• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2024–25 Australian Domestic Season

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Well thankfully the inevitable has been accepted. I hope he'll continue with the commentary work and maybe do some coaching, but more importantly I hope he can live a normal life into old age. Such a tremendous loss to Australian cricket though, our most promising opening talent in many years.

The Fox Sports article had this interesting passage:

Sounds like a more sympathetic version of a diagnosis from the nineteen-twenties.
This is sad but health comes first, atleast he got to play the game at a high level.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
amazing how circa 7 hours after this broke, cricinfo still doesn't have a single mention of this on its site.
there hasn't been any statements yet. cricinfo won't touch it until it's actually confirmed/given to them ahead of the announcement, same with cricket.com.au.

Burgey

Unfortunately for TjB, the solution I've seen thrown around the most is making head open and pushing green to 5.

Moving the best young bat in the country from a spot he could stay in for 10 years just after he's figured it out, and making an out of form head open the batting just to accommodate a declining, 34 yo Smith feels like a massive move in the wrong direction in the long run. Head has made runs opening before in tests, so maybe it's the best solution? IDK. The whole point of Smith opening was him having a harder ball and tighter field so he could start a bit quicker and not have those ugly 45(110) type innings that end in an ugly shot. Moving him back to 4 doesn't seem like it's going to suddenly fix the issues that made him move to open in the first place.
It'a kind of a moot point unles an opener or two puts their hand up with some decent runs to start the Shield season. But if they did, I would be tempted to move Smith to three, Green at four, Marnus five and Head at six.

Tbf MMarsh doesn't deserve dropping from the start of the summer, though I expect him to regress to mean this series. I mean, if he doesn't it will go down as one of the more impressive late career turnarounds in Aus cricket history. I know Usman has reinvented himself as an opener, but he was always capable of top order runs at least. There were times in his career where Marsh has looked like he didn't know which end of the bat to hold.

The other option is they got all Roberty Downey Jnr in Tropic Thunder and MMarsh opens. But everyone knows you should never go full Robert Downey Jnr in Tropic Thunder.

TheJediBrah

"No 'firm decisions' made on Smith as opener": McDonald

Pity he then goes on to say selectors are committed to the current top 6 though so it's only about which one opens. Should be Labuschagne with Smith at 3 if that's the case

It's not a pity. Bancroft sucks, get over it.

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man
"No 'firm decisions' made on Smith as opener": McDonald

Pity he then goes on to say selectors are committed to the current top 6 though so it's only about which one opens. Should be Labuschagne with Smith at 3 if that's the case

as an indian fan i want smith opening Rather at number 4 as it is our best chance to get him Early

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm more hoping that Maddinson nails the first 2 NSW Shield games and Aus-A game (as does Davies to put some real pressure on the 'undroppable' top 6)
I do rate him, but Davies has played all of 9 first class games in his career. Definitely needs another domestic season before being considered for higher honours imo. If he sustains something at or at least close to the level he has started at however this season, then absolutely he should be in the conversation, but at this stage it is still a little too early I reckon

Kraken

State Captain
I do rate him, but Davies has played all of 9 first class games in his career. Definitely needs another domestic season before being considered for higher honours imo. If he sustains something at or at least close to the level he has started at however this season, then absolutely he should be in the conversation, but at this stage it is still a little too early I reckon
100% it's too early

TheJediBrah

If McSweeney peels off a couple hundreds in the first few games and looks the part I'd have him in line

Qlder

International Debutant
Season kicks off on Sunday with NSW vs WA in the one-day Cup. Both sides will be without 6 players playing ODIs in England (and Cummins probably won't play either?)

Jhye Richardson played 3 T20's for Scorchers in Darwin in August so hopefully he's back in action (he's played notthing but T20's since December last year)

chris.hinton

International Captain
Season kicks off on Sunday with NSW vs WA in the one-day Cup. Both sides will be without 6 players playing ODIs in England (and Cummins probably won't play either?)

Jhye Richardson played 3 T20's for Scorchers in Darwin in August so hopefully he's back in action (he's played notthing but T20's since December last year)
Another year where the Aussies and England seasons overlap. Never used to be back in the day