• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

brilliant idea

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
And how did he become an all-time great? By having a good bowling attack, and in particular Glenn McGrath, their bowling partnership proves it, like you should know.
Probably more by being so talented and able to bowl 6 balls an over without giving up a boundary.

By earning the respect of batsmen so that they know not to go after him and thus get themselves out?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
And what is so wrong with having a good bowling attack to bowl to bowl around, certainly better then not having any, as people like Streak, Hadlee, Vettori etc. can testify to, and it makes Warne's life a lot easier having McGrath, Gillespie etc. for support then not having them. As it did for your great WI bowling line-up in the 80's.

Does it make Hadlee for example one of the great bowlers of all time because of the lack of actual world class back up he had with him?
Did you read my posts at all? 8-)
My point is not discrediting anyone for having a good attack around him. The point of discussion was whether MacGill is a better statistical performer when he has a quality attack around him. Do read please.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
So looking at just each season by itself doesn't disort the anaylse then 8-)
Not if you're trying to look at ongoing effectiveness.

If that is what you are looking at, then referring to things from ages ago ahead of more recent events distorts things.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Did you read my posts at all? 8-)
My point is not discrediting anyone for having a good attack around him. The point of discussion was whether MacGill is a better statistical performer when he has a quality attack around him. Do read please.
My eyesight and reading ability is fine thank you Mr Vice Admin.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not if you're trying to look at ongoing effectiveness.

If that is what you are looking at, then referring to things from ages ago ahead of more recent events distorts things.
If your only looking at recent performance outside Test Cricket for recent effectiveness you would be looking at his 04/05 stats from NSW not his county stats for 2004, but once again that just looking at selective stats. Which ever way you look at it by only look at each season by itself your looking at slective stats and not getting the whole picture.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How does a combined figure over several years tell you anything?

What can you compare it with to indicate how the player is performing over time?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
How does a combined figure over several years tell you anything?

What can you compare it with to indicate how the player is performing over time?
Well it tells you have effective a player is over time without top bowlers, all the stats of one year shows you is how he over a short period over a small number of matches, it doesn't give you the overall picture of how a players performanced over time.