• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameeel

International Captain
ash chaulk said:
Aaron Edwards looks like a class player for the eagles..... i think west coast going to have a brisbane type dominance in a couple of years
Hopefully not, it must be time for a victorian non carlton\essendon team to dominate?
Maybe geelong, or melbourne, or *shudder* richmond

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Wow. What a powerhouse third term by the Crows, up by 55 points closing in on 3/4 time. McGregor is having an awesome game playing forward, he's the leading possession winner on the ground with 21, has 11 marks and 3 goals, and the Crows have broken triple figures already while the Bombers are goalless for the term. So much for having no forward line!

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Sydney should skip this foolishness, and put Ericksen straight into the guts. That kid is a gun.

But anyway, I don't think West Coast will have a Brisbane-esque dominance. The Saints, Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne... all on the way up. Adelaide aren't too bad either. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
NOOOOOOOO! 2 points! 2 damn points. :cry: The Tigers played brilliantly today. West Coast got the jump on us, but we never gave up the fight. Even without our star Nathan Brown, we managed to fight back on many occasions. Richo played excellently and the amount of free kicks he was robbed off is ridiculous. Cosuins and Judd were absolute champions for West Coast, but Tuck and Coughlan matched them.

What a frickin' game that was. One of the best, if not the best for the season. Tivendale played excellently for the Tigers, and Kellaway in defence was superb. The courage he had going back for marks, not to mention his awesome tackling. Oh we were so close, and I thought we might of had it when Richo put us up by a goal. But that little runt Phil Matera down forward was too good for us. 5 goals. I swear, our weakness is small forwards. Our backline can't stay with them. Last week it was Yze, this week Matera.

Oh well I'm proud of the boys today. The amount of people, including Richmond supporters that have ridden us off after Brown's injury is amazing. We didn't get the 4 points this week, but the team showed they've still got plenty of fight left. A 2 point loss to West Coast without your best player is no shame at all. We've got a real good chance against the Kangas next week to get back into the top 4.
ash chaulk said:
Aaron Edwards looks like a class player for the eagles..... i think west coast going to have a brisbane type dominance in a couple of years
Not with that forward line. Hansen went off, Gardiner was out injured... and suddenly you had no great targets up forward. Stunning midfield, very solid backline, but when you take out Gardiner from that forward structure it isn't as potent as many believe it is.

West Coast are the best team in the competition, no doubt. But I don't think they're anywhere close to being as good as Brisbane were 2001-04 in terms of overall brilliance all over the ground.

King_Ponting

International Regular
have to agree with you there jono. Also i dont believe that West coast have the midfeild that would be equal to the fab 4 that brisbane had, and still have although in no where near the form they were in for the last 3 years.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Adelaide were just fantastic tonight. Essendon were awful as well, but the way Adelaide dominated through the midfield was just awesome, and the forward line really clicked for the first time too. Ricciuto, Goodwin, Thompson and Burton got a heap of the ball through the middle, Rutten and Bock beat Lloyd and Lucas, Bassett, Hart and McLeod ran the ball out of half-back constantly, and Perrie and McGregor had 20 marks between them, and in a forward trio with Jericho kicked 11 goals. McGregor was easily BoG with 24 possessions, 12 marks and 4 goals at centre half-forward.

Only Hille and McPhee played particularly well for Essendon, with Hird having a decent game as well. I wonder how much longer Sheedy is going to hang on to that job, because they were completely rubbish tonight, and even though it's not fault he must be losing some of his motivation to keep coaching.

Adelaide are still averaging less than 75 points a game for the year, easily the best in the comp, and they got a big percentage boost tonight to go to second on the ladder at 7 and 3, pending the result in Melbourne's match. Essendon drop to 4 and 7 and the top 8 looks a long way off now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
King_Ponting said:
have to agree with you there jono. Also i dont believe that West coast have the midfeild that would be equal to the fab 4 that brisbane had, and still have although in no where near the form they were in for the last 3 years.
Oh yeah definitely. The fab 4 in their prime do beat Cousins, Judd, Fletcher and Kerr (4 best Eagle midfielders, I know they have more good players). Especially when it comes to the rebound. When the Eagles have the ball, they're absolutely brilliant. But when they need to get it off the opposition who are rebounding, they're vulnerable. Brisbane were superb at both. Mind you Cousins and Fletcher have been absolutely amazing, and Judd and Kerr are slowly getting back into form so they're still extremely awesome, cannot take anything away from the Eagles. Just that you can't compare them to one of the best midfields the game has ever seen.

