• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

biased indian

International Coach
JASON said:
Then the odd man out is Azhar (because he fielded in the covers quite a bit rather than the slips IIRC) or Viv Richards (because he also fielded more in the field rather than in the slips) , while everyone else in that list of 20 are slip fielders.
No azhar did feild second slip some time and was regular first slip for kumble same for viv, go through the list and u will find one man there is differrent from every one else and its quiet obvious

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
No azhar did feild second slip some time and was regular first slip for kumble same for viv, go through the list and u will find one man there is differrent from every one else and its quiet obvious
Shane Warne - because he has also the record for most wickets taken caught in the field off his bowling, along with 100 catches he has taken at slip.

biased indian

International Coach
JASON said:
Shane Warne - because he has also the record for most wickets taken caught in the field off his bowling, along with 100 catches he has taken at slip.
U r right JASON!!!

But do u have to go this far with u r reasonings, i was looking for a simple answer
he is the only Bowler in that list!!!!!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
U r right JASON!!!

But do u have to go this far with u r reasonings, i was looking for a simple answer
he is the only Bowler in that list!!!!!!
Sorry BI . I was only considering Botham, Sobers etc. (and Likes of Greg Chapell, Richards and even Goochie) who may have been offended that their bowling credentials were not being valued !! :laugh: :laugh:

Question

Which bowler has held the record of being "the highest wicket taker in Test cricket" (in its chronological progress) for the longest period of time to date ? And for how long (answer to this alone wins) :) ?(and from which date to which date :laugh: :laugh: ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Sorry BI . I was only considering Botham, Sobers etc. (and Likes of Greg Chapell, Richards and even Goochie) who may have been offended that their bowling credentials were not being valued !! :laugh: :laugh:

Question

Which bowler has held the record of being "the highest wicket taker in Test cricket" (in its chronological progress) for the longest period of time to date ? And for how long (answer to this alone wins) :) ?(and from which date to which date :laugh: :laugh: ?
Barnes became the record holder on 13th Dec 1913 when he took his 142nd career wicket overtaking Trumble 141.

Barnes ended his career with 189 wickets in 1914.

Grimmett overtook Barnes on 2nd January 1936 in South Africa's 2nd innings when he took his 190th test wicket.

Thus Barnes held the record from Dec 1913 to Jan 1936 . Just over 22 years in all.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Barnes became the record holder on 13th Dec 1913 when he took his 142nd career wicket overtaking Trumble 141.

Barnes ended his career with 189 wickets in 1914.

Grimmett overtook Barnes on 2nd January 1936 in South Africa's 2nd innings when he took his 190th test wicket.

Thus Barnes held the record from Dec 1913 to Jan 1936 . Just over 22 years in all.
Barnes it was !! :D :D (Grimmett was the second highest duration holder of the record having held it from 1936 to 1953 . :) (I must stop posting absent mindedly :laugh: )

Over to you ! :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
? They both have 1000 runs and 100 wickets in ODIs
No. Thats at least not what I had in mind. Its not something that simple, Most players if they played long enough would achieve that. This one either you do or you dont. :D

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
No. Thats at least not what I had in mind. Its not something that simple, Most players if they played long enough would achieve that. This one either you do or you dont. :D
Respiratory problems? I read Chandana has one, for which he flew to Singapore. Not sure about Klusener. Just a wild guess it is...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Respiratory problems? I read Chandana has one, for which he flew to Singapore. Not sure about Klusener. Just a wild guess it is...
That IS a wild guess ! :p

But no

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Not clear. Please rephrase.
were their dismissal by the bowler give the bowler a record , ie were they the bowler's record breaking victim/dismissal ? (I know Chandana was Warne's record equalling wicket ie 527th victim)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
were their dismissal by the bowler give the bowler a record , ie were they the bowler's record breaking victim/dismissal ? (I know Chandana was Warne's record equalling wicket ie 527th victim)
No. Nothing of the sort.