• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Biggest point in Pucovski's favour is that no other youngsters are doing much good and it's looking like most of the rest of the batting line-up will be blokes in their 30s, and the selectors might want to throw him in there just to "balance it out"
The more I think about the more OK I'd be with Pucovski playing. Mental health issues still worry me but at least the series is at home and Pakistan should be an easy kill.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I still tend to be of the belief Pucovski is better served having a full season for Victoria, but if he keeps making the sort of runs he has been then it must be considered. The ability is clearly there but I really don't think Australia should expect too much too early.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I understand that reasoning historically but the way the BBL takes over the summer, I actually think he will benefit more from playing red ball cricket. Like during the tests, what is he actually going to miss besides BBL?

TheJediBrah

Just don't think there is any need to rush. His time will come.
It's not about rushing, it's about picking the best option for both the short and the long term. If you really think Aus cricket will be better served by picking Wade or SMarsh or someone else in their mid-30s at no. 6 and leave Pucovski playing Grade cricket then fair enough

the big bambino

International Captain
As far as Pucovski and the mental health thing, its a good sign Vic having him batting so high. Kind of says he's ready for the responsibility and on the back of that, runs and a bit of desperation would like to see him given his cap.

Burgey

If you want to pick Pucovski then fine, but that means no Pattinson because of the Only One Victorian rule.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I for one look forward to stephen's breakdown when Burns is overlooked again
I'll only melt down if he hits at least one shield hundred between now and then. Or Harris or Bancroft is picked ahead of him. But I suspect Maddinson will end up sneaking ahead on the basis of junk runs on roads.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Nic Maddinson Shield record since moving to Victoria.

7 games, 11 inn, 1no, 861 runs @ 86.10, 224 HS, 4 100's, 1 50

Looking good for a recall as I doubt anyone else has a better record over their last 7 shield games (he was injured for other 5 games last year).

TheJediBrah

I'll only melt down if he hits at least one shield hundred between now and then. Or Harris or Bancroft is picked ahead of him. But I suspect Maddinson will end up sneaking ahead on the basis of junk runs on roads.
Good to see you have your excuses well prepared at least

Spikey

Rewarding guys who have made runs at the level that test players are selected from is bad rationale?
No, picking players in form is bad rationale. Anyone can fluke some runs in quick succession. Nathan Hauritz hit two tons in a row once (Tim Paine must be jealous - it's taken 13 years for him to match that total). How often has picking batsmen "in form" actually worked out for us? What is there to suggest that picking players in form is actually an effective way to select teams? It rewards merit....and then they get dropped 6 tests later and we pick some other in form player. May I remind people for the 200th time that Smith hadn't scored a FC ton for over 12 months when he got recalled. Tbf, I don't really care that much about people like us using this rationale, but I'd like to think full time selectors who should have access to a wealth of information can do a bit better than going onto cricinfo and throwing darts at the top 5 leading run scores. Batsmen don't magically get much better or worse in the space of 5 months. The selectors should be able to sit down in October before the shield season starts and identify, based on stuff like previous run scoring and the dreaded eye test, and work out who they have in mind for a test spot, and some ****er scoring two tons in a row while another ****er fails two times in a row shouldn't throw things into chaos