• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Well done SJS, would you have solved it, without the big bertha hint?

Your turn
:)
Big Bertha was the bigger hint for sure but I did know of Ponsford's colour blindness.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Big Bertha was the bigger hint for sure but I did know of Ponsford's colour blindness.
Always one of my favorites old 'pony' I saw him interviewed late in life. They could not coax him to say anthing about his great career, he was just to modest. I wonder how he would fit in today?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Always one of my favorites old 'pony' I saw him interviewed late in life. They could not coax him to say anthing about his great career, he was just to modest. I wonder how he would fit in today?
Its amazing how little we talk of him. A contender for the greates accumulator of GIANT scores. :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Which is the shortest gap in a pair (of ducks) by any cricketer ?
120 minutes. by MEZ Ghazali of Pakistan v England at Manchester 1954. between 1st and 2nd innings .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I seem to remember it is something ridiculous like 2 or 3 minutes during a tour match when the side was bowled out to follow on and decide to open the 2nd innings with the last pair from the 1st innings?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
120 minutes. by MEZ Ghazali of Pakistan v England at Manchester 1954. between 1st and 2nd innings .
And four minutes is your current record for the fastest correct answer on this thread :)

Your turn.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I seem to remember it is something ridiculous like 2 or 3 minutes during a tour match when the side was bowled out to follow on and decide to open the 2nd innings with the last pair from the 1st innings?
Is it ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I seem to remember reading about it - I think it involved an Indian touring side.

And here's the scorecard, take a bow Mr Judge.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question -

Read the following and name the cricketer concerned.

After being over looked by selectors for A test, he asked to be twelfth man for the next FC game .

" There he came out with the drinks steward, attired in a grey suit with red carnation, carrying a tray with a scent spray, a portable radio and cigars which he offered to the players and umpires. He received a mixed reception from the crowd." :laugh: :laugh:

"In a match in England in 1948 after a strong appeal had been turned down by A. Skelding, the umpire, a dog ran on to the field. He captured the animal and carried it to Skelding with the caustic comment: Now all you want is a white stick." :laugh: :laugh:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Question -

Read the following and name the cricketer concerned.

After being over looked by selectors for A test, he asked to be twelfth man for the next FC game .

" There he came out with the drinks steward, attired in a grey suit with red carnation, carrying a tray with a scent spray, a portable radio and cigars which he offered to the players and umpires. He received a mixed reception from the crowd." :laugh: :laugh:

"In a match in England in 1948 after a strong appeal had been turned down by A. Skelding, the umpire, a dog ran on to the field. He captured the animal and carried it to Skelding with the caustic comment: Now all you want is a white stick." :laugh: :laugh:
Sid Barnes ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Sid Barnes ?
Sid Barnes is correct.

Next season, having been passed over by the Selectors for a Test against South Africa, Barnes asked to be twelfth man for New South Wales at Adelaide. There he came out with the drinks steward, attired in a grey suit with red carnation, carrying a tray with a scent spray, a portable radio and cigars which he offered to the players and umpires. He received a mixed reception from the crowd. After that season he again took to the Press Box.

In a match in England in 1948 after a strong appeal had been turned down by A. Skelding, the umpire, a dog ran on to the field. Barnes captured the animal and carried it to Skelding with the caustic comment: Now all you want is a white stick.

He had a brief spell with Burnley, the Lancashire League club, in 1947, but the contract was ended by mutual consent before the season ended.

Gideon Haigh, Wisden Cricketers' Almanack

You may go ahead and post.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Sorry Marc, feel free to post a question !! Didn't see your post above !! :)
No, I don't have any good ones at all, just occasionally have a random bit of knowledge to impart (as that 2 minute gap one showed)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Of players who batted for 8 innings who had the highest average in last years Minor Counties Championship?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
Of players who batted for 8 innings who had the highest average in last years Minor Counties Championship?
Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St Team

RC Driver 5 8 2 545 183 90.83 2 2 1 - CORNWALL

The afore-named Ryan Driver !! :) :)