• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

tooextracool

International Coach
silentstriker said:
I guess people have their own opinions. I mean, even if I don't agree with it, I can see having Tendulkar outside the top five and maybe you can make an argument about not being the top 10. But to say he wouldn't be in top 25....well I just can't take that person seriously. Thats like arguing that Pathan is a better all rounder than Sobers.
there are billions of quality players that have played cricket in the last century. To say that Tendulkar has to be amongst the top 25 of those despite several others performing far more often is stretching it like an elastic band.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
The problem is that your wife is in a minority. The majority of the world do think that hes God or second best to Bradman. With all due respect hes not even close to either one of them.
And who says he is close to Bradman ? Being Second best doesn't equate to 'CLOSE'.

The topper in my class always scored 99 % (sometime even 100) in maths and Science, the next guy would end up with 65ish %. Was he close to the topper, NO. Was he second Best - YES.

Now I expect you to come up with half baked idiotic theories like you do all the time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
ive never been biased against tendulkar and im merely calling it like i see it. if you think im biased for not having him in my top 25, talk about someone being biased for having him in his top 3 ever.
Him being in top 3(or even top 10) is debatable, He may qualify in some criteria, he may not in others but him not being in top 25 is simply idiotic.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
there are billions of quality players that have played cricket in the last century. To say that Tendulkar has to be amongst the top 25 of those despite several others performing far more often is stretching it like an elastic band.
Billions of Quality players in last Century, Like Graeme Hick and John Crawley ? That's your definition of Quality.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SJS said:
Kallis is phenomenal but I find him boring, cant say exactly why.

He is a robot.
Agreed, but he doesnt posess the talent of Sachin, so he has to rely on being methodical at his game, and not give anything away.. I admire him enormously, but I guess I'd find him boring if he didnt play for my team..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Billions of Quality players in last Century, Like Graeme Hick and John Crawley ? That's your definition of Quality.
Well you could compare their averages in County cricket with that of Tendulkar!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
Him being in top 3(or even top 10) is debatable, He may qualify in some criteria, he may not in others but him not being in top 25 is simply idiotic.

Right. If you don't place him in the top ten - I would disagree with your opinion, but I wouldn't dismiss it outright. But placing him outside the top 25 is ludicrous.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
Agreed, but he doesnt posess the talent of Sachin, so he has to rely on being methodical at his game, and not give anything away.. I admire him enormously, but I guess I'd find him boring if he didnt play for my team..

Oddly enough, Dravid also scores at the same S/R Kallis does, and yet I've never heard of him being accused as selfish. The difference is, that he does tend to up his S/R when the team needs, and I'm not sure if Kallis does (Not saying he doesn't, but I don't follow SA cricket as much so I truly don't know. Maybe thats where the selfish thing comes in?)

Personally, the few times I've seen him, I've always thought of him as a phenomenal cricketer.....one that would pretty much make any side without breaking a sweat.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think another thing that might cast that "selfish" aspertion (sp) on Kallis is that, as his team's best player, he's never taken on the captaincy. I think that there is a connotation there (most likely a wrong one) that by not taking on that responsibility, he's inward as such. Not the whole reason, but maybe a contributing factor?

adharcric

International Coach
Perhaps the fact that Dravid has stood up like a wall amongst a lineup of strokemakers and saved the team so often makes it ludicrous for anyone to call him selfish?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is a team of probably the worst cricketers to get a second chance (and more) from India in test matches.(There is no keeper). They have played at least two test matches each and are batting in positions in which they have batted at least once in tests.

They have played a combined total of 49 tests for the following cumulative stats.

- Tests : 49
- Runs : 691
- Bat Avg : 9.5
- 50's : 0
- 100's 0

- Wkts : 15
- Bowl avg : 129.3
- Strike Rate : 259.6

.......... Player....Tests....Runs....Avg....Wkts....Avg....Str Rate
1 Nayak Suru....2.....5....1....132....231
2 Punjabi P....5....164....16.4
3 Kishenchand....5....89....8.9
4 Nayudu CS....11....147....9.2....2....179.5.... 261
5 Vizzy(Captain)....3....33....8.25
6 Narasimha Rao....4....46....9.2....3....75.7....154.33
7 Kirti Azad.....7....135.....11.25....3....124.3....250
8 Rangnekar....3....33....5.5
9 Guha...4. ....17....3.4....3,,,,103.7....224.7

10 Chaudhary Nirodhe.... 2....3....3....1....205....516
11 Nilesh Kulkarni....3.... 5....5....2....166....369

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SJS said:
Here is a team of probably the worst cricketers to get a second chance (and more) from India in test matches.(There is no keeper). They have played at least two test matches each and are batting in positions in which they have batted at least once in tests.

They have played a combined total of 49 tests for the following cumulative stats.

- Tests : 49
- Runs : 691
- Bat Avg : 9.5
- 50's : 0
- 100's 0

- Wkts : 15
- Bowl avg : 129.3
- Strike Rate : 259.6

.......... Player....Tests....Runs....Avg....Wkts....Avg....Str Rate
1 Nayak Suru....2.....5....1....132....231
2 Punjabi P....5....164....16.4
3 Kishenchand....5....89....8.9
4 Nayudu CS....11....147....9.2....2....179.5.... 261
5 Vizzy(Captain)....3....33....8.25
6 Narasimha Rao....4....46....9.2....3....75.7....154.33
7 Kirti Azad.....7....135.....11.25....3....124.3....250
8 Rangnekar....3....33....5.5
9 Guha...4. ....17....3.4....3,,,,103.7....224.7

10 Chaudhary Nirodhe.... 2....3....3....1....205....516
11 Nilesh Kulkarni....3.... 5....5....2....166....369

Leicestershire?

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
And who says he is close to Bradman ? Being Second best doesn't equate to 'CLOSE'.

The topper in my class always scored 99 % (sometime even 100) in maths and Science, the next guy would end up with 65ish %. Was he close to the topper, NO. Was he second Best - YES.

Now I expect you to come up with half baked idiotic theories like you do all the time.
i didnt say he was close to bradman, i said in reality he wasnt close to being 2nd best, in other words he isnt a fly on gary sober's back.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
i've in the past made a list of 25 players who could all claim to be better than tendulkar. AFAIC there are 2 indian batsman who are better than him, forget about being in the top 3 ever.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
No players like Gary Sobers Greg Chappell, Viv Richards, Steve Waugh, Brian Lara, Rahul Dravid, Sunil Gavaskar, Javed Miandad, Dennis Compton, Walter Hammond, Len Hutton and i could go on forever.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No players like Gary Sobers Greg Chappell, Viv Richards, Steve Waugh, Brian Lara, Rahul Dravid, Sunil Gavaskar, Javed Miandad, Dennis Compton, Walter Hammond, Len Hutton and i could go on forever.
Haha.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
So Why Stop..Let's see if you can count till 25 and in the above list none except Sobers Hammond and Hutton have better average than Tendulkar.

Btw - Rahul Dravid in last century wasn't half the player that he is in this century.