• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
i am the only centurion in this group of 90 who am i???
Ted Martin the only Australian First Class Cricketer ever to live to 100 (among a group of 90 Plus FC cricketers) (No Test cricketer of any country has lived to 100 yet !! The closest being England's FA Mackinnon who died at 98 years and 324 days. MJ Gopalan could've been 97 but there is uncertainty about his date of birth.) The following is an article on this .

World's oldest first class cricketer dies

Ted Martin, the world's oldest first-class cricketer and the first player in Australia to live to 100, has died in Perth at the age of 101.

A former West Australian legspinner, Martin lived to 101 years and 257 days*, making him the fifth longest-living first-class player in history.

His first-class career, spanning two games and only eight days, was brief but eventful. Both his matches were against Douglas Jardine's reviled and revered England side in the Bodyline summer of 1932-33.

Picked for WA against MCC in the tour opener, Martin picked up three wickets in each innings at exorbitant cost, finishing with the extraordinary match tally of 6 for 165 from 23.6 eight-ball overs. Four times Freddie Brown, the England allrounder, was dropped off his bowling.

It was in this game that fast bowlers Harold Larwood and Bill Bowes first dabbled with some short-pitched bowling, later to blossom into full-blown Bodyline. The Waca crowd "became caustic" at one stage, reported a local newspaper, and Martin himself, batting at No. 9, received a brief and unpleasant bouncer barrage.

"Bowes gave me a couple of whacks … they gave me a bit of it," he told The West Australian newspaper's John Townsend in 2001. "You only wore a pad, gloves and a box in those days, and the box wasn't much good."

Observers were sufficiently intrigued by Martin's productive but profligate debut for him to be picked for a combined Australian XI against MCC three days later. Again it was at the Waca and again Martin proved costly, going for 126 runs in 16 wicketless overs.

This time he played alongside Don Bradman, Stan McCabe, Vic Richardson and Jack Fingleton – but only Richardson spoke. "He thought he was an important man but he wasn't all that polite," Martin recalled. "He was quite rough actually." Meanwhile Bradman "did little but sit in his corner and keep to himself".

And that, so far as Martin was concerned, was that. It was still 15 years before WA would acquire Sheffield Shield status, and Martin retired immediately to focus on his accountancy career. A prolific wicket-taker at grade level, he was also a talented Australian Rules player until a pre-season ankle injury curtailed his footballing prospects.

In September 2002 he became the ninth first-class player in history – and the first Australian – known to have lived to the age of 100. He had a party at home with family and friends, and quipped: "It's nice to have beaten Bradman at something."

He was still sprightly enough to pose for local newspaper photographers, showing off his leg-break grip, an enviable mane of white hair and the broadest of smiles. Behind his right shoulder, the Waca scoreboard read: "Martin, 100". "I'm old in time but not in mind," he said, inadvertently paraphrasing Bob Dylan.

The oldest first-class cricketer in history was the Derbyshire batsman JM Hutchinson, who died in 2000 aged 103 years, 344 days. Before Martin, the oldest Australian was the New South Wales batsman Ray Bardsley, brother of Warren, who died in 1983 at 99 years, 157 days.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Ted Martin the only Australian First Class Cricketer ever to live to 100 (among a group of 90 Plus FC cricketers) (No Test cricketer of any country has lived to 100 yet !! The closest being England's FA Mackinnon who died at 98 years and 324 days. MJ Gopalan could've been 97 but there is uncertainty about his date of birth.) The following is an article on this .
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Does '90' refer to 90 candidates or those who have reached 90's but not become centurions ?

biased indian

International Coach
its a goup of say 90 and one in them a cliam to some thing that is over 100??

if i am more specific it will become quiet easy!!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
its a goup of say 90 and one in them a cliam to some thing that is over 100??

if i am more specific it will become quiet easy!!!

Q2. Are these cricket venues ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just for information, Melbourne with 213 (96 tests, 117 ODI's) is the best known venue with 200 plus international cricket venues.

But it has a rival in Sharjah CA Stadium with 202 (4 tests and 198 ODI's) !! I am sure, before India refused to play Pakistan, Sharjah was leading Melbourne or would have very shortly .

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:
Just for information, Melbourne with 213 (96 tests, 117 ODI's) is the best known venue with 200 plus international cricket venues.

But it has a rival in Sharjah CA Stadium with 202 (4 tests and 198 ODI's) !! I am sure, before India refused to play Pakistan, Sharjah was leading Melbourne or would have very shortly .
have u got any idea when next match at sharjah will be played

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
have u got any idea when next match at sharjah will be played
Dont know.

India refused since they felt the place/atmosphere etc was too anti-Indian and it was not fun anymore. I think with the new much-imroved relations between India and Pakistan things should be different.

Plus there is the shadow of match fixing which really became big from Sharjah since the big time bookies are operating from Dubai.

BTW, I am off as the test is starting. See ya.

biased indian

International Coach
i just went through the whole thread and found out that thier was a total of 279 questions that were answered and 44 people have so far answered correctly. here the list of who answered how many only (95% accuracy)

• Jason 37
    Biased indian 33
    Tapioca 31
    SJS 21
    marc71178 18
    bryce 13
    Neil Pickup 11
    Sudeep 11
    Shankar 10
    waughney 7
    superkingdave 7
    Dasa 7
    swervy 6
    BoyBrumby 6
    luckyeddie 5
    jamee999 5
    Adamc 4
    a massive zebra 4
    Imagine 4
    Deja moo 4
    tooextracool 3
    Gaijin-san 3
    delkap 3
    NikhilN 2
    Craig 2
    steds 2
    Paidtheumpire 2
    wpdavid 1
    twctopcat 1
    sanz 1
    roseboy64 1
    Py 1
    Mr Mxyzptlk 1
    kishanteli 1
    iamdavid 1
    CrimeMasterGogo 1
    blewy 1
    bennyr 1
    Voltman 1
    Mr Casson 1
    Krishneelz 1
    Fred 1
    Indie2 1
    steulen 1

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
nice bit of research :)
congrats jason
Thanks Bryce, BI's data comes as no surprise , since I tended to answer questions (and then post questions) at a time when the thread was in slight decline from lack of interest !!

Credit's due to BI, Sudeep, Marc, Superking Dave, Jamee 999,Neil , Lucky Eddie along with SJS, Tapioca and many others for keeping this thread going !! And maintaining the interest !! The more people we keep interested in this thread the better !!

We should all try and get this thread to be one of the longest threads on the forum !!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Which touring bowller holds the record for the highest number of first class wickets on a tour of England ?