• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

tooextracool

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Tendulkar, in my opinion, really is the second or maybe third best batsman. Bradman first, and then debatable. At the worst, I would not place him outside the top five to have ever played.

SHRUG, you can have whaterver opinions you want, but I would easily field him in my all time test and all time ODI sides without blinking. Obviously Sobers and Bradman are the only two no-argument selections, but Tendulkar finds a place comfortably.
my opinion about tendulkar is well known. I wouldnt have him in my top 25 ever let alone top 3. There are cleary several other players who are better under pressure, and several players who can perform in all conditions.

tooextracool

International Coach
silentstriker said:
We are not speaking now, but the entire span of their careers.
Yes even over their careers, Dravid has performed far more consistently in all conditions against all teams. Further Dravids accomplishment of winning a test(and the series) outside the subcontinent recently was something that Sachin never accomplished at any point of his career.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Yes even over their careers, Dravid has performed far more consistently in all conditions against all teams. Further Dravids accomplishment of winning a test(and the series) outside the subcontinent recently was something that Sachin never accomplished at any point of his career.
Sachin has been the top scorer in tests that India won outside of the subcontinent twice. Once he made a big hundred in a huge Indian score at Headingley, and the other time (probably the bigger impact) he was the only century maker in the test against the West Indies in 2002, albeit against a horrible bowling attack. Not quite on par with Dravid's achievements overseas, but he certainly contributed as much as you could expect in both those wins.

edit: also, since 1990 India have only won 7 tests outside the subcontinent. Two of those were against the new Zimbabwe team, one was just a few days back where Tendulkar didn't play, and in the other four he was top scorer twice and second highest scorer once (against Zimbabwe in 2001, behind SS Das). The only Indian win in which he didn't contribute was the Adelaide test against Australia. You could perhaps argue that Tendulkar's lack of performance in certain situations contributed to India's inability to win overseas, but Dravid was playing in most of those matches that India failed to win too, so it is not as though he's been winning games for years while Tendulkar has gone missing.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Sachin has been the top scorer in tests that India won outside of the subcontinent twice. Once he made a big hundred in a huge Indian score at Headingley, and the other time (probably the bigger impact) he was the only century maker in the test against the West Indies in 2002, albeit against a horrible bowling attack. Not quite on par with Dravid's achievements overseas, but he certainly contributed as much as you could expect in both those wins.
he may have to top scored but neither was a match winning innings. At headingly there were 2 other centurions and one half centurion on what was an extremely extremely flat pitch. At Trinidad he was assisted by both Dravid and Laxman who both scored half centuries before he failed when it really mattered in the 2nd innings.
Dravid single handedly won that game for India which was the point i was trying to make. Sachin merely contributed towards victory on a very flat wicket.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
edit: also, since 1990 India have only won 7 tests outside the subcontinent. Two of those were against the new Zimbabwe team, one was just a few days back where Tendulkar didn't play, and in the other four he was top scorer twice and second highest scorer once (against Zimbabwe in 2001, behind SS Das). The only Indian win in which he didn't contribute was the Adelaide test against Australia. You could perhaps argue that Tendulkar's lack of performance in certain situations contributed to India's inability to win overseas, but Dravid was playing in most of those matches that India failed to win too, so it is not as though he's been winning games for years while Tendulkar has gone missing.
Dravid's done it twice already- once in Australia, and once very recenly. This despite having considerably less chances to do so than Tendulkar. Dont think i'll be thinking too hard to decide which one is better.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
tooextracool said:
my opinion about tendulkar is well known. I wouldnt have him in my top 25 ever let alone top 3. There are cleary several other players who are better under pressure, and several players who can perform in all conditions.

Yes, I know your opinion. I think its flat out wrong, but nonetheless its yours.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd go for Richards and Greg Chappell, personally.

Not bad choices, though I'd go for more destructive batsman than Chappell in an all time team. Thats why I picked Tendulkar over more defensive players. But Chappel wouldn't be a bad choice at all obviously. Like I said, after Bradman and Sobers, the rest are arguable.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
People like Merchant and Ranji might care to disagree. But I agree with you actually.

1) Tendulkar
2) Gavaskar
3) Dravid

Though, Dravid is climbing, and climbing fast. Sachin has ended bowling careers, it wasn't that he averaged a large amount, it was the manner in which he destroyed attacks, all over the world. While Gavaskar and Dravid were accumulators and occupied the crease for longer, they do not get on top of bowling like Sachin did in the 90's.
merchant and ranji....i obviously haven't seen them play, from all accounts they were fine batsmen....but this kind of consistent excellence under pressure is something rare indeed and in this team of flat-track bullies and an out-of-form sachin, he is really the only world-class batsman we have.....in my mind he has done more than enough to be ranked third.....sunny g was more technically proficient and tendulkar more naturally talented but dravid's concentration, determination and staying power are second to none....

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
tooextracool said:

Quoted for truth, I wud put sachin in my top 25 however but probably outside top 5

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Yes, right now Dravid is. I didn't know we were limiting our choices on current form. Sachin carried the batting for nearly a decade.
i was talking about the current team...tendulkar and gavaskar are the best indian batsmen ever, dravid has recently earned his third place....

Langeveldt

Soutie
I've seen Kallis called over rated on here, but he isn't even rated! I guess people expect him to be a better bowler than he is, or to score more quickly.. He's the only player in world cricket with a defens as good as Dravid, if not, better...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I've seen Kallis called over rated on here, but he isn't even rated! I guess people expect him to be a better bowler than he is, or to score more quickly.. He's the only player in world cricket with a defens as good as Dravid, if not, better...
and if you add in 200 Test wickets....

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Kallis is rated about right really can score heavily when he digs in but always questioned about playing for his average and a bowler that has lost some of his former nip, but still bowls a good line and can swing it (I can't remember if kallis is more outswing or inswing.)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis is phenomenal but I find him boring, cant say exactly why.

He is a robot.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Dravid's done it twice already- once in Australia, and once very recenly. This despite having considerably less chances to do so than Tendulkar. Dont think i'll be thinking too hard to decide which one is better.
Ofcourse it isn't when one is so blatantly biased when it comes to Tendulkar. Any opinion that says Tendulkar isn't in his top 25 isn't worth the **** of pony who finished last in the derby.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
Ofcourse it isn't when one is so blatantly biased when it comes to Tendulkar. Any opinion that says Tendulkar isn't in his top 25 isn't worth the **** of pony who finished last in the derby.

I guess people have their own opinions. I mean, even if I don't agree with it, I can see having Tendulkar outside the top five and maybe you can make an argument about not being the top 10. But to say he wouldn't be in top 25....well I just can't take that person seriously. Thats like arguing that Pathan is a better all rounder than Sobers.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
ive never been biased against tendulkar and im merely calling it like i see it. if you think im biased for not having him in my top 25, talk about someone being biased for having him in his top 3 ever.