• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ok im spent, i have gone through the list of every Cricketer ever to play SS for Queensland and i cant find one which was a leg spinner and ended his First class Career in 1926... lol maybe im not looking hard enough

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
Didnt Queensland enter SS in 1926/27? hmm im confused
You are right.
But States not playing Sheffield Shield were playing First class matches with one or other of the States as one off in the years preceding entry into Sheffield Shield. For instance Tassie V Vic is the first ever recorded FC match in Australia (played at Launceston) in 1851!!
Hunter Poon is said to have been of three quarter Chinese descent and it appears only played one FC match for Queensland v Vic in 1924 .(The MCC V Queensland Country XII match played at Toowoomba, before the 4th Test of the Body line series was a draw, but not considered a FC match !!)

Last edited:

benchmark00

ahhhh yeah i knew that (good thinking by the way). Its just when he said Sheffield shield i assumed it was 1926+... my bad, i guess.... technicality,lol

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for the compliments, Mate !!

Question -

Which is the first known instance of a bowler refusing to bowl in a Test Match because of a disagreement with his Captain ? (The bowler in question was the leading wicket taker on tour. Thus helping his opposition win the Test!!)

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Was it Sydney Francis Barnes who refused to play in the 5th Test of the 1913/14 tour to South Africa?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
Was it Sydney Francis Barnes who refused to play in the 5th Test of the 1913/14 tour to South Africa?
Bryce you have got the name right!! But not Syd and was years earlier !!

This chap played but refused to bowl because of disagreement with his skipper even though he was the leading wicket taker on tour as well as being a brilliant all rounder !!

(Try a different Barnes ) :) :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
hmmm Bill Barnes?
Correct. Despite being a brilliant all rounder and leading wicket taker, Bill Barnes refused to bowl in the third Test Of the 1884/5 series in Sydney,because of disagreement with his captain Arthur Shrewsbury !!

Australia won the Test by 6 runs.

Barnes had scored 134 and 28 not out and taken 3/51 in the first Test win in Adelaide by 8 wickets, 58 and 3/50 and 6/31 in the second Test win by 10 wickets in Melbourne, but in the third (when he refused to bowl) scored 0 and 5 in the 6 run loss in Sydney.

In the fourth Test at Sydney he scored 50 and 20 and took 4/61 and 1/15 in an 8 wicket loss to Australia, and 2/47 and 74 in the final series clinching victory at the MCG which England won by an innings and 98 runs .

Your turn !! :xmas: :newyear: :santa: :holiday:

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Who is the only person in the entire history of First Class cricket to score a double century in each innings?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I know this one! Saw it on Beeb website a while ago.

Arthur Fagg.
Yes. I can confirm you are right. He scored 244 and 202 not out against Essex in 1938.

Your turn to ask.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, apologies for delay. The necessity for sleep!

In his editorial for The Cricketer magazine dated May 20 1933 Plum Warner described a well-known test player as being,

"particularly well endowed in the lower part of his anatomy"

Who was this lucky chap? :D

benchmark00

lol i know its off topic but i read that its boybrumby's birthday today! haha.. happy birthday quizmaster!... stop asking impossible questions! lol