• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair to Marsh, at least we'll get a ton out of him before some spin bowler comes along and says "I'm going to halt this man's entire career" for the next eight months.

stephen

I don't think S Marsh should be back in the test side. Reward him with a couple of ODIs if he's scoring runs. He's actually good in that format and while he won't be around in four years for the next world cup, it's a good reward for output at state level this early in the cycle.

I really don't like picking teams based on a couple of first class matches. But this is how I imagine the pecking order is:

Openers:

Likely:
Warner
Burns

In the mix:
Maddinson

Just don't:
Bancroft
Harris
Doolan
Renshaw

Middle order:

Gold plated, rock solid, etched in stone:
Smith.exe

Definite:
Labuschagne

In the mix/wouldn't be surprised to see:
Wade
M Marsh
Patterson
Head
Pucovski
Khawaja
S Marsh
Finch
Stoinis

With the bowlers the real question is who out of Starc and Pattinson is the third quick and so far Starc is out in front.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You wouldnt be surprised to see Finch back? I would. Id also be pretty annoyed if we went back the S Marsh route given his age, its also why ive accepted Siddle shouldnt play for the Australian Test team again.

Im actually getting ready for Pucovski at 6 tbh. Wade can bat 5 to mix up the RH-LH a bit.

stephen

Rewarding guys who have made runs at the level that test players are selected from is bad rationale?
Rewarding the guys who make runs in early season shield games purely on that basis is bad rationale. Consistent runs over multiple seasons is what I'd like to see.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Rewarding guys who have made runs at the level that test players are selected from is bad rationale?
Well dont you think the Vic bats have played on better batting pitches compared to say QLD for example?

Maddo makes a 200 on a mcroad and then a pair of 30s. Burns was ahead of him before the Shield season and has been getting starts.

stephen

You wouldnt be surprised to see Finch back? I would. Id also be pretty annoyed if we went back the S Marsh route given his age, its also why ive accepted Siddle shouldnt play for the Australian Test team again.

Im actually getting ready for Pucovski at 6 tbh. Wade can bat 5 to mix up the RH-LH a bit.
The hierarchy love Finch and he solves the captaincy problem when Paine retires, gets injured or is dropped. A couple of middle order hundreds and he's close to the top of the list.

As for S Marsh, I don't want to see him in the rest side but I don't think he's too far away from it.

the big bambino

International Captain
Rewarding the guys who make runs in early season shield games purely on that basis is bad rationale. Consistent runs over multiple seasons is what I'd like to see.
Then no one's available because no one has really done that over multiple seasons.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think from memory Harris Burns and Head have produced 40 average seasons in the Shield recently. I did some research on this before last season finished.

the big bambino

International Captain
All have to be considered but I think Harris atleast, has ruled himself out due to being exposed by Broad. He has some Handscomb like issues with technique. Anyway my side in pencil with a rubber* nearby is Warner Burns Labuschagne Smith Wade Pucovski Paine Starc Cummins Lyon Haze.

For openers Maddinson is pressing. I wish him the best. Bancroft Harris Renshaw Khawaja bringing up the rear.

Middle order. (Sigh) S Marsh has to be considered. He could be an option as opener. Also Khawaja has a second raffle ticket for the middle order if you play Marnus at 5 and Wade at six. (Wade's 2 recent away tons banks his spot imo).

Bowling is straight forward. I have to agree with a friend who doesn't rate Pattinson because he believes he's not a thinking bowler. I rate him much higher and respect his courage to not only recover from injury but take the risky option in doing so. But he is an intimidator and since his injuries have taken an edge off his pace (or so it seems) needs something in the way of skills to compensate. I also just like Starc. I like his speed and variety. So he gets in over Pattinson and Jhye.

*no smutty jokes plz.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Picking S Marsh again would be ridiculous. Though I guess the young fella needs another go

If pucovski scores a few more runs in shield I'd look to put him in at 6 though

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
All have to be considered but I think Harris atleast, has ruled himself out due to being exposed by Broad. He has some Handscomb like issues with technique. Anyway my side in pencil with a rubber* nearby is Warner Burns Labuschagne Smith Wade Pucovski Paine Starc Cummins Lyon Haze.

For openers Maddinson is pressing. I wish him the best. Bancroft Harris Renshaw Khawaja bringing up the rear.

Middle order. (Sigh) S Marsh has to be considered. He could be an option as opener. Also Khawaja has a second raffle ticket for the middle order if you play Marnus at 5 and Wade at six. (Wade's 2 recent away tons banks his spot imo).

Bowling is straight forward. I have to agree with a friend who doesn't rate Pattinson because he believes he's not a thinking bowler. I rate him much higher and respect his courage to not only recover from injury but take the risky option in doing so. But he is an intimidator and since his injuries have taken an edge off his pace (or so it seems) needs something in the way of skills to compensate. I also just like Starc. I like his speed and variety. So he gets in over Pattinson and Jhye.

*no smutty jokes plz.
So many class bowlers but just a bunch of technically flawed batsmen or old has beens

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Picking S Marsh again would be ridiculous. Though I guess the young fella needs another go

If pucovski scores a few more runs in shield I'd look to put him in at 6 though
Biggest point in Pucovski's favour is that no other youngsters are doing much good and it's looking like most of the rest of the batting line-up will be blokes in their 30s, and the selectors might want to throw him in there just to "balance it out"

Gnske

you're better than this, a subtler touch would be more effective
This is a flat out lie.

You'll never provide the evidence for him just being bad because it doesn't exist and it never will. You're a cricketing flat earther TJB.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a flat out lie.

You'll never provide the evidence for him just being bad because it doesn't exist and it never will. You're a cricketing flat earther TJB.
lol you actually believe the earth is round? explains a lot, sheep