• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of the West Indies, AUGUST 6th to 26th, 2024-- 2 TESTS & 3 T20Is

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not a fan of de zorzi's aesthetics, NGL. Gives me chanderpaul vibes with how hes crouching and hasn't really moved his feet much vs the full balls.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm very much in the to be convinced Stubbs is a number 3 in test cricket. He was looking okay but that's a nothing defensive shot with an angled bat.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing shot but nice catch. Important wicket for the Windies as they can control the tempo.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I'm very much in the to be convinced Stubbs is a number 3 in test cricket. He was looking okay but that's a nothing defensive shot with an angled bat.
I feel the same way about Conrad, his test selections have been all over the place, if he doesn't win this series I think he should come under pressure..

A lot of square peg in round hole selections..

Dendarii

International Debutant
Stubbs gone , has he ever batted at no.3 in red ball cricket in domestic cricket ?
It's not the same thing, but when he made his triple century he batted at 4 but came in quite early (the score was only 20). So it's not like he's had no experience against a newish ball, but that was against KwaZulu-Natal Inland and the West Indies are a different prospect.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I feel the same way about Conrad, his test selections have been all over the place, if he doesn't win this series I think he should come under pressure..

A lot of square peg in round hole selections..
Who bats 3 if you go with this lineup? Both openers can but it isn't like Bavuma would take that gig and you are not messing with Bedingham. You can put Rickelton there, but I suspect he is there as they don't fancy Verreynne.

SeamUp

International Coach
He scored his SA A hundred in Sri Lanka at 3 too.

Personally would go Bavuma 3, Bedingham 4 & let Stubbs ease in but maybe this has been lined up for a while & Conrad is just genuinely backing him there for long-term planning & considering we play such little test cricket. He was talking more about Stubbs' psyche being prepared for the challenge.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from the T20 WC and a couple of games in January, he hasn't played any international cricket. He's only been involved in T20 comps and domestic stuff so resting him from internationals to manage his workload just sounds weird to me.
They also cited mental well-being when at the same time he was playing cricket in the US.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stubbs gone , has he ever batted at no.3 in red ball cricket in domestic cricket ?
Big ask to do it in your second test lol
No. This is very much a thrown in the deep end let him learn because he is that talented. Time will tell. Just as long as they give him a proper run.

StephenZA

Apart from the T20 WC and a couple of games in January, he hasn't played any international cricket. He's only been involved in T20 comps and domestic stuff so resting him from internationals to manage his workload just sounds weird to me.
There was an article that looked at his workload and it was more than you realise. And the vast majority of it was actually for SA itself.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm really enjoying Zorzi's innings so far. He epitomizes the modern-day batsman, in contrast to Elgar, whose place he took in the team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What's up with the balance of the sides here?

If I were the Windies you'd surely have rather picked an extra bat/allrounder than have Holder at 6 only to afford Warrican as a 5th bowler, who hasn't had a look for the first 40 overs. Especially with the opposition also being stronger in the bowling.

Meanwhile RSA are playing two wicketkeepers 6-7 and a batting allrounder at 8.

StephenZA

Meanwhile RSA are playing two wicketkeepers 6-7 and a batting allrounder at 8.
None of the SA supporters understand it. Probably the coach couldn't make up his mind between the batsmen so played them all. Dropping the extra bowler.

SeamUp

International Coach
None of the SA supporters understand it. Probably the coach couldn't make up his mind between the batsmen so played them all. Dropping the extra bowler.
Ha! It's like we've gone the opposite way after having Jansen at 7 when we felt like we went in with a batsman light.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Who bats 3 if you go with this lineup? Both openers can but it isn't like Bavuma would take that gig and you are not messing with Bedingham. You can put Rickelton there, but I suspect he is there as they don't fancy Verreynne.
I wouldn't go with this lineup , but if I did it would have to be De Zorzi , who has batted at no.3 in domestic and test cricket before ..

StephenZA

Ha! It's like we've gone the opposite way after having Jansen at 7 when we felt like we went in with a batsman light.
What I would like to see is the Mulder, Verreynne, Jansen at 6,7,8 for a period of time and see how they go. Or else pick Rickelton and then have Rickelton, Mulder and Jansen at 6,7,8. But pick one and stick with it for a few tests.

SeamUp

International Coach
What I would like to see is the Mulder, Verreynne, Jansen at 6,7,8 for a period of time and see how they go. Or else pick Rickelton and then have Rickelton, Mulder and Jansen at 6,7,8. But pick one and stick with it for a few tests.
Same. Think we need to go 7/4 split even when Jansen is back.

There is pressure on Mulder and deservedly so for his international career so far. Maybe coming in at 8 with 'less pressure' can give him a release. He got into a good groove in the SA20 showing how dominant he can be with the bat.

Still feel Verreynne deserves some lee-way too. He is a better gloveman than Rickelton. Many are calling for Rickelton to replace him as wk bit I like the fact both are playing here.