• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nice performance by the Saints this afternoon. I still don't think they are premiership material, but they totally outclassed the Hawks, who once again look a long way from worthy of a top 8 spot.

Huge effort from Fraser Gehrig. 19 possessions, 14 marks and 6 goals as I write this, still a few minutes out from full time. Set up a bunch to go with 6 of his own. Riewoldt had a good game as well, for once.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Nice performance by the Saints this afternoon. I still don't think they are premiership material, but they totally outclassed the Hawks, who once again look a long way from worthy of a top 8 spot.

Huge effort from Fraser Gehrig. 19 possessions, 14 marks and 6 goals as I write this, still a few minutes out from full time. Set up a bunch to go with 6 of his own. Riewoldt had a good game as well, for once.
And of the 6 points he scored, you'd think he should've kicked atleast 4, so 10 goals was a real possibilty.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah I feel like a jackass for putting them in my top 8 prediction now, but after wins against Melb & Freo away it seemed a possibility.

Eclipse

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:

I think they are a threat, with the massive amount of injurys they have had this year i wouldn't write them off if they get there full list together. Riewoldt still has a lot of improvment and hasn't even come close to top form as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Brisbane win comfortably against Carlton and Port manage to fight off the Doggies to get their first set of back-to-back wins this season.

Jonathan Brown had a feast against Carlton, whilst the Dogs/Power game was quite entertaining. Chad and Kane Cornes played brilliantly for Port, whilst Scotty West had a night out getting 36 possessions for the Doggies, almost getting them over the line.

Boy, no matter how many times the Doggies lose this season, their list is absolutely amazing with the amount of young talent mixed with experience on that. You've got West, Johnson, Smith along with Grant and Darcy who are both out injured. Then you've got absolute young guns like Cooney, Cross, Murphy and Gilbee who will be even better when they get more games under their belts. If they miss out on the finals this year, I reckon they'll taste September action next year.

Talking about the Doggies, what the hell is going on with Brad Johnson. Ever since I've got him in my Dream Team side he's been doing absolutely appalling. He had a great week 2 weeks ago, but other than that he scored nothing last week and has done even worse this week. Damn :mad:

But at least Mark Johnson ripped it again this week with another 100+. What a buy he was :cool:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Big game coming up today between Adelaide and Geelong. Both teams are 7 and 4 and sitting inside the top four, and a win for either side will seperate them from the pack of teams with that record.

Adelaide in particular have a lot to gain from winning. Before the break, they have two games in Melbourne against quality sides, firstly against Geelong and then next week against Richmond. After the break, they play 6 of their last 9 in Adelaide, and their road games are not as challenging as these. If they can win one or both of these games, a top four spot seems almost guaranteed, given that 13 or 14 wins should do it in a year like this.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Really bizarre game today at Skilled Stadium.

Geelong kicked all of their 9 goals for the match in the space of about 15 minutes. They kicked 5 in 10 minutes to close out the first term, and 4 in time-on in the third. Aside from that, they were goalless, including just three behinds combined across the second and final terms. Yet, they still managed to win.

Matthew Scarlett played an absolute blinder from full back, and was BoG by a mile. 14 marks and 30 disposals. Chapman and Ling respectively were the catalysts for the two Geelong goal sprees, and both had good games.

For Adelaide, Thompson was fantastic with 34 possessions, 9 marks and 3 goals, and Goodwin was good through the middle as well, while Bassett and Bock were great across half-back. The difference between the sides in the end was that when Adelaide has periods of dominance, which they did far more often, they couldn't convert it into goals. Welsh had just one kick for the whole match, and it was a shot on goal in the final term that could have won the game, but he missed. Perrie and McGregor were decent but couldn't convert their touches into goals often enough, while players like Playfair and Riccardi for Geelong managed to score goals from limited opportunites, both being quiet for most of the game but kicking back-to-back goals at crucial stages.

Adelaide were better in most aspects of the game and could probably take a lot of positives from the match, but it's one they definately should have won, going into the last term with the wind just 10 points down and keeping Geelong goalless.

Mostly though, it was a very entertaining defensive contest, with high skill from defensive players more than flooding and negative tactics keeping the scoring down.

Geelong go to 8 and 4 and go a game clear in third, while Adelaide drop to 7 and 5 but stay in the top four on percentage ahead of Richmond and Sydney.

archie mac

International Coach
Go the Kangas :)

I see that the TV stations are pushing for 3 games sats and 3 games sun.

1st at 13.00
2nd at 16.00
3rd at 19.00

I wonder if we will have regular Monday night footy?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
God Damn you Richmond. God damn you. 10 goals 20 behinds. Disgraceful.

Still yet to ever witness a Richmond win at the Dome when I've gone there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Matthew Scarlett played an absolute blinder from full back, and was BoG by a mile. 14 marks and 30 disposals.
Lol that's amazing. A full back gets 30 possessions. About time Scarlett hit some form.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Lol that's amazing. A full back gets 30 possessions. About time Scarlett hit some form.
It was that sort of game, very defensive oriented. Adeladie were trying to break the flood by playing Pagan's Paddock with Jericho or Welsh in the goalsquare and Perrie and McGregor outside the 50, so Scarlett got a lot of chances to run with the ball.

I was looking forward to comparing Rutten and Scarlett today actually, since Rutten's rise has been pretty similar to Scarlett's a couple of years ago from nowhere to being the best full-back in the league, and based on today Scarlett is still definately the best, however good Rutten is. Scarlett is all class.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
Scarlett actually got 28 posessions according to the abc.
It was 30 in about every other bit of media covering the game. For a Full Back, that's one hell of a game. The ridiculous thing is that he kept Welsh touchless while he was on him, and he moved onto McGregor and did much the same towelling-up there too. Goes to show how much easier a defender's job is when the midfield take on a more neutral mindset - as opposed to all out attack like Geelong have been for much of the year to look for these big scores, and back up our mediocre forward line.

Henry Playfair is going to be a big loss. He's the worst - integral part of the side - player in the competition, if you get what I mean. Sanderson was fantastic, good to see Egan get a game and do reasonably well, should have been playing ahead of Lonergan for the past few weeks. Geelong needs a good run with injuries come September to have a say in anything - not so much in the midfield, but down either end of the ground, all personnel need to be on board.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jono said:
God Damn you Richmond. God damn you. 10 goals 20 behinds. Disgraceful.

Still yet to ever witness a Richmond win at the Dome when I've gone there.
Can you remind me how many Top 8 sides Richmond have defeated so far? :p

cameeel

International Captain
Awesome Demons win yesterday, sluggish first half but absolutely belted collingwood in the 3rd and 4th quarters, any cwood supporters around?

Status
Not open for further replies.