• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Clue 3 - Bryce, Born in Peru !! (Phew the amount of clues I have given you Mate !!Any body would get it now !! :D )

bryce

International Regular
lol i went offline after my last post so didn't see them til' just then, Freddie Brown must be your man.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
lol i went offline after my last post so didn't see them til' just then, Freddie Brown must be your man.
bryce said:
were you trying to give it away so you could watch the start of the test ? lol

No I feel like helping you !! :laugh: :laugh:

Finally You got it !! :clapping:

Fred Brown had retired in 1951 and was chairman of selectors and after the first Test was drawn, he was recalled for the second Test (even though he was the Chairman of selectors at the time), and only played this Test in the series.

Here's the Cricinfo Account of him -

A likeable and entertaining all-rounder, and a fine captain of his county and England. Starting his career with Surrey, and part of the England tour party in 1932-33, he later led Northamptonshire to great effect. Freddie Brown was a hard hitting middle order batsman, noted for his free swinging straight drives, and a versatile bowler. He started as a leg break and googly bowler, but in his later years had much success with medium pace cutters. His career was interrupted by World War 2 (he spent several years in a POW camp), and he captained England in Australia in 1950-51, where somewhat unluckily they suffered a 4-1 defeat. He remained involved with cricket after retirement, as a selector, chairman of the MCC, the Cricket Council and English schools Cricket Association (Dave Liverman, 1998).

Over to you for next question ! :dj:

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Which famous Test fast bowler is this ?

'Like many fast bowlers, he suffered from his share of dropped catches, which frustrated him greatly. After a fielder had dropped another chance, with the ball going for four runs, the fielder apologised, saying, "Sorry, it might have been better if i had kept my legs together".
The bowler, quick as a flash responded, "Aye lad, it's a pity your mother didn't!".

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:

'Like many fast bowlers, he suffered from his share of dropped catches, which frustrated him greatly. After a fielder had dropped another chance, with the ball going for four runs, the fielder apologised, saying, "Sorry, it might have been better if i had kept my legs together".
The bowler, quick as a flash responded, "Aye lad, it's a pity your mother didn't!".
Trueman

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:

Fred Trueman

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Beat ya by the proverbial whisker Jason :p

But since you also gave the first name, you ask the next :p
SJS that's your excuse for avoiding asking the next question !! :huh:

But Since I am not short of questions , I will ask the next question, Again !!

Question

What is the highest score made by a batsman sent in as Night watchman ?

How many night watchmen have scored centuries ?

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
It was a keeper?
No my previous post was misleading !!

The keeper is only one of the centurions !! (Obviously you know who he is).

But the highest score made by a night watchman is another !!(by 4 runs)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
For anyone out there who wants a clue, here's one !

Clue 2 - Name of the player is a *** :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :goof: :clown:

Where's Bryce ? Bryce, are you there ? Hiding may be . :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
For anyone out there who wants a clue, here's one !

Clue 2 - Name of the player is a *** :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :goof: :clown:

Where's Bryce ? Bryce, are you there ? Hiding may be . :laugh: :laugh:
Tony Mann (Australian leg spinner)

Sent in as night watchman against India at number three in the second inninga at WACA against the Indians by Australia in Dec 1977.

He scored 105. It is the only time he batted at any position other than 7 or 8.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Tony Mann (Australian leg spinner)

Sent in as night watchman against India at number three in the second inninga at WACA against the Indians by Australia in Dec 1977.

He scored 105. It is the only time he batted at any position other than 7 or 8.
Correct Answer !! :thumbsup:

The only other Batsmen sent in as Night watchmen who scored centuries were Nasim-ul-Ghani - 101 (Pakistan v England,Lords 1962) and Syed Kirmani 101 not out (India v Australia, Bombay 1979-80).

Other valuable contributions by night watchmen -

98 - H.Larwood England v Australia, Sydney, 1932-33(Body line series)
95 - Eddie Hemmings England v Australia, Sydney 1982-3.
94- R.C.(Jack) Russell (Test debut) England v Sri Lanka, Lords 1988
87 - Peter Taylor Australia v NZ Wellington 1989-90
85 - Wasim Bari Pakistan v India, Lahore 1978-9

Over to you for next question !! :dj: