• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

ripper868

International Coach
English Football shouldn't be taken overseas, it also shouldn't take overseas players to play English Football, locals only from here on out. If you aint born within 5 miles of a club, you can't play for them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
English Football shouldn't be taken overseas, it also shouldn't take overseas players to play English Football, locals only from here on out. If you aint born within 5 miles of a club, you can't play for them.
If these 5 miles are as the crow flies, then I’m all for it

ripper868

International Coach
If these 5 miles are as the crow flies, then I’m all for it
Would actually be interested to see what best 11's each Prem (and every team in the system) team could make with 'local born' players. Sure it's been done somewhere.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Works for bilbao, although a lot bigger region that 5 miles radius.
There was a time I guess barcelona squad would have been 14/15 catalan and they were the best in the world. Obviously would have lost Messi though!

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
There was a time I guess barcelona squad would have been 14/15 catalan and they were the best in the world. Obviously would have lost Messi though!
You might be overstating that.. if its the ~2009 squad you're referring to which won the treble. From memory it was Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and maybe Bojan (I think he was in that squad). There might be one or two others that were just squad fodder.

It did have a couple other Spanish players like Pedro and Thiago who weren't Catalonian.

I did just get to reminisce on that team in typing this out and that was rather enjoyable - Yaya, Eto'o, Henry, Marquez, Alves, Gudjohnsen ... what a side. One of the more uncelebrated players in that side was Seydou Keita. Extremely underrated, unless you talk to Sevilla or Lens fans.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Your best bet might be the Celtic side that won the 1967 European Cup; all of them born within 30 miles of Glasgow, and all but one having been brought up within 10 miles of Celtic's stadium.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
I just want to get in early and say watch this Savio (Savinho) guy at City. He will be a mega star in no time.

Few times I caught him for Girona last season he looked superb. My mate who is a La Liga tragic messaged me the very first time he saw him to say remember the name and he's not one to hype up young players.

I really hope Pep is reverting back to traditional wingers this season because Doku and Savio would be a lethal duo and a nice throwback to Sane & Sterling. Good way to close the book on the prem if it is in fact his last season.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Would actually be interested to see what best 11's each Prem (and every team in the system) team could make with 'local born' players. Sure it's been done somewhere.
There are so many pro and semi pro football teams that this probably results in 1-2 players your average follower has heard of playing for each team.

Saka for Brentford, Foden for Stockport, Grealish for Solihull, Rice for Wimbledon, etc.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Your best bet might be the Celtic side that won the 1967 European Cup; all of them born within 30 miles of Glasgow, and all but one having been brought up within 10 miles of Celtic's stadium.
I was going to say Rangers 1972 European Cup Winners Cup side might have been similar but off the top of my head John Greig was from Edinburgh and Derek Johnstone was from Dundee, both of which are more than 30 miles from Glasgow.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Well that was a fun watch, result aside just a really promising performance against a strong Arsenal side. Second half aside (which was basically all kids) we were the better team and patterns of play looked good. Slot definitely prefers a double pivot despite what he said in his press conference and we created chances at will.

Arsenal fans will no doubt not care about the result , nor should they, but saw some very familiar errors from them and even with the big names on the pitch they couldn't break us down. Their only goal was a lucky one.

Few points of note:
- Elliott in the 10 was the standout player on the pitch
- Szoboslai and Jones played well as two 6's
- Carvalho played really well on the left wing, great finish.
- Much better structure with Jota up front
- LFC kids in the 2nd half got dominated but Arsenal barely created anything
- Odegaard played 95min... weird
- Zinchenko still isn't good enough. He shouldn't be near starting.
- Fabio Viera ain't it
- Partey's legs are completely gone

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The best thing about United’s US tour is it’s over. Key injuries with some pretty average play by the squad. I can’t think of a single benefit other than some of the experience young players got. I guess none of Bruno, Mainoo or Shaw was on the tour was a win.

Casemiro, Sancho, Mount, Erikson, Antony and McTominay all looking like squad players who shouldn’t be near starting.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
The best thing about United’s US tour is it’s over. Key injuries with some pretty average play by the squad. I can’t think of a single benefit other than some of the experience young players got. I guess none of Bruno, Mainoo or Shaw was on the tour was a win.

Casemiro, Sancho, Mount, Erikson, Antony and McTominay all looking like squad players who shouldn’t be near starting.
Was a nice run out for our squad too.

Can't wait to see this team once we have Virgil, Trent, Cody, Diaz, Macca, Robbo, Ali and Darwin back. Not sure why Szobo didn't play.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Alvarez gone to Atleti. Deal agreed.

City are leaving their depth so short both up front and in midfield. Surely has to be the year Arsenal capitalise.