There are just so many holes in this WC team when comparing it to Brisbane. Like I said, I'm not saying they are rubbish. Far from that, they are the best right now. But there's no way in hell I see them dominating like Brisbane did from 2001-04 or even Essendon from 1999-2001.

Brisbane were superb all over the ground. Forwards consisted of Lynch, Bradshaw and Brown with Power and Hart crumming. In the centre you had the fab 4, Aker, Voss, Black and Lappin, and then down back you had the security of Michael, Leppitsch and Johnson. That's brilliance from one side of the ground to the other and I've left out many top players.

I think where West Coast probably have the advantage is Dean Cox, who is better than Clark Keating, and has the potential to just be absolutely devastating for many years to come. Great player.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Adelaide were just fantastic tonight. Essendon were awful as well, but the way Adelaide dominated through the midfield was just awesome, and the forward line really clicked for the first time too. Ricciuto, Goodwin, Thompson and Burton got a heap of the ball through the middle, Rutten and Bock beat Lloyd and Lucas, Bassett, Hart and McLeod ran the ball out of half-back constantly, and Perrie and McGregor had 20 marks between them, and in a forward trio with Jericho kicked 11 goals. McGregor was easily BoG with 24 possessions, 12 marks and 4 goals at centre half-forward.

Only Hille and McPhee played particularly well for Essendon, with Hird having a decent game as well. I wonder how much longer Sheedy is going to hang on to that job, because they were completely rubbish tonight, and even though it's not fault he must be losing some of his motivation to keep coaching.

Adelaide are still averaging less than 75 points a game for the year, easily the best in the comp, and they got a big percentage boost tonight to go to second on the ladder at 7 and 3, pending the result in Melbourne's match. Essendon drop to 4 and 7 and the top 8 looks a long way off now.
Adelaide were simply amazing tonight. Just amazing. Not only was their backline and midfield superb as usual, but even without Scott Welsh (who is their key forward really), they were brilliant up forward. I really really like the look of Jericho. I can see him being a great small forward who could probably move on the ball at times considering he's supposedly the fastest player in the league (well he was a track athlete wasn't he?).

Goodwin, McLeod (starting to find form), Ricciuto, Burton, Edwards... Very scary. If Adelaide can pick up a few more wins on the road, wow top 4... maybe top 2 is a real possibility.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Jono said:
I think where West Coast probably have the advantage is Dean Cox, who is better than Clark Keating, and has the potential to just be absolutely devastating for many years to come. Great player.
Charman, brisbanes main ruckman during their prime years, IMO is a better ruckman than Dean Cox. In addition to your statement which is apsolutely correct, the addition of Luke Power to Brisbanes midfield during their years of prime also makes West Coasts midfield look slightly better than mediocre when compared to the Lions. Although that takes nothing away from WC's performances to date, although they were lucky to escape today with that win, costly miss be richo in the 3rd quarter........

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Adelaide were simply amazing tonight. Just amazing. Not only was their backline and midfield superb as usual, but even without Scott Welsh (who is their key forward really), they were brilliant up forward. I really really like the look of Jericho. I can see him being a great small forward who could probably move on the ball at times considering he's supposedly the fastest player in the league (well he was a track athlete wasn't he?).

Goodwin, McLeod (starting to find form), Ricciuto, Burton, Edwards... Very scary. If Adelaide can pick up a few more wins on the road, wow top 4... maybe top 2 is a real possibility.
Yeah, Jericho played a few games last year and impressed quite a lot. He does struggle, for lack of a better term, for a role to play, because he's really at his best leading out of the goalsquare and he doesn't get the chance to do that much in the Adelaide side when Welsh is around. Today he was really good though, not only with the 4 goals but leading up the ground at times. He's actually quite strong overhead I think... he played a game in the SANFL a few weeks ago where he took a dozen marks, had 30 touches and kicked 5 or 6 goals, which is why he got back into the side.

