• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
shankar said:
What was the incident?
Shankar its on Page 133 of this thread . Sorry I didn't want it to be repetitive on this thread !!

Question -

David Shepherd is peer less (as SJS told us in the other new trivia thread) !! :laugh: :laugh:
Why ? (It is not for the reasons SJS mentioned in that one) . (By peerless I mean unique )
Please give full details of Match involved. :D (nothing to do with red carding a Dog!! :laugh: :laugh: )

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I realise the question is vague. So here's the clarification to make it clearer !! :unsure:

David Shepherd is unique because he is the only umpire to have done a unique thing in Umpiring in an International Cricket Match !! What was unique ?Which Match was it ?

biased indian

International Coach
JASON said:
Shankar its on Page 133 of this thread . Sorry I didn't want it to be repetitive on this thread !!
i have only less than 60 pages in this thread so where should i look for it :wacko: :wacko:

i have 40 post per page :cool: :cool:

bryce

International Regular
biased indian said:
i have only less than 60 pages in this thread so where should i look for it :wacko: :wacko:

search for the name 'Fred Goodall' and you should find it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:

OK. I will reproduce the question and answer below for the sake of completeness (and for the benefit of Shankar and BI ) !!
Question -

In a Test series, marred by controversies in umpiring the fielding Team had a bowler who took bad sportsmanship to the extreme (after being no-balled and showing his displeasure several times) by running close to the umpire , so close that the batsman couldn't see him, and shouldering the umpire heavily. He ended up being suspended later. But the fielding Team refused to take the field after Tea on the third day and were finally persuaded to return 12 minutes late . Which Test or even which Teams ?

bryce said:
haha easy question for me because the incident is quite famous in new zealand, although i cannot remember the test match the bowler was west indian colin croft and the unfoutunate umpire was fred goodall.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question -

David Shepherd is peer less (as SJS told us in the other new trivia thread) !! :laugh: :laugh:
Why ? (It is not for the reasons SJS mentioned in that one) . (By peerless I mean unique )
Please give full details of Match involved. :D (nothing to do with red carding a Dog!! :laugh: :laugh: )

I realise the question is vague. So here's the clarification to make it clearer !! :unsure:

David Shepherd is unique because he is the only umpire to have done a unique thing in Umpiring in an International Cricket Match !! What was unique ?Which Match was it ?

biased indian said:
First to refer a decision to third umpire
No.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since no one other than BI has even made an attempt to guess, I will give another clue.

Its pretty easily guessable !! :p

It may happen in club cricket, school cricket, I doubt if it has ever happened in first class cricket (although plausible).

WRT the match itself, it happened in the unique environs of the Middle East !!

Now I hope that makes it easier. Guesses are welcome!! :)
(I'm going out for 2-3 hours, so wont check answers till then) :cool:

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
uhhh is it umpiring from the stumps in consecutive overs while the other umpire stays at square leg ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
uhhh is it umpiring from the stumps in consecutive overs while the other umpire stays at square leg ?
Bryce you are almost there. Forget the other ump (which happened to be Good old 'Dickie' Bird). :D

bryce

International Regular
did he umpire from the stumps for the whole match ?

EDIT: wasn't the match when the ball hit dickie bird in the thigh and they had to take his pants off was it ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
did he umpire from the stumps for the whole match ?

EDIT: wasn't the match when the ball hit dickie bird in the thigh and they had to take his pants off was it ?
I never heard of Dickie taking his pants off to show the world his big bird !! :laugh: :laugh: When was that ?

But I'll give this to you.

It was the final of the Champions Trophy in Sharjah in 1988. Pakistan V West Indies 22nd October 1988. Dickie suffered severe dehydration in the middle and had to be carried off the field by the players!!! Shep then had no option but to officiate at both the stumps for every over for the rest of the match !! (Because there was no other qualified ump or replacement available to officiate on the field) .
[ Extracted from Dickie Bird's book]

Your turn ! :serenade:

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am taking the liberty of posting the next question, knowing my answer to be correct. (BTW here's the cricinfo player page thingy on Puss :D (Full name Ellis Edgar Achong)

Wisden obituary
A left-arm spin bowler, he was the first cricketer of Chinese extraction to play Test cricket, appearing for West Indies in six matches against England and taking eight wickets at 47.25. Chosen to tour England in 1933, he played in all three Tests but with limited success, and in all first-class matches that season took 71 wickets. Essentially an orthodox slow left-armer, at Manchester he had Robins stumped by a ball which,—bowled with a wrist-spinner’s action, turned into the right-hander from the off and gave rise to the use in England of the word chinaman to describe such a delivery. After 1935 he played in the Lancashire leagues until 1951, and having returned to live in Trinidad he stood as an umpire in the 1953–54 Port-of-Spain Test between West Indies and England. In all first-class matches he took 110 wickets at 30.23, his best figures being seven for 73 for Trinidad against British Guiana in 1932–33.

The origin of the term “chinaman” is reported to have originated after Achong had Walter Robbins stumped during the Manchester Test of 1933. According to Richie Benaud, as Robbins walked back to pavilion he said to Joe Hardstaff Snr, the umpire: “Fancy being done by a bloody chinaman"

Question

Why is Steve Bucknor Peerless ? :) Give reasons .(actually 1 good reason :D )

Last edited: