• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Nah I didn't .... this could be tough matching your story

How reliable is your source?
Pretty reliable.

Actually the idea of taking a fielder from the slips is not wrong in a way. That is corroborated by my source but the reason for calling it a THIRD MAN are different.

Steulen

International Regular
1) The fielder was originally posted there to save a third run in the off-side field?
2) Favourite place to let the first-change a.k.a. third bowler warm up?
3) He's in a straight line with wicket and third slip?
4) He's normally the third-best fielder after the two slips?
5) Thick as the English upper class are, they count one-two-three-uhhh-three, therefore Mr. Idiot posted on the boundary is by definition a third man, as in, one of many inconsequential ones?
6) If you look at the trajectory of a ball that was taken at third man after one bounce, it looks like a 3 toppled sideways, like an m like?
7) The first man to be ever posted in that position was maliciously nicknamed Third Man by his teammates after his wife ran off with a pair of identical twins?
8) This fielding position is traditionally closest to the bar; Third Man used to be Thirsty Man but that term was banned due to suspected ambush marketing?
9) Third man orbits the wicket between overs, just like the earth, the Third Stone, does the sun?
10) Why do I even care?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
One of Steulen's has to be correct ...
Okay. Here it is.

Originally, the keeper usde to stand up to most bowlers and even if he stood back, the long stop or a man to cover for the balls that the keeper missed was always a part of the field placing.

Thus two people, keeper and the long stop did the wicket keeping job in a way.

The long stop also ran around to cover the edges or cuts that escaped the slips.

When a bowler was too fast or too many balls were edged/played through the slips and too far for the long stop to cover, a THIRD FIELDER or a third man was used to cover the area which is squarer and more like todays backward point.

This came to be called third man. Even when long stops went out of fashion (at least in the top stamndards of the game), this position remained. At that time, squarer, behind third slip and gully region was the area. But finer for faster bowlers.

I think, the fact that, it was behind gully, and maybe because they might be removing the squarer of the slips to post him deep, was the reason for the answer Burkey got from GOOGLE. But the name third man came not because of third slip, but because he was the third person after the keeper and long stop to do thois job behind square on the off side. :)

Any of you guys can go next.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll go

QUESTION: What was curious about J Briggs's match bag of 15 wickets for 28 runs for England v Sth Africa at Capetown in 1888-89?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Where did you find that, SJS?
I read it in a book but I cant recall which :p

I must have the book of course but difficult to check from all the books I have.

Want me to try ?

By the way, I find your google one also very intersting and plausible since Ranji in his coaching book always shows the third man fielder at deep gully, almost on the fence. Thats why I asked where you read that.

It raised a doubt in my mind too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
I'll go

QUESTION: What was curious about J Briggs's match bag of 15 wickets for 28 runs for England v Sth Africa at Capetown in 1888-89?
He bowled unchanged through his two spells in the two inngs. After 19.4 overs in the first innings he opened the bowling in the second innings as SAF followed on and bowled 14.2 overs right through the innings.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
He bowled unchanged through his two spells in the two inngs. After 19.4 overs in the first innings he opened the bowling in the second innings as SAF followed on and bowled 14.2 overs right through the innings.
True ... but I was actually looking for something else. What else is curious then?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
True ... but I was actually looking for something else. What else is curious then?
He got all 15 wickets without help from fielders, clean bowling 14 and trapping another leg before.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Yep ... pretty easy question actually ... your go
Yes. You shouldnt have given details of the match etc. Just referred to a unique bowling feat by Johnny Briggs (if it is unique)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay . Here is an easy one in return.

Which captain of a touring side who was fit and available and yet did not play any test on the tour and why ?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Yes. You shouldnt have given details of the match etc. Just referred to a unique bowling feat by Johnny Briggs (if it is unique)
In hindsight, yes ... however, I have been criticised a few times for the difficulty of my questions on guru thread *cough*JASON*cough* so my last few have been fairly easy. I will no longer be initimidated because a certain Victorian thinks i am killing the thread.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
In hindsight, yes ... however, I have been criticised a few times for the difficulty of my questions on guru thread *cough*JASON*cough* so my last few have been fairly easy. I will no longer be initimidated because a certain Victorian thinks i am killing the thread.
No a difficult question doesnt kill the thread but if the questioner sees that replies have dried up and he doesnt respond with further hints, that may slow it down considerably :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
It would have to be an English captain in the late 18th century/early 19th century

Stab in the dark, Lord Harris or Lord Hawke?