• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
What exceptional World Record do Chandu Sarwate and Shute Banerjee hold?

Shoot!
They hold the the record for Indias biggest 10th wicket partnership... 249... against English county side Surrey at the Oval in 1946

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Only numbers 10 and 11 to have both scored a century in the same innings of a first class match
Yes. I knew some one would get this one fast.

Batting at No. 10, Sarwate made 124* and Banerjee made 121 at 11 for a partnership of 249 runs for the touring Indians against Surrey in 1946.

Ask the next one man..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ok. Heres an easy one.

How many bowlers in history have taken 5(or more) wickets in an innings at least once? And who gave away the fewest runs while doing so ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Ok. Heres an easy one.

How many bowlers in history have taken 5(or more) wickets in an innings at least once? And who gave away the fewest runs while doing so ?
Is it too tough ??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm pretty sure someone's taken 5-0, but wouldn't know the number that have taken a 5fer.

At a guess - 1000?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Stupid question. The person who has the most time will scroll through howstat.com and find out the sum of the 5fer column... most 'numbers' questions like this are lame.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Stupid question. The person who has the most time will scroll through howstat.com and find out the sum of the 5fer column... most 'numbers' questions like this are lame.
Instead of passing judgement, why not answer it and then post a less stupid question.

Steulen

International Regular
OK, educated guess: 1733 Test matches have been completed so far. I would guesstimate that a 5-wicket haul happens once every...hrmpfh...4 innings, that would give roughly 1733 5-wicket hauls in history. A lot of those go to really good bowlers who do it time and again...so I'm going for approximately...339 bowlers :)

Best one? Fidel Edwards 6/3...or was that lawson instead of Edwards? Can't remember...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Instead of passing judgement, why not answer it and then post a less stupid question.
Because answering that question would not entail cricket knowledge per say. Judge a lot of time spending on howstat or cricinfo maybe. I am entitiled to my judgement and wont answer such a question and as a result waste a lot of time performing a stupid act.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Because answering that question would not entail cricket knowledge per say. Judge a lot of time spending on howstat or cricinfo maybe. I am entitiled to my judgement and wont answer such a question and as a result waste a lot of time performing a stupid act.
Then dont !!

BTW, I agree the question does not rest cricketing knowledge. That criticism is valid. But instead of just saying that wrtitng STUPID POST ! Is not a great way to communicate what you want to say. It shows a degree of arrogance which can be replied in kind but will lead to the type of pointless slanging matches that go on here. Two can play at being rude. Never forget that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Then dont !!

BTW, I agree the question does not rest cricketing knowledge. That criticism is valid. But instead of just saying that wrtitng STUPID POST ! Is not a great way to communicate what you want to say. It shows a degree of arrogance which can be replied in kind but will lead to the type of pointless slanging matches that go on here. Two can play at being rude. Never forget that.
Well its not arrogance. I never said you are stupid which would entail a personal comment. I just expressed what a stupid question it was. I am entitled to do that. And yes, there are quite a few unnecessary slanging matches here so we will avoid that.

Peace.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Well its not arrogance. I never said you are stupid which would entail a personal comment. I just expressed what a stupid question it was. I am entitled to do that. And yes, there are quite a few unnecessary slanging matches here so we will avoid that.

Peace.
Good enough for me :)

BTW, if you see carefully, I did not want to ask the next question and was asked to do so because Benchmark himself did not have anything ready. I was just in the process of doing some research for my book and had this figure sticking out like a sore thumb so just put it there. Even at that time I thought it was a bit silly. :p

So let me answer it.

The number is 642 till date who between them have got 2241 five wicket hauls. It is truly 'trivia' and as meaningless as any stat can be. :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
OK, educated guess: 1733 Test matches have been completed so far. I would guesstimate that a 5-wicket haul happens once every...hrmpfh...4 innings, that would give roughly 1733 5-wicket hauls in history. A lot of those go to really good bowlers who do it time and again...so I'm going for approximately...339 bowlers :)

Best one? Fidel Edwards 6/3...or was that lawson instead of Edwards? Can't remember...
Yes. It was Lawson with 6 for 3.

You may ask the next question since I have answered the silly/stupid/meaningless first part myself :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Since no one seems interested enough to ask a question, I will do the honours.

q} Who was the first English left hander to score a test century?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Since no one seems interested enough to ask a question, I will do the honours.

q} Who was the first English left hander to score a test century?
Frank Woolley 5th Test 1911-12 at Sydney Cricket Ground

bryce

International Regular
jase i hope you don't mind too much but i'm gonna have to take your question buddy - you can take my next one if you want(providing i get one!)

Who did former England coach and current commentator David Lloyd say this about,
"If he's an international cricketer then my ar$e is a fire engine"