• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
it was an english cricketer wasnt it?
No

It would have to be an English captain in the late 18th century/early 19th century....NO

Btw, how can a player be captain if he does not play at all if available?

If the answer to that was obvious, I wouldnt have posted this question :p

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm...I've heard of this before, can't name the certain player though.

Anyway, I've been a little busy lately but I'm ready to make a return to the quiz threads here now! :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Baconator said:
I'm probably miles off here, but was it an ODI only or A tour or something like that?
It was a test tour and a historic one in a way.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Was it the "Maharajah of Porbander" who was named Captain of Indias Inaugural Test tour of England in 1932 ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Was it the "Maharajah of Porbander" who was named Captain of Indias Inaugural Test tour of England in 1932 ?
Spot on !!!

He was captain, fit and available but chickened out (thank God) and asked CK Nayudu to lead India in its first ever test match.

Well done.
Your turn.

and Good Morning. :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Wow! I never would have got that. Congrats, Jason

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Thanks Mate.

Question

Which Provincial Team of a non Test Playing Nation has the honour of beating the australians in a game (limited over game not first class) ? (Apologies for error in the wording of question) :D :D

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Little known facts about India's first test touring side's captain

1. Real Name : Natwarsinhji Bhavsinhji I have yet to meet anyone who knew his name and everyone knows him as Porbunder (the small state he was the Maharaja od)

2. Cricket Career : While he forfeited his only chance to play test cricket (thank God) his first class career consisted of six matches in all , in whic he scored a GRAND TOTAL of 42 runs with a REGAL average of 6.00 !! He had never bowled a single ball in FCC. I suppose he rarely came in to field and sent one of his hirelings :p . Clearly cricket WAS the sole reason for his being given the signal honour of leading the Indian team on its historic tour.

PS. His entire first class cricket, to the best of my knowledge was on this tour only !!

3. A Great Players' Captain !!
: Naturally, with his fantastic first class cricket record, on tour, the Maharajah no doubt did his best for the team as a batsman. However, he had on his team a sparkling young batsman by the name of Nariman D Marshall. In the 25 first class games the team played on tour, Marshall played a grand total of ZILCH.

At a time when you were paid NOTHING (virtually) on tour and had to forego major hardships including giving up your careers in some cases and hope to come back and look for a job all over again, just for the glory of wearing the countries colours and represnting it on a field of play, the Maharajah took this young man on a six week journey going and a six week journey back and a 14 week period in between travelling, just to have one solitary photograph in the teams groups picture as his only pleasant memory of the tour.

Marshall who was an excellent coach at the NSCI Jaipur till he died, spoke with a sardonic smile tinged with bitterness barely hidden in his polite and well groomed demeanour when he spoke of his meeting with the Maharajah towards the end of the trip.

Marshall asked His Majesty why he was not played in a single game and if that was to be the case, why was he brought on tour, His Highness replied, it was because he did not like his batting form !! Marshall replied(or so he told me when I visited him in Jaipur in the 70's) " why dont you say clearly that you dont like my face or my family name."

Marshall, of course, was a Christian.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Thanks Mate.

Question

Which Team of a non Test Playing Nation has the honour of beating the australians in a game (limited over game not first class) ? (Apologies for error in the wording of question) :D :D
Was it a less than 50 overs game ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Not sure, will check but definitely a one day game !! :D
Zimbabwe beat Australia in the 1983 world cup. They were not a test nation then.

It was also the first ever one day match between Australia and Zimbabwe.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Zimbabwe beat Australia in the 1983 world cup. They were not a test nation then.

It was also the first ever one day match between Australia and Zimbabwe.
The Team about which the question is based on, is a provincial Team in a non Test playing nation which beat the might of Australia then .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok time for a clue.

Its a province in a country thats only 1 tier behind the Test playing nations.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
A Kenyan team in the lead up to 2003 World Cup?
Not the right answer!! But I commend you because you are in the right line of thinking !!
A little more investigation in lead up games to previous World Cups will get to the Answer ! :D :D