• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
In 1986 in the Lords test against New Zealeand , Englands keeper Bruce French was injured and Bill Athey kept wickets. Later, in the same match, Bob Taylor and Bobby Parks who were not in the team, kept wickets. After that the law was changed and substitutes were barred from keeping wickets.
That is the correct answer. Bruce French was injured while batting. Bill Athey kept wicket for the first two overs only, before handing over the gloves to Bob Taylor (who was a substitute), and after a further 74 overs Bobby Parks (another substitute) took over from Taylor until the end of the 140th over of the innings. Bruce French then returned and kept wicket for the remaining one ball of the innings!!

Over to you for next question. :dj:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Name the players who have the best test batting averages(irrespective of number of innings played) for each of the test playing countries.

bryce

International Regular
do they have to of been dismissed before ? do infinite averages count ? i.e someone gets 1* in their only test innings

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
do they have to of been dismissed before ? do infinite averages count ? i.e someone gets 1* in their only test innings
Good Point.

Infinite averages dont count. Where number of innings is ZERO it should be taken as ONE. If it still is the best average, then the person can be termed to have the best average. So a total of 63 runs without ever getting out should be given an average of 63 and not infinity.

bryce

International Regular
Infinite averages are separated by the player having the most test runs without being dismissed.

Australia: Stuart Law - Infinite average, 54 runs without being dismissed.
Bangladesh: Habibul Bashar - 35.84
England: Audley Miller - Infinite average, 24 runs without being dismissed.
India: Sadashiv Patil - Infinite average, 14 runs without being dismissed.
New Zealand: William Bell - Infinite average, 21 runs without being dismissed.
Pakistan: Afaq Hussain - Infinite average, 66 runs without being dismissed.
South Africa: Clive Halse - Infinite average, 30 runs without being dismissed.
Sri Lanka: Kosala Kuruppuarachchi and Roshan Guneratne - Both have infinite averages, both have 0 runs without being dismissed.
West Indies: George Gladstone - Infinite average, 12 runs without being dismissed.
Zimbabwe: Andrew Flower - 51.54

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia - AE Trott Test Career Batting and Fielding (1894/95-1898/99)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct
Australia 3 5 3 205 85* 102.50 0 2 4
England 2 4 0 23 16 5.75 0 0 0
Overall 5 9 3 228 85* 38.00 0 2 4
Since Trott played for Australia and England, his Australian average alone is 102.50 . But I am not sure whether your question is highest average for the country or highest average by a person from the country. If the latter is the question then the answer is the Don for Australia .

England - Ian Bell Test Career Batting and Fielding (2004)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 SRate Ct
England 1 1 0 70 70 70.00 0 1 53.84 2

India Deepak (RH) Shodhan Test Career Batting and Fielding (1952/53)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct
India 3 4 1 181 110 60.33 1 0 1

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Australia: Albert Trott* - 102.50
Bangladesh: Habibul Bashar+ - 35.84
England: Ian Bell+ - 70.00
India: Deepak Shodhan - 60.33
New Zealand: Hamish Marshall+ - 109.00
Pakistan: Afaq Hussain= - 66.00
South Africa: Barry Richards - 72.57
Sri Lanka: Naveed Nawaz+ - 99.00
West Indies: Andy Ganteaume - 112.00

* Albert Trott's average is from the tests he played for Australia. He also played tests for England which brought his overall test average to a much more modest 38.00.
+ Current Player in contention for Test Selection for the country in question
= Was never dismissed

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
Australia: Albert Trott* - 102.50
Bangladesh: Habibul Bashar+ - 35.84
England: Ian Bell+ - 70.00
India: Deepak Shodhan - 60.33
New Zealand: Hamish Marshall+ - 109.00
Pakistan: Afaq Hussain= - 66.00
South Africa: Barry Richards - 72.57
Sri Lanka: Naveed Nawaz+ - 99.00
West Indies: Andy Ganteaume - 112.00

* Albert Trott's average is from the tests he played for Australia. He also played tests for England which brought his overall test average to a much more modest 38.00.
+ Current Player in contention for Test Selcetion for the country
= Was never dismissed
Bryce you win !! :)

bryce

International Regular
i'm off to bed now so you guys can work this answer out for yourselves, shouldn't be too difficult

What is the most runs conceded by a single bowler in an ODI ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
i'm off to bed now so you guys can work this answer out for yourselves, shouldn't be too difficult

What is the most runs conceded by a single bowler in an ODI ?
Martin Snedden 105 runs

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
What is the longest single spell of bowling in Test cricket ? (in terms of balls bowled ) Who is the bowler / When did it happen ?
Sonny Ramadhin ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Since it doesn't look like SJS is going to post a question, here's mine !!

Question

The chairman of selectors who was recalled out of retirement to play . Who was it ? when did he play ?