• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
shankar said:
Sorry for the delay. Here's the question:

What connects Shane Warne,Nayan Mongia,Azharuddin,Steve Bucknor and Arthur Mailey?
The most obvious link to me seems 'Match fixing' :laugh:
Monghia and Azhar were accused of receiving money , While Warne received few thousand dollars for socalled "weather and pitch reports" (as curator and weather forecaster), Bucknor has I think claimed at various times to have beeb offered same! Not sure about Arthur Mailey . So I think my guess must be pretty much off the mark from the answer expected

Anything to do with their nick names ? :D

Hollywood (Warne)
Mailey (called the Millionaire bowler)
not sure about the others .

I wonder Shankar if you would consider giving clues because, this one I can see is going to be a tough one to crack without clues! :)

shankar

International Debutant
:happy: It's neither match-fixing or nicknames :p

CLUE: The connection is a number.

This clue makes it really easy!

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
They all have something to do with the no. 99?
Azhar - 99 Tests, Highest score of 199
Mongia - 99 catches in Tests
Warne - Highest score of 99
Mailey - 99 Test wickets
Bucknor - Umpired 99 Tests

shankar

International Debutant
Dasa said:
They all have something to do with the no. 99?
Azhar - 99 Tests, Highest score of 199
Mongia - 99 catches in Tests
Warne - Highest score of 99
Mailey - 99 Test wickets
Bucknor - Umpired 99 Tests
Ah! You got it. Well done :cool:
I knew that clue would make it too easy! :@

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
shankar said:
Ah! You got it. Well done :cool:
I knew that clue would make it too easy! :@
Sorry Mate, You could've made the clue a little vague, if you didn't want it to be too easy.

I personally would rather give clues and let others answer rather than keep the same question going on for several days to weeks. I would lose interest in the thread if that occurred often as would several others I suspect.

Dasa

Ok, here's my Q.
Shane Warne, Ian Healy and Steve Waugh have many things in common, but I'm looking for just one. This one may be a bit vague, so I'll give clues regularly.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
they're all involved in this ridiculous question
and
they all have an 'A', an 'H' and an 'E' in their names as spelt by you and you could add an 'N' if you gave Waugh his full first name :p

Dasa

does anyone else have this in common with them? I don't think so - haven't checked though.
Is it to do with their batting? No

It's deceptively simple.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
does anyone else have this in common with them? I don't think so - haven't checked though.
Is it to do with their batting? No

It's deceptively simple.
Did they play in a particular number of test (ie Milestone Test for each) together ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Are they the players who have played most Tests together ? or most Internationals (including ODIs) together ?

Dasa

Did they play in a particular number of test (ie Milestone Test for each) together ?
On the right track there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
They all played in their debut match against sub continental teams iunder Border.

Waugh played in Healy's debut match.

Waugh and Healy played in Warnes debut match.

Warne and Waugh played in Healy's farewell match.

Warne played in Waugh's farewell match

All three played in Border's farewell match.

Dasa

Well I was looking for something much more simple, but I almost feel as if I should give it to you for that effort!
I'll give a clue now, as the question is a bit vague.
It has something to do with an opponent in a milestone match.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for the clue. Since I did have a notion of this and suggest this in my previous post I am going to claim this ! :)

They all played their 100th Test against South Africa.

Last edited:

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
in australia's winning test streak of 16 in a row. there is one player who only played for them in one match dueing that streak. who was it?