• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2000s debutant test XI

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith
Sehwag
Sangakkara
Smith
Younis
De Villiers+
Jadeja
Ashwin
Cummins
Steyn
Bumrah

This is the only correct XI.

Edit: Watling keeping is also viable.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
Actually knew how to score tons
Would have struggled big time outside Asia with the way he played pace bowling. He was not an all round player like Joe Root. He was superb vs spin but the difference vs pace is big enough in my opinion.

Younis barely played a lot of matches outside Asia and it helps in boosting stats vs minnow nations as compared to Root who plays 5 tests series vs top teams like India and Australia regularly.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
He struggled but managed to score runs.
This. I remember often watching Younis look like he was struggling in an away series. First game might get no runs, next game somehow scratches out a ugly 50, final game gets a double hundred despite looking uncomfortable for most of it.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would have struggled big time outside Asia with the way he played pace bowling. He was not an all round player like Joe Root. He was superb vs spin but the difference vs pace is big enough in my opinion.

Younis barely played a lot of matches outside Asia and it helps in boosting stats vs minnow nations as compared to Root who plays 5 tests series vs top teams like India and Australia regularly.
Yeah because Root's record in India and Australia is so outstanding whereas Younis struggled. Rubbish. Root is better in SA and NZ conditions and that's about it. Younis struggled against lateral movement somewhat but he still got runs on tours where he looked like he struggled. He has a 150 everywhere he played. It Root was this super versatile all conditions player, his record would reflect it but it doesn't. Younis thugged out runs despite apparent limitations and Root throws it away when he "shouldn't" much more often but that just makes Younis a more effective batsman. Root's case simply comes down to having a simplistic outlook on what constitutes a more naturally talented batsman. Give me Younis in the vast majority of conditions I doubt he'll go 18 months without scoring a ton.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
This. I remember often watching Younis look like he was struggling in an away series. First game might get no runs, next game somehow scratches out a ugly 50, final game gets a double hundred despite looking uncomfortable for most of it.
Younis is no doubt an excellent test player but when you pit him up vs all round top class players like Root, Kohli and de Villiers, I think he would fall short for this reason. It's like not looking comfortable but still keeping a hope that somehow runs will come. That certainly don't boost as much confidence as all round all conditions players like Kohli, de Villiers and Root boost against all types of bowling.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah because Root's record in India and Australia is so outstanding whereas Younis struggled. Rubbish. Root is better in SA and NZ conditions and that's about it. Younis struggled against lateral movement somewhat but he still got runs on tours where he looked like he struggled. He has a 150 everywhere he played. It Root was this super versatile all conditions player, his record would reflect it but it doesn't. Younis thugged out runs despite apparent limitations and Root throws it away when he "shouldn't" much more often but that just makes Younis a more effective batsman. Root's case simply comes down to having a simplistic outlook on what constitutes a more naturally talented batsman. Give me Younis in the vast majority of conditions I doubt he'll go 18 months without scoring a ton.
Root has a good record in India and everywhere else except Australia.

Younis record is poor in South Africa and West Indies. In Australia, it was poor as well but he managed to score a 170+ on a lifeless flat pitch in Sydney in a dead rubber. In high profile games away from home, he is likely to fail as compared to Kohli, Root and de Villiers.

Nonetheless, he is an excellent player of spin and I will pick him in Asia. But outside Asia, certainly No.