• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

brilliant idea

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gangster said:
i have a great idea

take the australia team
break them up into states
or do western/eastern australia
make them all test level
watch them still beat most countries
Australian Arrogance at its very best !!

By that rational, perhaps NZ should have sent a South Island side to Australia in 1985 instead of the full NZ side when they comfortably won that test series.

Mcgrath and Warne won't play forever you know. And we all saw how much Australia struggled to a drawn series with India at home without them.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
zinzan12 said:
Australian Arrogance at its very best !!

By that rational, perhaps NZ should have sent a South Island side to Australia in 1985 instead of the full NZ side when they comfortably won that test series.

Mcgrath and Warne won't play forever you know. And we all saw how much Australia struggled to a drawn series with India at home without them.
IM AN AUSSIE!! OY OY OY

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Voltman said:
I wouldn't be keen on that - I've heard PNG's opening bowler, Joseph Bai, would probably rip through our middle order.
Marcus Bai, ex-NRL player, actually has opened the bowling for PNG!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As for the idea, I think New South Wales and Queensland could compete, but I doubt South Australia would be much better than Zimbabwe.

But really, Australia wont dominate forever. In 10 years time, these state sides could well be getting hammered by Bangladesh, so its a bad idea.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig said:
LOL!

Do you know where I could find this game?
I searched for it on Cricinfo a while back and couldnt find it.

It was mentioned on NRL on Fox a year or two ago I think.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, we won't be as far ahead as everyone else in the near future. That said, I don't think we'll be behind, either, as we've got some good players coming through.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really think I can out this arguement to bed.

This is a would-be Tasmania side:

MJ Di Venuto
J Cox
RT Ponting
GJ Bailey
SB Tubb
LR Butterworth
SR Kremerskothen
SG Clingleffer
XD Doherty
B Geeves
AR Griffith

There is no way in hell that side is test class.

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i reckon if u divided aussies up into half they would probably still defeat most sides. Hey prince EWS just noticed u lived at baulko... we should catch up mate

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Im pretty sure splitting Australia into 2 teams would work (for now, anyway - it would be a disaster long term)

Australia Green
ML Hayden
MTG Elliott
RT Ponting
DS Lehmann
MG Bevan
MJ Clarke
BJ Haddin
B Lee
MS Kasprowicz
GD McGrath
SCG MacGill

Australia Gold
JL Langer
MEK Hussey
SM Katich
DR Martyn
BJ Hodge
AC Gilchrist
SR Watson
AJ Bichel
JN Gillespie
SK Warne
SW Tait

Definately enough there ATM to support two teams....

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My immediate look at that split is neither bowling attack contains anything near the intensity of facing the current top 4.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
no but i i think that happens when you split it in two :p still better than any other attack in the world arn't they.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
better than anything anyone else has, worlds best bowler, and 2nd best leggie as well as bichel and Lee certainly better than any other test side

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It has 1 superb bowler in McGrath, 1 "4-ball an over" leggie, a washed up player who never actually amounted to much in Tests, a player who's done absolutely nothing in the last 6 years and Shane Watson.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Macgill may bowl loose balls but hes still the 3rd best spinner in the world and i would say in terms of wicket takers arguably the most dangerous

Bichel and Lee are certainly not too bad either

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Depends on what you call not too bad.

If your definition of "not too bad" is Australian, then you are undoubtedly correct.

Either way, that "attack" wouldn't be the best in the world.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Depends on what you call not too bad.

If your definition of "not too bad" is Australian, then you are undoubtedly correct.

Either way, that "attack" wouldn't be the best in the world.
better than hoggard, harmison, flintoff and giles. that's for bloody sure