And yes, he's apparently extremely quick. I gather Brett Burton is quite amazing in terms of endurance and leaves all the other Adelaide players for dead (and you can really see it on the field, he seems to run everyone else ragged playing on the wing), but Jericho was running close to Olympic qualifying times in pre-season camp sprints and so on.

cameeel

International Captain
Final Score from AAMI Stadium

Adelaide: 24.7 - 151
Defeated
Essendon: 9.9 - 63

Goals AC: McGregor 4, Jericho 4, Goodwin 4, Thompson 3, Perrie 3, Burton 2, Hudson 2, Edwards, Biglands

Goals EB: Lloyd 2, McPhee 2, Hille 2, Cupido, Winderlich, Lovett-Murray

BoG was Ken McGregor of Adelaide

cameeel

International Captain
Final Score from Subiaco Oval

Brisbane: 15.16 - 106
Defeated
Fremantle: 10.7 - 67

Goals BL: McGrath 3, Bradshaw 3, Power 2, Drummond 2, Macdonald 2, Corrie, Keating, Akermanis

Goals FD: Murphy 3, Farmer 2, Longmuir 2, Haselby, Bell, Medhurst

Thats the first time the lions have won in perth since 2001

cameeel

International Captain
Final Score from Manuka Oval

Melbourne: 17.14 - 116
Defeated
Kangaroos: 11.14 - 80

Goals MD: Robertson 6, Bruce 4, Green 3, Brown, Davey, White, Yze

Goals NM: Grant 2, Thompson 2, Hale, Harding, Harvey, Jones, Rawlings, Rocca, Sinclair

BoG was Cameron Bruce of Melbourne

Go Dees :D

cameeel

International Captain
Final Score from Aurora Stadium

Pt. Adelaide: 16.8 - 104
Defeated
St. Kilda: 11.15 - 81

Goals PA: Tredrea 3, Primus 3, Kingsley 2, Ebert 2, Brogan, Cassisi, Dew, Lade, Montgomery, Wanganeen

Goals StK: Gehrig 3, Riewoldt 2, Milne 2, Ball, Harvey, McQualter, Voss

BoG was Adam Kingsley of Port Adelaide

cameeel

International Captain
Final Score from the Telstra Dome

Bulldogs: 17.9 - 111
Defeated
Hawthorn: 13.11 - 89

Goals WB: Robbins 4, Giansiracusa 3, Cooney 2, Hargrave 2, Murphy 2, Smith 2, Griffen, Eagleton

Goals HH: Williams 6, Smith, Vandenberg, Ladson, Holland, Everitt, Clarke

BoG was Scott West of the Western Bulldogs

cameeel

International Captain
AFL Ladder at the Halfway Mark of the 2005 Season

West Coast
Melbourne
Adelaide
Geelong
Richmond
Sydney
Kangaroos
St. Kilda
Fremantle
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Brisbane
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
Carlton

ash chaulk

International Captain
after watching aaron edwards play for swan districts i know he can kick bags of goals... he is a player that gives his all... to be honest a better option at full forward than lynch. maybe not at the moment though.

eagles midfield IMO is better than lions in their prime because we have more options and a awesome ruckman.

cousins judd fletcher kerr embley stenglien braun butler sampi chick waters adkins jones selwood wooden.

and well to state a fact west coast were the only team to win most of the time in brisbane during their prime years...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I had a shocker when it came to tipping as well, 2 out of 8. :(

My Dream Team didn't do too well either, 1775. However I was 3rd on the ladder at the time (well equal 1st) playing one of my mates who is 2nd on the ladder, and despite having a bad week I still managed to win. So I've jumped to 2nd :D

Still a bit worried about Brad Johnson starting to become quite inconsistent. Absolutely ripped it last week in a loss, and this week the Doggies win and he only gets 40-45 points. Weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.