• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
And 99* by Tudor!
Point Taken !! Sorry I missed that one .

It just seems an oddity in cricket that if you score 99 it seems a lesser achievement than if you score that extra run and get 100 . :dontgetit

bryce

International Regular
sorry i was gone, i had to attend to this 'life' thing i've got going on lol.
haha jason that night-watchman list on cricinfo is missing a few other absentees aswell, as marc pointed out notably tudor, but also vettori(90 vs zimbabwe) and boje(85 vs new zealand-i think), of course these are only the ones of the top of my head so i'm assuming there's more.
good stuff on the trueman question, too easy for the older generation :happy:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
sorry i was gone, i had to attend to this 'life' thing i've got going on lol.
haha jason that night-watchman list on cricinfo is missing a few other absentees aswell, as marc pointed out notably tudor, but also vettori(90 vs zimbabwe) and boje(85 vs new zealand-i think), of course these are only the ones of the top of my head so i'm assuming there's more.
good stuff on the trueman question, too easy for the older generation :happy:
Oh yeah !! My list is not a comprehensive one . Thanks for that Mate.

We are still awaiting SJS to post next question!! :)

Did you enjoy the cricket though !! (Orams century, I mean) :)

bryce

International Regular
yeah it was a tyipical oram innings, people think he's a slogger and nothing else but he's always been a 'brains' sort of a batsman.
the cricket was very good, most good days of cricket end with the viewer being able to say 'cricket was the winner' and i think this applies to day 2 of the first test.

we shall wait for king SJS then.....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
haha none
Correct !!

Here is a brief history of the stumps culled by me from various sources :-

1. 14th century :A hole in the ground. The earliest graphic depiction of a cricket game (or a game like it) that is available shows a monk bowling to another monk who has a bat like implement (a criccke) in hand. The batsman is standing in front of a hole and other monks (fielders) are standing around. The idea was for the bowler to drop the ball in the hole or for the batsman to be caught off a strike !
2. Date unknown : A Stick to mark the hole. The first stump was really a stick put in the whole to mark it for the bowler (similar to golf). This later became the one stump and hitting it became the bowlers task.
3. 1700 : Two stumps and one bail. A second stump was added and a bail was put on top. The stumps were 24 inches apart, 12 inches wide. If the ball went through without knocking off the bails, the batsman was not out !
4. 1775 : Addition of a third stump. In May 1775, the highly accurate, Lumpy Stevens bowled three times right through the stumps without bowling the batsman since he did not knock out the stumps or dislodge the bail ! Then it was decided to add a third stump so that the virtue of accuracy was not punished ! Height of the stumps was increased to 22 inches.
5. 1786 : Addition of a second bail. Till then a single bail was kept on top of the three stumps but again a stump could be knocked off and the bail could remain perched up on the other two !
6. 1814 : Size changed 26 inches high and 7 inches wide
7. 1823: Size changed again 27 inches high
8. 1831 : And again 29 inches by 9 inches
9. Undated : Varnished bails and stumps disallowed. In a match when the middle stump was knocked off and the bails did not fall ! It appears that the varnish had melted due to the heat and the bails were stuck to each other ! After that stumps and bails were not allowed to be varnished although you can still buy them some times in this non-standard form.

bryce

International Regular
sorry, that stupid 'life' thing came up again :)

Which former international cricketer is know as 'Bomber'?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
? Waquar Younis (bomber from Burewala) Not sure if he was called Burewala Bomber or Bombshell from Burewala !! :blink:

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
No and no.
Clue: He is a West Indian.
Bryce, Waquar Younis was also nicknamed the Bomber from Burewala. BI's answer is also correct, although since Bomber Wells is not known to have played International cricket, it may not be correct.

As regards to the West Indian cricketer with nickname 'Bomber' I can only guess if it was Charlie Griffith !! Any more clues ? :)

bryce

International Regular
No that is also incorrect, here is a clue:

-The nickname was given to him after an incident which you have based one of your past questions on.