• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
No, most bowlers in a MATCH (ie both innings). BTW, the record for bowlers in an innings is NINE
OK Burkey, No one has any idea. So, Mate, in the interests of not letting this thread die :D , would you post a subtle clue, so someone will get close to the answer and we can keep the thread alive ! :p :p

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
OK Burkey, No one has any idea. So, Mate, in the interests of not letting this thread die :D , would you post a subtle clue, so someone will get close to the answer and we can keep the thread alive ! :p :p
Okay, the record is 16 bowlers used in both innings of a ODI match. Is it asking too much to list the instances? ( It happened 5 times to my knowledge )

By the way, it isn't that hard to guess numbers, is it?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Okay, the record is 16 bowlers used in both innings of a ODI match. Is it asking too much to list the instances? ( It happened 5 times to my knowledge )

By the way, it isn't that hard to guess numbers, is it?
One match was between Kenya and Bangladesh in Oct 97 when they used 8 bowlers each.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
I did not have that one ...
I was just looking for tall scoring matches between weaker teams and saw this :) Kenya scored 347 for 3 wickets !!

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
If you guys don't want to finish this question, that's fine. I agree with Jason, it's not going anywhere. So we can continue or someone else can post a question if they please.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
If you guys don't want to finish this question, that's fine. I agree with Jason, it's not going anywhere. So we can continue or someone else can post a question if they please.
Its not for not WANTING to finish. I am, for example, just not able to locate the matches. Its not a player or a team to guess its some matches. How to find them among thousands :-O

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Its not for not WANTING to finish. I am, for example, just not able to locate the matches. Its not a player or a team to guess its some matches. How to find them among thousands :-O
That's the problem ... what kind of clues could I give?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
That's the problem ... what kind of clues could I give?
Since SJS has given one instance of this, you could list the other instances, then SJS can ask next question ! (I notice SJS due to ask next question in New cricket trivia thread too ) :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Before Jason lodges another complaint :D here is a simple question.

Why is the position third man called by this name ?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Before Jason lodges another complaint :D here is a simple question.

Why is the position third man called by this name ?
I found this:

In the early days of cricket, a bowler used to have 3 slips, and the area between gully and slips used to be vacant. When shots were played in that area, the 3rd slip used to be transferred there, and hence became "Third Man".

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
How about this?

The term third man originally denoted a position that was beginning to be used more often (with the spread of overarm bowling and the development of off-theory attack) to supplement the more established close offside fielding positions of point and short-slip. The new fieldsman was thus the third man up.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
How about this?

The term third man originally denoted a position that was beginning to be used more often (with the spread of overarm bowling and the development of off-theory attack) to supplement the more established close offside fielding positions of point and short-slip. The new fieldsman was thus the third man up.
You did think it up didn't you ?

No its not.