• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, it's a shame. He was a player I always really enjoyed watching, but there's no denying he just didn't kick on in the way his early appearances suggested he would. Injuries no doubt to blame for that in part.
More talented than Saka imo. Just didn't realise his potential for numerous reasons but Fulham is a good move and it's the right time.

If Arsenal can get this Merino deal done that would be enormous and put them favourites in my book. Left-footed CM who's got an engine, technically sound and brings physicality, pretty much the exact profile they missed without Xhaka last season.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Who is Susan Hall?
Oh sorry, that was far too obscure on my part. She was the defeated Tory candidate in the London Mayor election a few months ago. And her sour face during Khan's post-count speech was a classic of its kind. Anyway, I didn't really mean to stir up any serious discussion of Khan's policies on this thread, so no offence intended on my part.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just saw he had said about Liverpool fans in America deserving the chance to see their team as he is a fan.

I genuinely think it will happen eventually but maybe not till Wrexham get to top flight if they can afford to fund it that far.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
This **** about playing games overseas is so ****ing rotten. The most American **** you could think of - **** them.
Why not just turn it off?

They're meaningless games, makes sense to give overseas fans the opportunity to watch their favourite players/clubs live. I have no idea how they go about choosing the locations though that's got me stumped.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not just turn it off?

They're meaningless games, makes sense to give overseas fans the opportunity to watch their favourite players/clubs live. I have no idea how they go about choosing the locations though that's got me stumped.
The idea of playing Premier League games overseas is being floated again. He's referring to that, not the pre-season tours.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like most of Rangers better players want to leave

oh dear my mistake ENGLISH football thread

not relevant posting about a micky mouse club in Scotland
This is why I say that the substance of these threads means they should be called European Football not English

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man
I cant figure out if August is going to be crazy busy with transfers or if the market is just having a quiet off-season. Seems the international tournaments have definitely impacted transfer plans so far but also FFP must be restricting some of the activity too. Only a handful of clubs are actually making moves and its not the usual suspects.

LFC have been remarkably quiet. To some degree it's concerning as we absolutely need to rejuvenate areas of the squad, but I'm also quite calm given there's a new manager and regime. It's only fair Slot takes some time to assess the squad and work with the new DOF on the right targets and strategy.

I think we need a CB, CDM, back-up RW, LB and back-up GK. Of those I think at best we'll sign three. FSG are playing with fire by choosing this summer to be conservative, especially given the momentum we're losing with Klopp's departure and the succession planning around VVD/Salah. I'm actually optimistic that with the Edwards regime things will be more sustainable in the long term but there could be some teething issues early if the on-field results aren't good.

I have almost no confidence we're competing for the league this season - there is just a bit too much to do to catch City and Arsenal. I'm also expecting a transition in playing style too and it could be months before Slot knows his best XI. He's no doubt going to need time to learn how to navigate UCL and fixture congestion.

All that said, I'm not overly concerned anyone is catching us. United are making a better fist of their strategy but have a clueless manager, Chelsea seem hamstrung by FFP and have a new manager, Newcastle can't spend, and Spurs are irrelevant. Only really Villa and West Ham have strengthened, and even in doing so Villa have lost their best player from last season.

Too early for predictions but it's a very strange market. Hopefully some more dominos start to fall soon
Absolutely fear slot might not be ideal candidate to manage lfc think they should chosen somebody like glansner or tuchel

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Absolutely fear slot might not be ideal candidate to manage lfc think they should chosen somebody like glansner or tuchel
Too soon to say. I've been encouraged by what I've seen so far, he's quite charismatic and doesn't have a massive ego. Interestingly the players already seem to like him which is good too. He will give the likes of Van den Berg, Carvalho, Morton etc a go before deciding on their futures too whereas they were gone for all money otherwise. I actually think he'll be more tactically astute than Klopp, definitely seems to be more of a coach than a manager.

The other side of it all is that we still haven't extended Salah, VVD or Trent. The entire project and future of the club is up in the air if Trent leaves, which I think right now is a 50/50 possibility.

None of the contract mess falls on Slot but it'll be a hammer blow to the regime if they can't resolve those ASAP. I'd just about take no signings this summer if it meant we re-sign two of those three, one being Trent.

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man
Too soon to say. I've been encouraged by what I've seen so far, he's quite charismatic and doesn't have a massive ego. Interestingly the players already seem to like him which is good too. He will give the likes of Van den Berg, Carvalho, Morton etc a go before deciding on their futures too whereas they were gone for all money otherwise. I actually think he'll be more tactically astute than Klopp, definitely seems to be more of a coach than a manager.

The other side of it all is that we still haven't extended Salah, VVD or Trent. The entire project and future of the club is up in the air if Trent leaves, which I think right now is a 50/50 possibility.

None of the contract mess falls on Slot but it'll be a hammer blow to the regime if they can't resolve those ASAP. I'd just about take no signings this summer if it meant we re-sign two of those three, one being Trent.
Hoping for the best🙂