• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

brilliant idea

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
Maybe but it not as over the top as to comparing him to MacGill, or even calling MacGill a medicore bowler.
MacGill is not as great as some would like to believe, but he's also not as terrible as others do.

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
Macgill may bowl loose balls but hes still the 3rd best spinner in the world and i would say in terms of wicket takers arguably the most dangerous
err no, kumble is so far ahead of him that its insane.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
He gets away with his "fourball" an over because he has 3 better bowlers in the side - Ian Salisbury didn't have that luxury...

I'd be interested in how the other 3 aren't mediocre as well.
Each of the sides has two good bowlers and two "mediocre" ones (if you count MacGill as mediocre, which I think is wrong...).

But youde struggle to find a side without 2 mediocre bowlers... even England, who I believe have the second best attack in the world, have Jones and Giles, who are definately mediocre. The only side that really doesnt have any mediocre bowlers in their lineup is Australia...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
MacGill is not as great as some would like to believe, but he's also not as terrible as others do.
He is the second best leg spinner in the world (Kumble is not an orthodox leg spinner) and that cant mean he is bad can it ? :)

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
EDIT: To say the man had/has no ability is ridiculous.
even though he didnt have any ability? 32.5 is an absolute joke at any level, let alone for a bowler who was bowling at batsmen who had no idea how to play leg spin.
his test match performances could be described as nothing other than an absolute disgrace.

tooextracool

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Each of the sides has two good bowlers and two "mediocre" ones (if you count MacGill as mediocre, which I think is wrong...).

But youde struggle to find a side without 2 mediocre bowlers... even England, who I believe have the second best attack in the world, have Jones and Giles, who are definately mediocre. The only side that really doesnt have any mediocre bowlers in their lineup is Australia...
i personally think jones is more than a 'mediocre' bowler, and i really see him doing at least a bit of damage this summer assuming hes fit.
giles perhaps, but when he gets the conditions to his favour, hes a far better bowler than macgill will ever be.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
giles perhaps, but when he gets the conditions to his favour, hes a far better bowler than macgill will ever be.
That joking aren't you MacGill is a lot more effective in conditions that aren't good for spin bowling and as effective in pitches that are good for spin bowling. both average 32 in the sub continent, how does that make Giles a better bowler on pitches that favour spin bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
The fact that he has the best S/R out of any current spin bowler makes him a lot more than medicore.
And how much of that is due to overconfidence from the batsmen after seeing off the good pacemen?

So he has a better S/R than Warne - is it because batsmen respect Warne a heck of a lot more so he has to actually work more for his wickets?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
Sorry, but which of those 5 aside from McGrath is a Good Test bowler?

Or are you taking McGrath's supreme excellence and averaging it out with one of the other bowlers?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Sorry, but which of those 5 aside from McGrath is a Good Test bowler?

Or are you taking McGrath's supreme excellence and averaging it out with one of the other bowlers?
Kasprowicz.

I dont think you noticed, but we changed the teams quite some time ago.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And how much of that is due to overconfidence from the batsmen after seeing off the good pacemen?

So he has a better S/R than Warne - is it because batsmen respect Warne a heck of a lot more so he has to actually work more for his wickets?
Its the batsmen fault for not respecting him and getting themsleves in a false sence of security when they have seen off the fast bowlers. Also if all his success is down to Australia's fast bowlers then how do you explain his success with NSW and Notts (i think).

His good S/R is down to the fact that he spins the bowl more then any other bowler and bowls more unplayable bowls, through his spin and variation then any other spin bowlers outside Warne and Murali.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
Kasprowicz.

I dont think you noticed, but we changed the teams quite some time ago.
I never noticed that, and was still talking about the point made by someone that the original team was better than any other attack in World Cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Its the batsmen fault for not respecting him and getting themsleves in a false sence of security when they have seen off the fast bowlers. Also if all his success is down to Australia's fast bowlers then how do you explain his success with NSW and Notts (i think).
2004 - 40 @ 35.20
2003 - 42 @ 33.52

Success (!)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
2004 - 40 @ 35.20
2003 - 42 @ 33.52

Success (!)
Well three season taking 40 wickets plus each season is success and an ave of 30 isn't as good as he usually bowls, but that cus he bowls a lot more over in England then in Australia for NSW and Australia cus of the complete lack of support. The fact that he can still take wickets and have a decent averages with no support shows he can bowl well with Fast Bowlers at the other end who don't keep it tight.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Hence I called him mediocre.
MacGill isn't the best leggie nor is he the worst. But with the dearth of international leggies, he is easily in the top 5. After all, here are test leg spinners:

Warne, MacGill - AUS
Kumble - IND
Kaneria - PAK
Chandana - SRL

South Africa, New Zealand, England, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh do not have leg spinners at all in their test squad. So by default, Macgill is in the top 5, and I'd say beter than Chandana.

Warne, Kumble, Kaneria, MacGill, Chandana. That sounds about right to me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
South Africa, New Zealand, England, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh
Ever heard of Graeme Cremer?

Also, although he is not a frontline bowler, Ashraful is a leg spinner, and bowls in tests regularly.