• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

brilliant idea

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol well if the other bowlers in there are mediocre, the english bowling attack must be classed as rubbish?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
lol well if the other bowlers in there are mediocre, the english bowling attack must be classed as rubbish?
If the English bowling attack are rubbish, then the rest of the test nations must have some pretty awful batsmen.

Congratulations, you have just explained the dominance of the current Australian team in world cricket - everyone else is rubbish.

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
If the English bowling attack are rubbish, then the rest of the test nations must have some pretty awful batsmen.
LOL.

England will definitely give Australia a run for their money this summer, can't see them winning back The Ashes though.

cameeel

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Congratulations, you have just explained the dominance of the current Australian team in world cricket - everyone else is rubbish.
Exactly right, and coming from an englishman too :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
So which of Lee, Bichel, MacGill and Watson isn't mediocre then (consider this is Test matches)

cameeel

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
So why do any of us bother watching cricket, then?
Because at some point in the near future, aus wont be as dominant as they have been the last decade

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cameeel said:
Because at some point in the near future, aus wont be as dominant as they have been the last decade
I'm sorry, that's not a valid reason for watching cricket.

There aren't that many great Australian chemists, but if there was an international chemistry competition (Nobel Pize apart) it still wouldn't make it a good spectator sport

steds

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
So why do any of us bother watching cricket, then?
because it's a gift from god. It's a game of skill and concentration and dodgy umpires being ridiculed by people, who probably couldn't do any better, sat on their arses watching hawkeye say the ball was missing the stumps by a foot.

Plus every time the Aussies do lose the whole world unites to laugh at them

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
He gets away with his "fourball" an over because he has 3 better bowlers in the side - Ian Salisbury didn't have that luxury...

I'd be interested in how the other 3 aren't mediocre as well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
He gets away with his "fourball" an over because he has 3 better bowlers in the side - Ian Salisbury didn't have that luxury...

I'd be interested in how the other 3 aren't mediocre as well.
Don't tell me your comparing a loser like Ian Salisbury to Stuart MacGill, man Ian Salisbury isn't good enough to play FC Cricket let alone Test Cricket.

The fact that he has the best S/R out of any current spin bowler makes him a lot more than medicore. His E/R of 3.16 isn't that bad as some people seem to be suggesting. An average of 28.8 is better then most spinner going around.

Andy Bichel and Brett Lee are far fom medicore when you look at the other quicks going around in Test Cricket. Bichel average of 32 is on par with most fast bowlers around the world. If you look at his last 4 years of Test Cricket his averages drops down even further, 28.

Even in say all that this bowling attcak isn't very balance and the bowlers are detributed well when you look at the other bowling attack, these bowling attacks would be better.

Prince EWS said:
B Lee
MS Kasprowicz
GD McGrath
SCG MacGill

AJ Bichel
JN Gillespie
SK Warne
SW Tait

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
Don't tell me your comparing a loser like Ian Salisbury to Stuart MacGill, man Ian Salisbury isn't good enough to play FC Cricket let alone Test Cricket.
Wow. The goal is now clear. I must lift myself only to a level where I'm not good enough to play FC cricket - ie capable of taking 773 FC wickets - then I'll have be able to earn a living in County Cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Wow. The goal is now clear. I must lift myself only to a level where I'm not good enough to play FC cricket - ie capable of taking 773 FC wickets - then I'll have be able to earn a living in County Cricket.
That fact that he has played so much FC Cricket just shows the lack of depth in terms of spin bowling in England and lack of FC quailty spin bowlers. The guy takes his wickets at an average of 32.6 aganist some pretty average players of spin.

His Test record just shows how crap a spin bowler he really is; Ave (77), S/R (125) and E/R (3.7). Consider he played 15 Tests it not like he had suffient time to show he had some ability, which he doesn't have.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
That fact that he has played so much FC Cricket just shows the lack of depth in terms of spin bowling in England and lack of FC quailty spin bowlers. The guy takes his wickets at an average of 32.6 aganist some pretty average players of spin.

His Test record just shows how crap a spin bowler he really is; Ave (77), S/R (125) and E/R (3.7). Consider he played 15 Tests it not like he had suffient time to show he had some ability, which he doesn't have.
No, his Test record shows he can't play Test cricket. That says nothing for his value at domestic level. He may not have been an amazing spinner at domestic level, but to say he wasn't worthy of playing at that level is quite over the top.

EDIT: To say the man had/has no ability is ridiculous.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No, his Test record shows he can't play Test cricket. That says nothing for his value at domestic level. He may not have been an amazing spinner at domestic level, but to say he wasn't worthy of playing at that level is quite over the top.
Maybe but it not as over the top as to comparing him to MacGill, or even calling MacGill a medicore bowler.

EDIT: even though Australia don't have that much depth in spin bowling i doubt he would make any side in Australia, that what i was talking about not up to FC standard.

Last edited: