• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Well honestly I think at the Gabba for instance the spinner would be Marnus and wed go 4 quicks.

If it was an actual turner, I think Agar would come into contention. Im not suggesting he is doing anything that spectacular, just lack of other options.
Considering the improvement in Labuschagne's bowling combined with the lively pitches have effectively made Swepson redundant for QLD, that could almost work.

Agar a decent call, have more faith in him than Holland at least

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maddinson
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Pukovski
S.Marsh
Paine +
Cummins
Starc/Richardson/Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

Rationale: leading into the Shield games, every batsman knew that spots were up for grabs both opening and in the middle order. The guys I have picked have made runs, simple. Maddinson has opened and made runs. Reward him. Pukovski has made runs, reward him. S.Marsh is leading the runs table, reward him. I know S.Marsh's selection will raise eyebrows, but he's made 300 runs in two games, and IMO is far better than Head or Wade. If younger guys want to play ahead of S.Marsh, score more Shield runs than him, FFS.

Warner stays in on credits earned at this stage, and I don't think that's disputable for another 2 or 3 tests. If you asked the opposition who they'd least like in the team out of Warner and Harris, it'd be Warner, every time.

Bowlers pretty much pick themselves, Cummins, Haze, Lyon, plus one of the other quicks.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing anyone could say could possibly convince you on this matter, no point arguing with someone who perpetually has their head stuck in the sand on such a wide and varied array of cricketing subjects. Nobody else wants to read this ****e, just have a spell champ
You've now made 3 posts in reply without once even beginning to attempt to formulate a proper response, but more than happy to make multiple personal attacks. You really couldn't make it any more obvious that even you don't believe what you're saying.

Not to get involved in above, but Head, Khawaja, Bancroft and Renshaw have done nothing in the shield to deserve consideration for the 1st test.
Throw Harris in there as well. Him and Bancroft have done their dash for a while. Renshaw shouldn't even be close to the conversation.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rubbish. I haven't claimed that Handscomb was a Test class batsman for a long time. The arguments we had were specifically about his technique being the problem, which I still maintain is not the issue he had. He simply wasn't good enough, it wasn't his technique that was the issue. Ftr I think Handscomb is lucky to be in the Victorian side atm
This is a very Peter Handscomb thing to say.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Throw Harris in there as well. Him and Bancroft have done their dash for a while. Renshaw shouldn't even be close to the conversation.
Well Harris has scored a shield ton.

I think McDonald should be the Aussie coach, or at least be the batting coach. He keeps bringing out the best in Harris at shield level, Finch makes runs in the middle order under him and Maddinson has reached a new level since moving.

Maybe Maxwell disproves that theory though lol

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
You've now made 3 posts in reply without once even beginning to attempt to formulate a proper response, but more than happy to make multiple personal attacks. You really couldn't make it any more obvious that even you don't believe what you're saying.

Why do you so desperately want to argue with me about this? I don't understand. Find someone else to annoy champ

On Harris, in any other era it would be justified to put a line through his name but we have so few opening batsman of any substance that he may be worth another shot if things continue to fail up top. Bancroft and Renshaw the only names among those listed earlier who unequivocally shouldn't be in consideration

TheJediBrah

Why do you so desperately want to argue with me about this? I don't understand. Find someone else to annoy champ
Why would I want to argue? There's clearly no argument to be had which you've made obvious with your repeated refusal to offer even the most minute of points in favour of your suggested selection.

Either defend your selection that you openly made in your post or accept that it's a crap one. Heck even if you had just said "I think Travis Head should play because I like his hairstyle" would be better than repeated personal attacks and juvenile "champ-ing"

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I feel like Marsh has been rewarded enough with the captaincy from his brother, no need to take his 6 spot too.

I seriously dont like putting the name Wade in my XI but unless somehow making runs in England dont matter, he will be there.

I dislike all our opening options right now.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Bancroft and Renshaw the only names among those listed earlier who unequivocally shouldn't be in consideration
And anyone named Marsh I hope...

But Head and Khawaja should also have lines drawn if they fail the next 2 shield games before 1st Test. Like Red Hill said, if you want to be picked then score runs (Hohns also said they are starting with a clean slate)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would I want to argue? There's clearly no argument to be had which you've made obvious with your repeated refusal to offer even the most minute of points in favour of your suggested selection.

Either defend your selection that you openly made in your post or accept that it's a crap one. Heck even if you had just said "I think Travis Head should play because I like his hairstyle" would be better than repeated personal attacks and juvenile "champ-ing"
I don't have to justify myself to you when I have already made dozens of posts on the subject of Travis Head over probably just the last month alone. Try actually doing some reading.

TheJediBrah

I don't have to justify myself to you when I have already made dozens of posts on the subject of Travis Head over probably just the last month alone. Try actually doing some reading.
No but if you make a dubious call in a post on an internet forum you should expect that someone will question it, and responding the way you have is very immature and counter-productive.

And don't expect me to remember **** that you've said "over the last month", I can barely remember what I had for breakfast.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Khawaja is a bit of an odd case as three out of his four Shield dismissals so far have been of questionable decisions. His mental strength and focus does still concern me though, while all the pillow jokes can get tedious there is definitely a fair bit of truth in it.

Generally not a fan of this whole "the early Shield is rounds are a bat off for Test places" narrative the cricketing media in this country like to push, think you need to consider a batsmans body of work over a longer time period

TheJediBrah

Khawaja is a bit of an odd case as three out of his four Shield dismissals so far have been of questionable decisions. His mental strength and focus does still concern me though, while all the pillow jokes can get tedious there is definitely a fair bit of truth in it.

Generally not a fan of this whole "the early Shield is rounds are a bat off for Test places" narrative the cricketing media in this country like to push, think you need to consider a batsmans body of work over a longer time period
I'm talking over like 12-18 months, not just 4 FC games
It should be a combination of both, which I'm pretty sure is exactly what it is and how the selectors will be treating it. No one's going to ignore a player's whole career but if you think someone like Khawaja or Head will get the nod because they were good a few years ago, despite being out of touch and struggling against state bowlers then you're going to be disappointed

aussie tragic

International Captain
Can we just agree that GAS wants Head in the team and JedibBrah doesn't and move on...

In other news, Maddinson and Pucovski can really knock the door down in next 2 shield rounds....as can Warner do the opposite by failing in upcoming T20's

Spikey

Maddinson
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Pukovski
S.Marsh
Paine +
Cummins
Starc/Richardson/Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

Rationale: leading into the Shield games, every batsman knew that spots were up for grabs both opening and in the middle order. The guys I have picked have made runs, simple. Maddinson has opened and made runs. Reward him. Pukovski has made runs, reward him. S.Marsh is leading the runs table, reward him. I know S.Marsh's selection will raise eyebrows, but he's made 300 runs in two games, and IMO is far better than Head or Wade. If younger guys want to play ahead of S.Marsh, score more Shield runs than him, FFS.
but the rationale is bad