• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think it would be better to say Pontings a poor players of harbhajan and kumble in Indian conditions..

however even then i'm sure he would do much better if he gets another chance there..

Langeveldt

Soutie
How can Andy Flower be over rated and not Tatenda Taibu? One of the most over rated cricketers ever, okay he's a solid captain and a top bloke, but he wouldn't get into any other team in world cricket except Bangladesh, and I've seen him in peoples World XI's..

As they say here, go figure..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IMO Taibu would get in any side if they picked a keeper on keeping ability alone, not to mention his batting isn't that bad.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
I think Vettori is a bit overrated. My example of this is that he got selected over both Harbajan and Kumble for the world XI. Maybe this would be justified if he had had great sucess over the aussies but unfortuntely Kumble and Harbajan are the ultimate aussie smashers- Harbajan and his hat-trick and Kumble's 10 in an innings.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hazza said:
I think Vettori is a bit overrated. My example of this is that he got selected over both Harbajan and Kumble for the world XI. Maybe this would be justified if he had had great sucess over the aussies but unfortuntely Kumble and Harbajan are the ultimate aussie smashers- Harbajan and his hat-trick and Kumble's 10 in an innings.
Harbajan had one good series against us, apart from that he hasn't been that good against us...

Kumble has done okay but mot great

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
Harbajan had one good series against us, apart from that he hasn't been that good against us...

Kumble has done okay but mot great
Both better than Vettori though

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hazza said:
Both better than Vettori though
without looking at stats i would say that's debatable....

overall as bowlers yes but against us i'm not sure.. he has done pretty well Vettori and did do okay during the series.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
without looking at stats i would say that's debatable....

overall as bowlers yes but against us i'm not sure.. he has done pretty well Vettori and did do okay during the series.
I agree that a world class spinner is not required to beat Australia (Ashley Giles didnt do much in the series), but undoubtably Kumble and Murali would make a better pairing than Vettori and Murali, I doubt statistics are required to understand that.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hazza said:
I agree that a world class spinner is not required to beat Australia (Ashley Giles didnt do much in the series), but undoubtably Kumble and Murali would make a better pairing than Vettori and Murali, I doubt statistics are required to understand that.
In test's yes..

but in ODI's we have been able to get after Kumble quite a few times but never really been able to do that to Vettori.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
In test's yes..

but in ODI's we have been able to get after Kumble quite a few times but never really been able to do that to Vettori.
I have noticed that finger-spinners tend to be tighter than wrist-spinners due to their lower trajectory, so i agree with you that maybe Vettori would be more suited to one-dayers, but to why he played in the tests over Kumble I still don't understand.

open365

International Vice-Captain
i wouldn't say Vettori is over rated,IMO,he's the best Orthodox off-spinner in world cricket.

i think people seem to think more of Katich than he's worth,but i only saw him in the ashes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Langeveldt said:
How can Andy Flower be over rated and not Tatenda Taibu? One of the most over rated cricketers ever, okay he's a solid captain and a top bloke, but he wouldn't get into any other team in world cricket except Bangladesh, and I've seen him in peoples World XI's..

As they say here, go figure..
I reckon he'd make India's test side, maybe ODIs but Dhoni's batting plays an important role.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I reckon he'd make India's test side, maybe ODIs but Dhoni's batting plays an important role.
Taibu would get into a few Test teams - India, England, Windies..

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Overtated:

Steve Waugh
Glenn McGrath
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Ricky Ponting
Matthew Hayden
Andy Flower
Adam Gilchrist
Shaun Pollock
Harbajan Singh
Kevin Pietersen
Steve Harmison
Shoaib Aktar

-McGrath and S.Waugh are/were talentless thugs.
-Kallis, Ponting and Hayden are boring, boring cricketers.
-Flower thinks he's some revoulutionary with his reverse sweeps, no substance.
-Tendulkar is just one big media driven star, i still like watching him bat but he's not been the best in the world in his era like we get it drummed into our heads.
-Gilchrist is a very ordinary batter when facing quality bowling on a pitch that is doing just a little, and he's never been under much pressure throughout his career, coming in at 6/400+ almost always.
-Pollock, see McGrath but at least he's not a thug.
-Singh, he may go ok in India but he's a shambles anywhere else.
-Pietersen, another media driven star, he is a good batter but some of the praise is going way over the top.
-Harmison, this bloke is very ordinary, sometimes he struggles to pitch the ball on the wicket let alone on a good line and length.
-Aktar, bowls 4 overs at 150km/h and he's spent for the rest of the match.

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
8 games is not alot, he's only played one game since 2001 and that was on a shocking pitch.
8 games is more than enough to realise that hes been useless in those conditions. and if hes improved, then he needs to prove it, because until then it cant be assumed that he has.

Eclipse said:
No but he's not a flightly spinner either and he gets alot of bounce.. and actually apart from that one series Ponting has owned harbhajan in all other conditions and matches...
yes it is great to know that ponting owned harbhajan in all of one game, and indeed the ball did turn a fair bit at brisbane8-)

Eclipse said:
Also explain how he has such a good record against Murili only being dismised now twice but having scored heavily against him and (according to cricketinfo stat not long ago) being able to score off him at a run rate of 70 runs per 100 balls.
hes had one good series against murali, and as such i wont be convinced that he can play murali on a turner until he does it again.

Eclipse said:
Statisticly Harbhajan and Kumble are the only spinners to have Pontings mesure and he has made alot of runs against Kumble as well as lost his wicket a few times.

Surely if he was a poor player of spin he would get out to spin more often...
yes seeing as how hes only played about 3 quality spin bowlers in his entire career.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
IMO Taibu would get in any side if they picked a keeper on keeping ability alone, not to mention his batting isn't that bad.
i think even players like read would make any side in the world if they were picked solely on batting, but its not something i subscribe to. his batting outside his performances against bangladesh is decidely ordinary, and its only as good as the rest of the players who play for zimbabwe.