• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i didnt say he was close to bradman, i said in reality he wasnt close to being 2nd best, in other words he isnt a fly on gary sober's back.
This is what you said :-

The majority of the world do think that hes God or second best to Bradman. With all due respect hes not even close to either one of them.
Now I expect you to come up and rant about my understanding of the English Language. And yeah He isn't a fly over Sobers despite averaging better than him In Australia, In england , In NZ, In Pakistan. He also averages better against Australia, England and NZ. sobers better against Pak. An away average of 56 compared to Sobers 51 which is supposedly the main criteria you use whenever you use Rahul Dravid to distinguish with other batsmen.
Now I expect you to come up with another useless rant against Tendulkar.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
This is what you said :-

Now I expect you to come up and rant about my understanding of the English Language. And yeah He isn't a fly over Sobers despite averaging better than him In Australia, In england , In NZ, In Pakistan. He also averages better against Australia, England and NZ. sobers better against Pak. An away average of 56 compared to Sobers 51 which is supposedly the main criteria you use whenever you use Rahul Dravid to distinguish with other batsmen.
Now I expect you to come up with another useless rant against Tendulkar.

Sobers as a player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tendulkar
Sobers, purely as a batsman < Tendulkar IMO

Sobers wasn't great because of his batting, he was great because of his fielding, batting and bowling (spin + pace). He could replace like five people.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SilentStriker - I am not even saying that Sachin is a better batsman than Sobers just commenting on TEC's remarks that Sachin "isnt a fly on gary sober's back." which is just ridiculous and idiotic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
SilentStriker - I am not even saying that Sachin is a better batsman than Sobers just commenting on TEC's remarks that Sachin "isnt a fly on gary sober's back." which is just ridiculous and idiotic.

Yea, I know, I am just giving my opinion. If you say Sobers was a better batsman (and thats a perfectly valid opinion, and I'm still up in the air on that), thats fine. But the reason Sobers is rated so high is not because of his batting (or his batting + bowling). He could bowl spin and pace, and he was amazing with the bat, and phenominal in the slips.

C_C

International Captain
Sorry but namby-pambies like Hammond and all playing in the amatuer era have nothing on someone like Doug walters, let alone Tendulkar. And anyone who tihnks a buncha amatuers compare to professional players are caught up in the 'glory days of mother britain', which sadly excels in inventing a sport and then getting owned at it by others.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Sorry but namby-pambies like Hammond and all playing in the amatuer era have nothing on someone like Doug walters, let alone Tendulkar. And anyone who tihnks a buncha amatuers compare to professional players are caught up in the 'glory days of mother britain', which sadly excels in inventing a sport and then getting owned at it by others.

You post some of the most uneducated stuff and you seem to have a bottomless pool.

To call Hammond namby-pamby is a massive insult and to then accuse people of only rating him because they are harking back to some form of historical glory days that never existed is even more so.. You are so biased and blinded by agendas that everything you say is devalued as it is clouded by these prejudices.

- Hammond was a professional to start is career and only converted to amateur when the carrot of the England captaincy was placed in front of him.
- The grind of the County circuit in those days was far tougher than anything modern players experience.
- He, allegedly, had to play with and deal with (the at the time incureable disease) syphilis
- He had large financial problems relating from his switch to amateur status that many modern players do not have to deal with.

I never thought Id say this, but where is Richard so I can at least reply to some halfway reasonable posts on cricket?

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
C_C said:
The fact that some didn't play for money back then doesn't necessarily mean they tried any less hard - if anything, the pressure of cricket as your livelihood has heightened pressure and broken many a man (and a fair few women, I'd expect). It's very presumptuous to take Bradman, O'Reilly, Hammond, Verity and hundreds of others any less seriously simply because they didn't necessarily play for keeps (but many of them did). The fact that they gave up most of their best days of their life for cricket - which could have been spent on real jobs - says enough about their passion and commitment to the game.

You don't need bowling machines, laptops and reams of ODIs to become a great.