• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
shankar said:
He is the only one to have officiated both in Football and Cricket world cup matches
Correct. Although I don't think he has refereed Footbal world cup itself, but rather only World Cup qualifiers. Anyway most of your answer is correct.
Your turn !! :serenade:

Xaxerian

Cricket Spectator
I'll have a go. :D

For which Australian fast bowler's benefit did the entire Kent country team pose nude in a calendar for? ;)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Xaxerian said:
I'll have a go. :D

For which Australian fast bowler's benefit did the entire Kent country team pose nude in a calendar for? ;)
Martin McCague. :D (But I thought he was English) Sorry Matey, Its Shankar's turn to ask next question !! :)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Shankar has still not posted a question , I am posting this one as an alternate question.

Question

Who is the only Wicket keeper in the history of Test cricket to have opened the bowling in an innings of a Test Match ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Since Shankar has still not posted a question , I am posting this one as an alternate question.

Question

Who is the only Wicket keeper in the history of Test cricket to have opened the bowling in an innings of a Test Match ?
First of all there has been an Indian who did that..Budhi Kunderan :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
First of all there has been an Indian who did that..Budhi Kunderan :D
I don't think Budhi Kunderan opened bowling and kept wicket in the same Test , which is the question I have asked !!

Kunderan opened bowling in a Test in 1967 when he was not the wicket keeper . (The keeper being Farouk Engineer) !! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Walcott ?
Correct. It was the second Test V England at Manchester 1950. Walcott according to my source opened bowling in the second innings with Gomez after the other opening bowler (Johnson) had been injured .

However the score cards of this Test seem to show Walcott's figures lower down.(suggesting that the bowling was opened by Gomez and Alf Valentine !!). I guess since these scorecards were obtained through various sources, it is possible these sources may have erred on account of Walcott having kept wicket in the Test!!

Over to you for next question !! :serenade:

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Which post war cricketer set a record by opening both batting and bowling for his country in 14 (I think, plus/minus one) test matches, which still stands ?

shankar

International Debutant
JASON said:
I don't think Budhi Kunderan opened bowling and kept wicket in the same Test , which is the question I have asked !!

Kunderan opened bowling in a Test in 1967 when he was not the wicket keeper . (The keeper being Farouk Engineer) !! :)
Incidentally that was the only test match in which all 4 of the spin quartet played.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Which post war cricketer set a record by opening both batting and bowling for his country in 14 (I think, plus/minus one) test matches, which still stands ?
ML Jaisimha

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
ML Jaisimha
Great answer !!!! To tell the truth, I didn't expect it to be answered in the first try :)

Manoj Prabhakar would have bettered it but his sequence was twice interrupted by matches in which one team did not even bat because of rain (one in Sri Lanka 1993-4, one against NZ 1995-6)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Great answer !!!! To tell the truth, I didn't expect it to be answered in the first try :)

Manoj Prabhakar would have bettered it but his sequence was twice interrupted by matches in which one team did not even bat because of rain (one in Sri Lanka 1993-4, one against NZ 1995-6)
Shankar, you want to ask the next question ?

shankar

International Debutant
Who was the first non-cricketer/politician whose death was mourned by cricketrs in a match by wearing black-bands?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Was that during the 1984/5 England in India ? The British deputy high commissioner was shot dead just before the test