• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
If it's not a particular stroke you are after, then I think this may be the answer -

WG was considered a pioneer in a sense because he advocated and merged the practice before then, of batsmen either adopting forward-play or backward-play throughout their careers !! WG advocated that batsmen merge (and use) both !!
No. It really is a stroke that wasnt played before him and he is recorded to have been the first to play it and score lots of runs by it !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Either the Hook shot or Cover Drive (I guess not many other shots left ) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I will say Hook Shot.
Neither .

Thats a lot of questions for this format :@
Kidding. 8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Is it the 'leg side' flick ? (This is my last answer )?
No. But I will give the answer.

WG was the first to play short pitched bowling on the leg stump with a straight bat 'push' to mid wicket or mid on.

He called it a push but since a very large number went to mid wicket or even straighter for fours, I would say a back foot drive. Probably push was what they called it and reserved the drive for the front foot straight bat shots in front of the wicket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Well then who will be asking the next question ?
Remember Jason, once when we were discussing WG, I mentioned that he started the backfoot driving in cricket. I was perhaps confusing with this reference.

BTW, you go ahead with the next question.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Remember Jason, once when we were discussing WG, I mentioned that he started the backfoot driving in cricket. I was perhaps confusing with this reference.

BTW, you go ahead with the next question.
Sorry, Only place I am going ahead to is the Bed . :p :laugh: It's Good night from me !

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
A world record ties these two batsmen - twice over !!
2 days not a single post !! In fact this must be the first time Our poor "Cricket Guru" thread had to languish being relegated to the third page on the Cricket Web!! :( :( :(

Please don't let our poor thread languish in the relegation zone !! :nono: :nono:

SJS any clues to help resolve this question !! This question appears so vague that I wondered if you had mistakenly posted this on this thread instead of the New Cricket Trvia thread !! :laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
JASON said:
2 days not a single post !! In fact this must be the first time Our poor "Cricket Guru" thread had to languish being relegated to the third page on the Cricket Web!! :( :( :(

Please don't let our poor thread languish in the relegation zone !! :nono: :nono:
Cheers!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:

SJS any clues to help resolve this question !! This question appears so vague that I wondered if you had mistakenly posted this on this thread instead of the New Cricket Trvia thread !! :laugh:
These are two players from different teams who were witness to a unique 'double' record. This is almost as much as telling the answer !!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
These are two players from different teams who were witness to a unique 'double' record. This is almost as much as telling the answer !!
The World Records are of Lara - 375 and 400!

Graham Thorpe was the player who played for Englan in both the tests 10 years separating them. For Windies it was Lara ofcourse. Not sure if Jacobs played in both tests too. Also Darell Harper was umpire in both tests..

Great question!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
The World Records are of Lara - 375 and 400!

Graham Thorpe was the player who played for Englan in both the tests 10 years separating them. For Windies it was Lara ofcourse. Not sure if Jacobs played in both tests too. Also Darell Harper was umpire in both tests..

Great question!
Well Done.

Your turn.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Only numbers 10 and 11 to have both scored a century in the same innings of a first class match