is time some people got out of it". )
Bradman was refused.

I am guessing Jardine was accepted.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Bradman was refused.

I am guessing Jardine was accepted.
You are correct Bradman was refused !! But it was Jack Fingleton who was accepted. Your turn !!

Sir Pelham suspected that it was Fingleton who leaked the meeting and the famous words which splashed across newspapers across the world and in particular in England and Australia.

Bradman's difficult situation was made easier apparently by the then Chairman of the Sydney Sun Newspaper - Sir Hugh Denison who released Bradman from his contract thus enabling him to play !! :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay a question on the Don himself.

Bradman has scored many centuries. Against whom did he score his first ever century? A bit of a toughie as I am not talking about test or FC cricket but of the Don as a cricketer overall.

archie mac

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Okay a question on the Don himself.

Bradman has scored many centuries. Against whom did he score his first ever century? A bit of a toughie as I am not talking about test or FC cricket but of the Don as a cricketer overall.
115* for Bowral High against Mittagong school. In 1920.

did not know off the top of my head, looked it up in 'The Don' by Roland Perry