• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2024–25 Australian Domestic Season

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well thankfully the inevitable has been accepted. I hope he'll continue with the commentary work and maybe do some coaching, but more importantly I hope he can live a normal life into old age. Such a tremendous loss to Australian cricket though, our most promising opening talent in many years.

The Fox Sports article had this interesting passage:
A previous medical panel in 2022 found some of Pucovski’s head injuries were “not true concussions”, and more likely related to stress or trauma responses.
Sounds like a more sympathetic version of a diagnosis from the nineteen-twenties.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best for everyone involved. But fr why do all our promising young batsmen have serious issues ffs. Pucovski. Green. Travis Head's face.

flibbertyjibber

Thank goodness, really sad for him but it is the correct decision. Hopefully he can remain in the game in some capacity however that may be.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Very unfortunate for Pucovski but hopefully kid can figure out something he loves to do with his life going forward that wont put his life and sanity in danger.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lot of articles over the past couple of weeks about how Smith needs to go back to 4, and by now I'm pretty much in full agreement. So how do we reshuffle the batting?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Lot of articles over the past couple of weeks about how Smith needs to go back to 4, and by now I'm pretty much in full agreement. So how do we reshuffle the batting?
As long as it involves dropping Head it will work
Unfortunately for TjB, the solution I've seen thrown around the most is making head open and pushing green to 5.

Moving the best young bat in the country from a spot he could stay in for 10 years just after he's figured it out, and making an out of form head open the batting just to accommodate a declining, 34 yo Smith feels like a massive move in the wrong direction in the long run. Head has made runs opening before in tests, so maybe it's the best solution? IDK. The whole point of Smith opening was him having a harder ball and tighter field so he could start a bit quicker and not have those ugly 45(110) type innings that end in an ugly shot. Moving him back to 4 doesn't seem like it's going to suddenly fix the issues that made him move to open in the first place.

Kraken

State Captain
Watched a bit of that Top End T20 comp, have to say to say I really quite enjoyed it. Although seeing the "Strikers Academy" team (only Lloyd Pope and Liam Scott from the team in the final have played any BBL for the Strikers, and in the latter case only about half a dozen games IIRC) go well definitely helped

Some real good performamces from the team, with the bat Jake Winter was strong, his ton in the semi final especially was excellent. Harry Manenti also very good with the willow, consistent runs at a good clip. Bowling wise the team were excellent, especially pleased to see Tim Oakley back and taking plenty of poles after a couple of years in Tasmania. Pope and Buckingham also were really good at times, although in all honesty it was really an outstanding team effort more than the work of any one individual. Scott did a genuinely good job as captain imo in addition to his good contributions with bat and ball, strategically more often than not he was really on it

Absolutely loved seeing a young and about two thirds homegrown South Australian team go well, probably the most cricket I have watched in a few months and it was absolutely well worth it
Pretty sure I've said it in here before, but Harry definitely has the potential to be better than Ben imo.
He and Liam Scott played in the same rep side here in Sydney

TheJediBrah

Unfortunately for TjB, the solution I've seen thrown around the most is making head open and pushing green to 5.

Moving the best young bat in the country from a spot he could stay in for 10 years just after he's figured it out, and making an out of form head open the batting just to accommodate a declining, 34 yo Smith feels like a massive move in the wrong direction in the long run. Head has made runs opening before in tests, so maybe it's the best solution? IDK. The whole point of Smith opening was him having a harder ball and tighter field so he could start a bit quicker and not have those ugly 45(110) type innings that end in an ugly shot. Moving him back to 4 doesn't seem like it's going to suddenly fix the issues that made him move to open in the first place.
The obvious answer is just leave Smith opening. There's nothing wrong with it. He's done fine coming in against the new ball in the past and any decline he's suffering will be just as pronounced at 4 as it will up the top.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The obvious answer is just leave Smith opening. There's nothing wrong with it. He's done fine coming in against the new ball in the past and any decline he's suffering will be just as pronounced at 4 as it will up the top.
100% agree.